Sad But True, the Up to the Minute Update on Terminal 91 Seattle

SeattleCruiselover

... with the ulterior motive of checking up on things at the new cruise terminal at Terminal 91 It was interesting to say the least. Current pictures may be found here:

Thanks for the pictures and updates. I used to work at Pier 91 many years ago when I was a kid processing seafood from Alaska (it probably all goes to Asia now). While I'm sure that the move will make it easier for the lines to turn their ships as well as providing room for growth, the passenger experience will be reduced from moving out of downtown.

I saw that you posted a picture of the Palisade restaurant. It used to be a pretty nice place to eat with a great view of Elliot Bay. Is it still any good?

I have the dreadful feeling that the first half of the season is not going to be pretty, until they get their routines down. (In fact, I am seriously considering rebooking to leave from Vancouver......:().

Note that I live about 3 miles from Terminal 91 and it was about $10.00 on the taxi meter.

I assume that you live on Queen Anne Hill or Magnolia. I can't image you driving to Vancouver as an alternate port compared with a short cab ride. I'm sure that any kinks will get worked out reasonably quickly.

Thanks for the pictures and updates. I used to work at Pier 91 many years ago when I was a kid processing seafood from Alaska (it probably all goes to Asia now). While I'm sure that the move will make it easier for the lines to turn their ships as well as providing room for growth, the passenger experience will be reduced from moving out of downtown.

I saw that you posted a picture of the Palisade restaurant. It used to be a pretty nice place to eat with a great view of Elliot Bay. Is it still any good?

I assume that you live on Queen Anne Hill or Magnolia. I can't image you driving to Vancouver as an alternate port compared with a short cab ride. I'm sure that any kinks will get worked out reasonably quickly.

The Palisade is said to be one of the best and most expensive ($30 for soup and salad) restaurants in Seattle. Food is still good, but too pricy for my wallet most of the time.

I live in Belltown, and I will take the train to Vancouver if I decide to go up there. (Actually my daughter wants to go to Sitka, and I'm not going to pay HAL's prices to do it. Will go with X if we go).

Yes, lucky you, you get to leave from Pier 66.

Yeah your right sounds like we are going to get lucky leaving from Pier 66. Thank you for letting me know and to everyone else that answered also. It is very much appreciated. Wow $30 for soup and salad sounds like that should be all you can eat. LOL :D

No, I still firmly believe that it is wrong that such idle speculation can be allowed to run rampage throught these boards. I don't know which is worse, the OP for starting such a campaign, based on conjecture or the gulible few who have perpetuated it.

Yeah your right sounds like we are going to get lucky leaving from Pier 66. Thank you for letting me know and to everyone else that answered also. It is very much appreciated. Wow $30 for soup and salad sounds like that should be all you can eat. LOL :D

Here is their current dinner menu. Good food, need reservations, but I would do it only for some super celebration.

http://www.r-u-i.com/pdf/menus/Palisade-Seattle-Dinner.pdf

I too drove over to Pier 91 to check it out and I am really, really nervous. There is one single winding road leading into and out of the port area. I spoke with the guard and he said he has no idea how they intend to get all of the supply trucks, and buses in and out in a reasonable amount of time, let alone the private passenger vehicles.

Yesterday I spoke with my local travel agent and she too said that they anticipate that it will be nothing less than a mess. I booked a repo that arrives into Seattle on May 10th, right after the new facility is supposed to open.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I too drove over to Pier 91 to check it out and I am really, really nervous. There is one single winding road leading into and out of the port area. I spoke with the guard and he said he has no idea how they intend to get all of the supply trucks, and buses in and out in a reasonable amount of time, let alone the private passenger vehicles.

Yesterday I spoke with my local travel agent and she too said that they anticipate that it will be nothing less than a mess. I booked a repo that arrives into Seattle on May 10th, right after the new facility is supposed to open.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is concerned about this. I have a call in to the facility mananger to ask her some hard questions about this, just waiting for her to call back. I will report in when I hear from her.

Help in Seattle! Sounds like you know more than many I have tried to get info from.

