Ice Caves Mendenhall Glacier

lilmiss

Hi everyone...I just saw some pictures of ice caves at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. It seems like the group of people hiked up to this spot at the foot of Mendenhall Glacier on their own without a guide.

My question now is: Are there any tours with a guide to this spot ?

Or is it possible to hike on your own ??? Since I am only in Juneau for a day

( with a cruise ) I don´t know if the time gets to short and if you need a car to get to the trail head. And is it really worth the long hike ??? Any trail suggestions ???

Sorry so man yquestions, but the pictures were awesome and made me really curious...:D

As BQ mentioned, ice caves are ephemeral and can be there one week and gone the next, as they can collapse without warning. It is not recommended that you enter an ice cave, and no self-respecting guide that wants to keep their insurance coverage will allow you to do so. If you want to access ice caves and take pictures from outside, the best bet is to hike the trail up to the glacier that takes off from near the skater's cabin (I can never remember if it is the east or west trail). It's a fairly long hike with a lot of scrambling over rocks as you get close to the glacier, with a fairly significant climb. I would budget at least 6-7 hours for the round trip hike. You also need a car to access the trailhead.

It's the West Glacier Trail, wolfie. Above and Beyond uses the East Glacier Trail to access, but it takes a good 6-7 hours for them too. I swear the photos on their site show people in the caves, but they are outfitted with helmets.

I've posted before that I don't consider the West Trail access for anyone but a local who can call for help or an experienced hiker who can read topo maps and make good decisions. A friend told me that from the large outcropping that's been revealed in the past few years, it's possible to view the caves but it's getting to it that's the problem.

Thanks, tee harbor. I hiked up there a couple of years ago with some friends and it was easy to see that the glacier was rapidly retreating. The last mile or so was a real scramble. It has probably retreated even further in the interim.

I saw the pictures on their website and it does indeed look like people (or at least the photographer) is in the ice cave. Still, not the smartest thing in the world to do, although I'm guilty of sticking my head in a few ice caves for photos.

Thx for all your replies..I am an experienced hiker, but considered the long hike and the short time I am in Juneau ( = 1 day ) I propably choose a guided hike, because I want to be back at the ship in time.

Oh yes, I would never ever go into one of those ice caves- I am way too scared that they might collapse !!!

How about the trails at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, how close can you actually get to the glacier ????

Thx for all your replies..I am an experienced hiker, but considered the long hike and the short time I am in Juneau ( = 1 day ) I propably choose a guided hike, because I want to be back at the ship in time.

Oh yes, I would never ever go into one of those ice caves- I am way too scared that they might collapse !!!

How about the trails at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, how close can you actually get to the glacier ????

There is NO glacier access from the visitor center trails and the "closest" full viewing trail is the short Photo Point trail, 10 minutes.

The East Loop, Nugget Creek have very little viewing of Mendenhall, mostly all wooded. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml

IF you are an experienced hiker, then I would think the west loop guided by Above and Beyond your best option.

Archived