Sad But True, the Up to the Minute Update on Terminal 91 Seattle

SeattleCruiselover

They will be doing road construction work all summer on the freeways between downtown and SEA-Tac and beyond. Plan for 60-90 minutes to go the 20 miles, and be happy when it turns out to be only 45.

Are you saying I should be prepared to pay double for a cabride from SEA-Tac to downtown? icon9.gif Based on some of your past posts, I believe we will go with the Limo ride or GreyLine.

Billy, I really feel like you will be fine with making the flight time. I was confident that I could make the 10:50 am flight time. The 2:55 pm flight was quite a bit higher in price. But I watched the fare on Southwest and for one day only, I could change to the later flight for only a few dollars more per person. I felt it was worth it for the peace of mind. We will now take the Best of Seattle tour that Princess offers when we get back and leave the driving to them. They drop us at the airport after the tour. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

You've probably already addressed this, but does this affect everyone? I'm on Norwegian...Pier 66, is it? I'm also staying at the Marriott Waterfront so that we can walk to the pier. Please advise if we should leave for the pier earlier than planned?

No this info will NOT affect you. It is solely for those sailing from Pier 91 - Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and Princess.

I have the dreadful feeling that the first half of the season is not going to be pretty, until they get their routines down. (In fact, I am seriously considering rebooking to leave from Vancouver......:().

Note that I live about 3 miles from Terminal 91 and it was about $10.00 on the taxi meter.

Questions, my friends?????:confused:

You've probably already addressed this, but does this affect everyone? I'm on Norwegian...Pier 66, is it? I'm also staying at the Marriott Waterfront so that we can walk to the pier. Please advise if we should leave for the pier earlier than planned?

Also, can you please tell me which ferry ride YOU PREFER? We will have 2 days in Seattle and I'd love to see Bremerton, San Juan, or Bainbridge. Which is better in your opinion? Thx.

No, it only affects us that will be leaving from Terminal 91.

Bremerton is a longer ride than Bainbridge, and the only way you can get to the San Juans from here is the Victoria Clipper and it is pretty pricy.

Bainbridge is more esthetically pleasing and a shorter ferry ride (plus I used to live there).

We are on the May 9 - 16 Golden Princess cruise, Seattle round trip. I have booked Best of Seattle Tour for when we diembark on the 16th. Our plane leaves Sea Tac at 4:00 that afternoon. They will get us to the airport at 1:00. My worry/fear, will they be able to get out of the terminal as scheduled and if not and are late, will they get us to the airport by 1:00. I do know we don't have to be at the airport till 2 hrs. before flight out. Just wonder what others opinion would be. Maybe just better cancel Best of Seattle and get round trip Princess Transfers, then won't have to worry about a thing.

I like to take the ferry to Bremerton because when get off you are right downtown in Bremerton and can walk around. There used to be a nice restaurant right on the water where we would go for lunch.

Any ferry ride will offer great views of Seattle and our beautiful water, islands and mountains, well that is if the weather is cooperative. ;)

Having said that, I wouldn't be too worried about catching an 11:00 flight if you can get off the ship around 8:00 a.m. or 8:30. If you catch a taxi, they won't take the freeway (I-5) to the airport but will sneak down the viaduct onto the secret freeway. The trip will take less than 1/2 hour after you get out of the pier mess, but the pier mess is the $64,000 question mark.

We have never taken the freeway to or from the airport the entire way in Seattle.. like here the cab drivers know the shortcuts! The pier = it is what it is. No amount of stressing over it in February will change that. Hopefully they will be relatively organized and if they aren't, they aren't. Not going to let what "might" happen ruin or change our plans.. Heck, the Vancouver airport on a weekend turnaround day is a bloomin' nightmare! If you can survive that you are set for anything....We wre off the ship by 8:15 in '07 and barely made a 12:30 flight!

We have never taken the freeway to or from the airport the entire way in Seattle.. like here the cab drivers know the shortcuts! The pier = it is what it is. No amount of stressing over it in February will change that. Hopefully they will be relatively organized and if they aren't, they aren't. Not going to let what "might" happen ruin or change our plans.. Heck, the Vancouver airport on a weekend turnaround day is a bloomin' nightmare! If you can survive that you are set for anything....We wre off the ship by 8:15 in '07 and barely made a 12:30 flight!