We are unfamiliar with Seattle and want to drive and park in July to Pier 91. I informed our agent that there was a new pier, and she had no idea yet! I contacted Princess and they suggested to the Seattle port site, which has nothing posted yet.

Princess said parking should be about $20.00 per day!! yikes! Any suggestions needed and willing to stay at a hotel out farther away and take shuttle or bus in.

I will continue reading your posts! THANKS!!

maybe I could get some input from you smarties. I have been checking the flights and am interested in booking Southwest Airlines home to Texas but just how if the ship docks in Vancouver. What is it like to get to the airport? Which airport do you leave from customarily? Also thought about Southwest to Seattle and then flying in to Fairbanks for our cruise/tour but the fare looks like we would spend almost the same amount for the shorter leg.??? Any input for me on this? Princess thinks they are booking our flights but if I can get it cheaper, I will cancel that. Help me please.

maybe I could get some input from you smarties. I have been checking the flights and am interested in booking Southwest Airlines home to Texas but just how if the ship docks in Vancouver. What is it like to get to the airport? Which airport do you leave from customarily? Also thought about Southwest to Seattle and then flying in to Fairbanks for our cruise/tour but the fare looks like we would spend almost the same amount for the shorter leg.??? Any input for me on this? Princess thinks they are booking our flights but if I can get it cheaper, I will cancel that. Help me please.

If your cruise ends in Vancouver, the earliest you could make a flight out of SeaTac (SEA) would be 4pm. If you are flying to Dallas for example, the latest flight out on Southwest would be 2pm - too early for you to make so you'd have to stay over a night and fly home the next day. Don't forget to look at flights from Vancouver (YVR). You may find that you won't save much flying out of SEA once you calculate the additional transportation costs (and time involved).

From Vancouver to Seattle, most of the cruiselines offer transfers. A lot of people though opt for Quick Shuttle. http://www.quickcoach.com/ Another option if you fly home the day after your cruise is to take Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle - the train back to Seattle leaves early evening so you could tour Vancouver for the day, catch the train to Seattle, get a hotel by the airport for the evening, and then fly home the next morning.

Help in Seattle! Sounds like you know more than many I have tried to get info from.

We are unfamiliar with Seattle and want to drive and park in July to Pier 91. I informed our agent that there was a new pier, and she had no idea yet! I contacted Princess and they suggested to the Seattle port site, which has nothing posted yet.

Princess said parking should be about $20.00 per day!! yikes! Any suggestions needed and willing to stay at a hotel out farther away and take shuttle or bus in.

I will continue reading your posts! THANKS!!

I just heard. They have raised the parking rate from $12.50 per day to $20.00 per day, plus a $2.00 fee (I think that one is one time) for online reservations for the parking lot.

There are park and cruise hotels, both at the airport and downtown. You can see a list of them here:

http://www.visitseattle.org/visitors/cruise/packages.asp

If your cruise ends in Vancouver, the earliest you could make a flight out of SeaTac (SEA) would be 4pm. If you are flying to Dallas for example, the latest flight out on Southwest would be 2pm - too early for you to make so you'd have to stay over a night and fly home the next day. Don't forget to look at flights from Vancouver (YVR). You may find that you won't save much flying out of SEA once you calculate the additional transportation costs (and time involved).

From Vancouver to Seattle, most of the cruiselines offer transfers. A lot of people though opt for Quick Shuttle. http://www.quickcoach.com/ Another option if you fly home the day after your cruise is to take Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle - the train back to Seattle leaves early evening so you could tour Vancouver for the day, catch the train to Seattle, get a hotel by the airport for the evening, and then fly home the next morning.

Thank you, Ms Wrona. The Seattle CVB owes you another nickel. (Being an attorney, YOU might even be able to collect from them for services rendered.......:D )

This NOT good news. We're going out on the Amsterdam on May 16 - just their second sailing of the year. I live in Seattle but that doesn't seem like it's going to be any help other than knowing where Pier 91 is to begin with. I also can't see sclepping my bags so far - maybe the porters will be at the drop off area (and maybe pigs will fly).

