Capt Dag's Homecoming 26 June 09.

OrpingtonT

"We did the first Capt. Dag homecoming cruise in 2007 and it was without question the finest voyage (cruise) I have been on. (Capt Dag referred to our cruise as a voyage because he was going to make changes that would improve our experience over what the schedule called for and did he ever)

Dag and Jamie (the cruise director) worked as one and you never knew what was next.

Look forward to trip that you will tell your friends about for years to come"

The above was posted on Voyager Roll Call by bigboofer on 8 Oct last year. I wonder what made that cruise so special. Was it solely the trip to Capt Dag's home village. was it the "Regent Experience" or was it the itinerary cruising the Norwegian coast? Was it similar to Alaska? Anyone been on that one and can comment?

Don't know, but we will be on this cruise and are really looking forward to it! I will report back along the way.

Yes. I had spotted that you were on it. We are considering booking and was interested in why the poster felt it was "without question the finest voyage (cruise)"

We are booked as well. There are a few friends booked as well. Looking forward to a terrific time. We loved the Chilian fjords and expect this to be just as wonderful. Having Capt. Dag is an added treat.

Is Dag the captain? I seem to remember someone saying he is not skipper for this year's cruise, though they still call it "Capt Dag's Homecoming"

Hey there Wendy...been meaning to send an email to you! Yes, we decided to cancel...painful decision as I was soooo looking forward to returning to my "roots"....there's no interest income at the moment and cannot touch the nest egg.

Please stay in touch....you have our email address! Keep warm up there!

I'm pretty sure I was on the 2008 cruise (time goes by so quickly) and it was really great. I don't think it was the first one Captain Dag hosted though. We had an emergency medical evacuation (obviously not intended) and as we had to turn around, Captain Dag found an ice pack for the ship to 'play in'. Jamie dressed as Santa Clause. The visit to Captain Dag's house was very pleasant - his wife greeted us with champagne and yummy cakes! The weather wasn't the best - it rained most days but that didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves. We were lucky enough to see Tromso in perfect weather and the view from the top of the chairlift was amazing. I think Captain Dag would have to been on the ship for it to be called after him as the visit to his home was one of the highlights.

We're also booked for this cruise and are really looking forward to it. It's our third attempt to do this cruise....like they say...third time lucky.

I think, but am not certain, that Capt. Dag will not be the captain on this cruise(hard to believe) BUT will be on board,so its still Capt. Dags Homecoming.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now put down my deposit and booked from Copenhagen back to Copenhagen on 26 June this year. The itinerary looks superb, though many of the excursions are not practicable for us because of my wife's limited mobility. We just hope that the crew will help at tendering time for Capt Dag's home village visit. We don't want to miss that.

Now we await the opening of RSC's "new" web site. I couldn't find the test site referred to in another thread, so cannot yet make even a provisional booking, but the promise is "ready on 2 March" so we shall see tomorrow.

Orpington, I'm so excited you are going to be on the cruise with us. Looking forward to meeting you and your wife.

Snobirdcruiser, I am looking forward to meeting you as well.

Me, too.

Your description of yourself, if I remember correctly, was petite with a tall son and a hunky husband. That's who I shall look out for!

I am an 82 year old looking about 102 with all the stress, trying to cope with luggage, wife and lightweight wheelchair after travelling from London. We have booked an H GTY, we shall see whatever we are allocated.

I looked up the ports on Google earth, the trip looks sensational. Even if we don't get off Voyager, it should be dreamy sailing along that coastline. I shall stay up all night looking for the Northern Lights! Mind you, a few Gin & Tonics and I will be seeing them all the time!

We will be hiking a lot, but even if you stay onboard the whole time, I think the scenery should just be spectacular.

Yes, I am a petite brunette with very tall son and husky (don't know about hunky but I think he pretty cute for a middle-aged guy) husband.

• 2 weeks later...

Orpington - We were on "Captain Dag's Norway" several years ago and loved the trip. The midnight sun is a remarkable experience. l recall standing out on our balcony at 2:30 a.m., sipping a nice 18-year-old single malt scotch, and marveling at the sun being so far above the horizon that it seemed as if it were late afternoon. Quite spectacular, indeed.

Some people on our cruise found the constant light terribly annoying and kvetched about the fact that their black-out curtains allowed the occasional stray ray of sun into their self-imposed cave. We, on the other hand, left all of our curtains completely open and had the pleasure of pretending that our overnight sleeps were in fact terribly indulgent afternoon naps.

As my partner has posted previously on this thread, the stop in Nevlunghavn is quite charming, even though it might seem (as it did to me) from the description to be a bit silly. In actual fact (as opposed to false fact, I suppose), that stop was one of the most memorable of the cruise. The "fleet" of local boats that came out to greet the ship and then to send it on its way was delightful, with the people waving their Norwegian flags. The local high school band playing on the pier to welcome the tenders was a genuinelly special cruise memory.

Enjoy the midnight sun!!

Cheers, Fred

We were on this cruise in the summer of 2007 and just loved it. The weather was not great, but we really didn't notice overall until after the fact - we had enjoyed it so much! Yes, if you are going to Svalbard, then you will experience about 5 days with no sun set at all. That was very cool, in our opinion. We "celebrated" (and took beautiful photos on the deck outside the Voyager Lounge) when we finally had a sunset as we were heading south.

Echo the comments about Captain Dag's village. Was a lot of fun (even in the rain!).

You are in for a treat!

Best, NJBelle

Thanks, Fred and NJBelle.

Aren't we lucky? These are scenes, places and experiences I read about as a boy, never dreaming that one day I would see them for myself.

Off topic, but I recall reading about Yellowstone and a few years ago was lucky enough to be able to visit. It was magical. There is a major new TV programme on Yellowstone on our BBC tv starting tonight and I am so looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelG viewpost.gif

ATTENTION: Dining reservations are now open for on line booking on this cruise. I just booked ours. Can't wait!

Thanks and I checked and can book. But I would like to know which nights are designated as Formal and Informal before I book. Do you (or anyone ) happen to know?

I have copied the above (posted today) from the "roll call" section for Voyager, 26th June for wider distribution.

progress.gif

Archived