Strollers for older child?

O_2_TRAVEL

My daughter will be 3 3/4 yo on our cruise. She doesn't use a stroller at home, but she is small enough to still fit in an umbrella stroller. I don't want to drag it along if we won't need it. But I hate needing something and not having it.

Has anyone taken an umbrella stroller for an older child and not used it?

Has anyone not taken a stroller for an older child and needed it?

You will not need it walking around the ship, but what about excursions. Will you be doing a fair bit of walking around on your own or will your shore trips be spent mostly at the beach or riding in a van or taxi? If I was going to be doing a lot of walking, I would bring it along. They can be checked with your other luggage as you embark and they really don't take up that much space.

I needed strollers for my twin 4 year olds at the end of the night when I picked them up from the kids club and they wanted to be carried.

I also was happy to have the stroller on all of our excursions - if they weren't sitting in it, our towels, water and snacks were in the basket and shopping bag on the handles - I also have a little travel potty I bring so we don't have to search for one when the sudden urge comes. But it was really nice to have it when they were tired/hot and didn't want to walk anymore.

Best,

Mia

My son will be 4.5 when we go next month and we are definitely taking the Maclaren Triumph (umbrella stroller). When we went on our first cruise my daughter was newly four and used it in all the ports. Neither of them use(d) strollers at home, but I liked it on the cruise. The walks around the ports can be long and even a bit shady. I liked having a safe place for them to rest.

I won't go on a cruise without our umbrella stroller for our 4 year old. It's not for the ship, it's for the ports. If I plan on walking around at all, then I want her in a stroller where she is safe.

If I could make my 9 year old stay in one, I would...lol. :p

There was a story around here about a child running into a store in Cozumel (at the port area) and a man exposed himself to the child. Her parents were about 20 feet behind her so they didn't see the incident. But the child was VERY upset when she came out of the store. That story kept flashing through my mind when we were in Cozumel last week. I kept my youngest strapped in while walking through the port area and my 9 year old had to stay with us at all times.

Pending on the port, some of the vendors are pretty agressive. So you will be happy to have the child close by.

We are taking a collapsable stroller for our 4 1/2 yr old who recently got a hairline fracture on her ankle just in case she gets tired thump, thump, thumping around the ship :o.

Anyway, we plan to just keeping it in the closet or sliding it under the bed. You should have plenty of room

My DD is the same age and we always bring one for her. She doesnt use it on the ship but definitely in ports. Some of the roads are narrow and busy and I feel safer knowing she wont dart into traffic because she is strapped into the stroller. Sometimes we let her walk and use it to carry the bags. Its better to take it and not need it.

I am happy to read these post stating the strollers you have taken aren't generally used on board the ship. On our Freedom of the Seas Cruise in Dec to the Caribbean there were A LOT and I do mean a lot of the very large strollers (you know the ones the size of a vw) on board. When "some" people are pushing one of thee they tend NOT to watch who thy run into as in the elderly and handicapped. Plus most of the strollers we saw were being used as baskets for trinkets and not for the baby. This was on board the ship. It was a huge problem and I had to bite my tongue many times to keep from being labeled a rude American. Thank you for not using them on board unless it is really necessary. The smaller ones weren't a problem but those big ones were. By all means do what ever you need to to keep your child safe but at the same time please be watchful.

Shankiko

we are going on a cruise with our 3 yr old and was told that carnival cruise does rent out strollers if you dont want to pack your stroller with you. dont know how much. you should check with your cruise and ask if they have stroller rentals.

Archived