Thank you, Ms Wrona. The Seattle CVB owes you another nickel. (Being an attorney, YOU might even be able to collect from them for services rendered.......:D )

I'm just good at remembering what other helpful people have already researched.:p

We have a whole bunch of folks leaving on the Princess Star on Sunday, May 24th. I guess this will be the third or fourth week of usage? Hopefully things are better by then. The majority of us are getting to Seattle a day or two before so delays will be nothing more than a big inconvenience. However I have more concern about Sunday, May 31st when we return. I have gambled on a flight leaving Seattle at 11:00 am. I hope we get back to port early enough that with self debarkation we can get to the airport in time even if there is confusion at Pier 91.

Billy, I had made reservations on a 10:50 am flight on the day we return to Seattle, but after some serious thoughts, I rebooked for a 2:55 pm flight. It seems that noone really knows what the pier situation will really be like. We fly back on May 16th. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Tony, unfortunately I used my frequent flyer miles to book this flight and when I checked today about changing the flight I was told by the airline I could only change if there were frequent flyer seats available on the later flight. Which of course there was not. So, I am just going to go at this with hope and see what happens. Can't let it ruin my trip.

Billy, good attitude you have there. Keep positive about this, do everything you personally can to reduce your transit time from the pier (self disembark, travel light on luggage, know your transportation options, etc). And the rest of us will cross our fingers that the port will get its act together quickly as I am certain you are not the only one that is in this situation.

Almost everyone in my group of 20 or so have flights before noon. I may look into reserving a charter in advance.

Might not be a bad idea. Are they all physically able to do self disembarkation (must be able to handle and carry all of their own luggage without any assistance of any kind from ship or shoreside personnel.)? If they are able to do this, they will be among the first groups off of the ship, usually around 8 am or so.

Yes Seattlecruiselover everyone in my group is able to carry their luggage. If you are correct that we will be off as early as 8:00 am we have no problem. How long of a trip is it from the pier to the airport (time wise) you guess on a Sunday morning? If we are there between by 9:30-9:45 I would think we would be fine.

Yes Seattlecruiselover everyone in my group is able to carry their luggage. If you are correct that we will be off as early as 8:00 am we have no problem. How long of a trip is it from the pier to the airport (time wise) you guess on a Sunday morning? If we are there between by 9:30-9:45 I would think we would be fine.

They will be doing road construction work all summer on the freeways between downtown and SEA-Tac and beyond. Plan for 60-90 minutes to go the 20 miles, and be happy when it turns out to be only 45.

I think the word is congestion rather than confusion. There just isn't anyplace for the traffic to go, so I fear that the lines of vehicles will be very long. I am just remembering how long it took us to get to the QM2 in Brooklyn and that was just one ship and multiple traffic lanes. I can't imagine how bad it will be with multiple ships and only one lane of traffic in and one lane out.

Having said that, I wouldn't be too worried about catching an 11:00 flight if you can get off the ship around 8:00 a.m. or 8:30. If you catch a taxi, they won't take the freeway (I-5) to the airport but will sneak down the viaduct onto the secret freeway. The trip will take less than 1/2 hour after you get out of the pier mess, but the pier mess is the $64,000 question mark.

Thanks PunkiC, your comments are reassuring. As we have all said, outside of trying to make every arrangement you can in advance to eliminate possible delays (self debarkation, taxi, etc.) all you can then do is hope and enjoy the trip.

I have the dreadful feeling that the first half of the season is not going to be pretty, until they get their routines down. (In fact, I am seriously considering rebooking to leave from Vancouver......:().

Note that I live about 3 miles from Terminal 91 and it was about $10.00 on the taxi meter.

Questions, my friends?????:confused:

You've probably already addressed this, but does this affect everyone? I'm on Norwegian...Pier 66, is it? I'm also staying at the Marriott Waterfront so that we can walk to the pier. Please advise if we should leave for the pier earlier than planned?

Also, can you please tell me which ferry ride YOU PREFER? We will have 2 days in Seattle and I'd love to see Bremerton, San Juan, or Bainbridge. Which is better in your opinion? Thx.

Archived