Vancouver is really a pretty quiet airport.....but the traffic to and from downtown out there is a ratrace, to put it mildly. Since they opened the new terminal and the third runway here, SEA-Tac is no picnic any more either. I think that the TSA decided it was a perfect excuse to make everyone wait an extra hour in line, just so they then had to run a half marathon to make it to the concourses so they would be tired and relaxed for their flights.....NOT.

We have had some horrible experiences doing turns in Vancouver, especially for the first cruises of the year. I think it was in May of 2007 when the lines were over three and even up to four hours long. :eek: They had front page stories in the local newspapers.

On a happy note, it won't be too very long until both Seattle and Vancouver have trains from downtown to their respective airports--getting ready for the Olympic games and all that jazz. Seattle will be a little inconvenient, but in Vancouver, you should be able to catch the train right across the street from the dock. That is a good thing as the traffic from the ship to the airport can be really awful in Vancouver.

We have had some horrible experiences doing turns in Vancouver, especially for the first cruises of the year. I think it was in May of 2007 when the lines were over three and even up to four hours long. :eek: They had front page stories in the local newspapers.

On a happy note, it won't be too very long until both Seattle and Vancouver have trains from downtown to their respective airports--getting ready for the Olympic games and all that jazz. Seattle will be a little inconvenient, but in Vancouver, you should be able to catch the train right across the street from the dock. That is a good thing as the traffic from the ship to the airport can be really awful in Vancouver.

People say our traffic here is awful (and it IS, of course), but I never cease to be amazed by the traffic in YVR. The only good thing about their system is that their rapid transit and Sky Train systems run early and run often and are much more efficient than ours (and they have figured out how to keep them running in the snow (unlike my standing outside for three hours in minimal snow yesterday, waiting for a bus that never claim).

It is a glorious, sunny day in Seattle, which reminded me of two more things that I won't like about the new pier:

1. We won't be able to see the ships at the docks on my way to and from work. I used to be able to see them pull away out into the sound, as I headed up the viaduct.

2. I don't believied that we will able to see Mt. Rainier in all of its splendor from Pier 91. :(

So sad.

It is a glorious, sunny day in Seattle, which reminded me of two more things that I won't like about the new pier:

1. We won't be able to see the ships at the docks on my way to and from work. I used to be able to see them pull away out into the sound, as I headed up the viaduct.

2. I don't believied that we will able to see Mt. Rainier in all of its splendor from Pier 91. :(

So sad.

two more things that I won't like about the new pier:

Wow, are you setting your self up for dissapointment/failure!

Some of these threads surely make for depressing reading, while I am all in favour of reality i do also manage to keep my cup half full even at the worst of times.

Go on, I dare you to try and like it.

I have to tell you, the first time we saw Mt. Rainier, from Pier 66 it blew our minds. We come from a place that it flat and seeing Mt Rainier from the distance is amazing. What is even more amazing is that when we returned to Seattle we drove to Rainier and hiked past the cloud line. Not bad for a NYC girl, huh? But I regress. I am sure everyone is going to have fantastic cruise to Alaska even though checkin might be a little hairy.:)

So sad.

So sad.

I know. It sux. I live at 3rd and Bell, on the east side of the street. All I have to do to see Pier 66 is walk across the street, and I could see 91 if I walked another 2 blocks. Now I'll miss that, but my DD says I will be safer because I will only be 1/3 as tempted to stowaway every weekend.

I actually DID see Rainier quite well from down there, but she was kind of distracted by all the boat masts in between. (I was at the marina).

Sauvignon writes:

Wow, are you setting your self up for dissapointment/failure!

Some of these threads surely make for depressing reading, while I am all in favour of reality i do also manage to keep my cup half full even at the worst of times.

Go on, I dare you to try and like it.

I honestly think Pier #91 will be a mess, not just in the beginning, but forever--there just isn't enough room for all of the traffic that two large ships will generate in a very short period of time. But, if I am wrong and everything goes smoothly, I will be thrilled. We will most certainly have a fabulous time once we are on the ships. We are dancers and that makes it very easy to meet new friends and have a wonderful time dancing with old friends, so we always have just about as much fun as it is possible for two people to have.

