Seattle ship to airport

Rainmn

The forum has helped me with both shuttle and hotel information. Thanks again.

I am booked on Golden for August 22-29 from pier 91. As I start to investigate flights, I see I can get a nonstop home to the East Coast at 10:30 a.m. I know I can make it in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but I also know that Pier 91 is still an unknown and I don't know Seattle Saturday morning traffic to SeaTac. There shouldn't be a hold-up since the ship will just be coming from the Victoria stop. Any chance of making it carrying our own luggage? Thanks.

The forum has helped me with both shuttle and hotel information. Thanks again.

I am booked on Golden for August 22-29 from pier 91. As I start to investigate flights, I see I can get a nonstop home to the East Coast at 10:30 a.m. I know I can make it in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but I also know that Pier 91 is still an unknown and I don't know Seattle Saturday morning traffic to SeaTac. There shouldn't be a hold-up since the ship will just be coming from the Victoria stop. Any chance of making it carrying our own luggage? Thanks.

You have to check in at SEA-Tac at 0830 for a 1030 flight. Even the express carry it yourself baggage people don't start to get off til about 7:30 to 8:00 if there are no hold ups. Then you will have to shuttle to the parking lot to get a taxi, town car or airport bus. Chances are pretty slim.

I'm with Karen on this also. We also live in the Seattle area and know how traffic can be here. I-5 is having a lot of work done to it over the weekends this summer. They are warning people here that there could be up to 40 minute delays through downtown Seattle. That being said, Pier 91 is a lot farther north than Pier 30 was and it isn't as easy to get to the freeway from there. It will definitely take longer to get to SeaTac from the new pier than anyone was used to from where the old pier was.

I'm with Karen on this also. We also live in the Seattle area and know how traffic can be here. I-5 is having a lot of work done to it over the weekends this summer. They are warning people here that there could be up to 40 minute delays through downtown Seattle. That being said, Pier 91 is a lot farther north than Pier 30 was and it isn't as easy to get to the freeway from there. It will definitely take longer to get to SeaTac from the new pier than anyone was used to from where the old pier was.

Not only that, but it IS two hours before for a domestic flight and three hours before for international here. And the TSA lines can often be more than an hour long as well during the summer with three ships on and offloading in one day along with the usual summer air traffic.

Ok- I went to the Sea Tac website and this is from their site...

2. How far ahead of time should I arrive at the airport for my flight?

For both domestic and international flights, it's best to get to the airport two hours before your departure time.

Not only that, but it IS two hours before for a domestic flight and three hours before for international here. And the TSA lines can often be more than an hour long as well during the summer with three ships on and offloading in one day along with the usual summer air traffic.

Hi Karen - our flight goes out at 6:05 a.m. on 05-19 - what time would we have to be at the airport to catch that flight? Any clues? I was thinking we would get there between 4:30 and 5.

Thanks in advance

Mary in NC

As others have stated, 91 is on the North side of the city. It looks about 5 miles further away from the airport and you will have to deal with traffic of the day.

As it happens, the one time we went out of Seattle, disembarkation STARTED after 9:45 AM. We don't need the hassle or the extra worry and travel the day before AND after the cruise.

Hi Karen - our flight goes out at 6:05 a.m. on 05-19 - what time would we have to be at the airport to catch that flight? Any clues? I was thinking we would get there between 4:30 and 5.

Thanks in advance

Mary in NC

Let's see. That's a Tuesday, and you will need to go southbound, which is less traveled than northbound during rush hour, but still.....surely no later than 4:30'ish.

Our cruise ends on a Sunday morning. I've been looking at flights leaving at 11:55. Would that be safe?

You stand a chance of making it, but Princess recommends nothing earlier than 1-1:30, and they do so for a reason. My guess is, the later in the season you sail (which you aren't), the better your chances would be, because they will (hopefully) have worked out some of the bugs from getting people on and off at the new terminal and worked out the transportation logistics.

If you are sailing earlier in the season, I would give some serious thought to leaving later than earlier.

Having disembarked in Seattle, let me tell you what the hold up may be. Customs! Unless they have straightnened out the problems with this, watch out! It took us 5 hours to get off the ship because of customs in Seattle. They scutinize everyone and greatly hold up all passengers. (Fortunately we had driven to the dock and had our car in the parking lot) Both HAL and Princess had made numerous complaints to Seattle officials about this major problem. Both cruise lines were threatening to move their ships to Vancouver and dump Seattle all together. Hopefully the problems with this port have been resolved, but I would not book a flight out of there until the afternoon. Don't ruin your whole cruise worrying if you will make it to the airport on disembarkation day.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.....

Judith

As always, thank you all for your input. I'll probably lean towards safety. I've found an inexpensive 12:30 one-stop. Two extra hours but at least we'll be on the plane. An untested pier and the possibility of having to shuttle to the cab stand . . .

Again, thanks.

Archived