Can you request an ironing board?

train

They don't provide or allow you to bring an iron. I know, this is dumb but they must of had an off-putting experience like a fire that led to this. All I can say is, don't be shy about wearing wrinkled clothes because every is in the same boat (pardon the pun).

Like the previous poster said, they don't want you to bring an iron on, although I never knew this until recently. If you want to take the chance that it might be confiscated you can still bring it but I usually just make sure whatever it is that needs a little touch up, I put it in the bathroom on a hanger before my shower. I leave it there until everyone is finished showering and make sure the door stays closed. Most wrinkles will come out this way but if not, if it is a dress shirt or something, you can send it to be pressed which is half the price of the laundry. I've never had a problem with taking a travel iron and make sure it is unplugged of course when you leave for dinner. I think if you are careful you won't have a problem.

They also don't allow travel steamers. Your best bet is to enjoy the cruise and don't stress over some minor wrinkling.

Steamers are allowed...

Here is a list of the prohibited items...

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

Steamers are allowed...

Here is a list of the prohibited items...

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

From Celebrity's site FAQ's:

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

(Italics mine.)

Might as well bring an iron as a steamer.

Regards

Face it, you have two options a) dont worry about it, life is stressful enough beside worrying about how pressed your clothes are when on vacation, b) use the ships drycleaining service and they actually are very reasonable.

I even thought of this approach, back home I pay about the same for drycleaning as the ship charges, so to be most efficient, travel with dirty clothes and get them all dry-cleaned on the ship and start the week off with a freshly cleaned, fresh smelling and pressed set of clothes. This way you save the stress of packing perfectly, worrying about getting arrested for bringing a steamer or iron on board and you don't even have to worry about getting the clothes drycleaned in time for the cruise.

There are ways to relax wrinkles in fabric by using moisture from a steamy shower or with chemical sprays as mentioned before but that's not the same as having a freshly pressed garment, just my take on it as a former drycleaner.

OK, I admit now, as I have before, that I bring a travel iron. I use the onboard service to launder and press my tuxedo shirts and dress shirts, but I feel that it's a bit incongruous to "not worry about wrinkles" when I pack a tux and a suit as well as nice casual clothes. Wrinkled clothes looks like the were slept in. I'm not going to where jeans in the dining room nor wear unkempt clothes. I found that Downey Wrinkle Release is highly overrated Sometimes the steam in the shower is enough but not always and I don't want to be sending something out in a launder bag everyday. Sometimes things just need a crease or a touch-up.

Regards

train ~ cruise ships take fire hazards VERY seriously. When they tell you that irons and steamers are not allowed, they mean it. Sure, like anything else there are people who will attempt to ignore the rules. And I'm sure that people who bring them think "I'm very careful....nothing will ever happen." I just hope the rest of us aren't sailing on a ship with someone who violates the rule and is "less than careful." Please abide by this policy and do not bring an iron.

Somehow I missed it that irons are not allowed. I hate it when someone thinks the rules are made for everyone else but them, so I sure won't be bringing an iron.

Not that it matters, but I'm thinking irons and steamers are not allowed more so for the cruise line to gain extra fees from passengers who will send their clothes out to be pressed than that irons are considered a safety hazzard. If you think about it, curling irons and flat irons get super hot and left on by accident in the cabin probably more than a clothes iron would.

But rules are rules - no iron for me and I'm glad I found that out, so thanks for the replies.

Archived