If you read my signature, you will note that we have already booked three cruises that either embark and/or disembark at Pier #91 this coming season. One is on the second day of operation of the Pier, brave soul that I am. :D

Honestly, it really doesn't make a great deal of difference to us. We live less than two miles from the Pier and could walk there if we needed to--it's all down hill. Of course, getting back up the hill with luggage would be a whole different story. ;)

For our first cruise, I am thinking now that we will drive to our son's house, have him take us to the airport on Saturday morning, May 9th, keeping our car and then have him pick us up at Pier #91 on Sunday the 10th. Since it is only a one day cruise, requiring very little luggage, we may, depending on the weather, just walk out of the Pier area and have him pick us up out on Elliott Avenue rather than deal with the mess within the pier area.

Sadly, there is nothing we can do about seeing our beautiful Mount Rainier from the ships at Pier 91. Those of you who have never seen it from a ship in the harbor, won't know what you are missing, and will probably be thrilled with your view of the Olympic range--especially if you are from the midwest and don't know from mountains. ;) Those of us, however, who have experienced the majesty of Rainier from the deck of a ship on a clear, sunny day, will longingly remember that amazing experience. Actually most views from the water in Seattle are breathtaking. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

Sauvignon, hubby and I have travelled over 130,000 miles a year, every year for the past nine and have had to learn to deal with, and sometimes even enjoy, the foibles of travel--weather delays, labor strikes, mechanical issues, reroutings, airline/hotel screw ups, etc.--and we firmly believe that forewarned is forearmed. If you know what to expect, you have time to make alternative plans. If you don't know what to expect, it can lead to serious problems.

Be forewarned, the new Seattle Pier #91 will not make a pretty picture.

Sauvignon writes:

I honestly think Pier #91 will be a mess, not just in the beginning, but forever--there just isn't enough room for all of the traffic that two large ships will generate in a very short period of time. But, if I am wrong and everything goes smoothly, I will be thrilled. We will most certainly have a fabulous time once we are on the ships. We are dancers and that makes it very easy to meet new friends and have a wonderful time dancing with old friends, so we always have just about as much fun as it is possible for two people to have.

If you read my signature, you will note that we have already booked three cruises that either embark and/or disembark at Pier #91 this coming season. One is on the second day of operation of the Pier, brave soul that I am. :D

Honestly, it really doesn't make a great deal of difference to us. We live less than two miles from the Pier and could walk there if we needed to--it's all down hill. Of course, getting back up the hill with luggage would be a whole different story. ;)

For our first cruise, I am thinking now that we will drive to our son's house, have him take us to the airport on Saturday morning, May 9th, keeping our car and then have him pick us up at Pier #91 on Sunday the 10th. Since it is only a one day cruise, requiring very little luggage, we may, depending on the weather, just walk out of the Pier area and have him pick us up out on Elliott Avenue rather than deal with the mess within the pier area.

Sadly, there is nothing we can do about seeing our beautiful Mount Rainier from the ships at Pier 91. Those of you who have never seen it from a ship in the harbor, won't know what you are missing, and will probably be thrilled with your view of the Olympic range--especially if you are from the midwest and don't know from mountains. ;) Those of us, however, who have experienced the majesty of Rainier from the deck of a ship on a clear, sunny day, will longingly remember that amazing experience. Actually most views from the water in Seattle are breathtaking. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

Sauvignon, hubby and I have travelled over 130,000 miles a year, every year for the past nine and have had to learn to deal with, and sometimes even enjoy, the foibles of travel--weather delays, labor strikes, mechanical issues, reroutings, airline/hotel screw ups, etc.--and we firmly believe that forewarned is forearmed. If you know what to expect, you have time to make alternative plans. If you don't know what to expect, it can lead to serious problems.

You mean like this:

271717674_pGkXA-M.jpg

It wasn't exactly a ship, it was a boat, but, hey, the concept is the same.

I assume that you are going as entertainers, and/or dance instructors? How I envy you. I would love to work aboard ship, but Princess doesn't hire US nurses, only British nurses. And I don't know that I could get a job as a photographer, though I am semi-pro at that.

I probably could walk to Terminal 91, too, if I wanted to (though Pier 66 is far closer at just three blocks). It's downhill there, but monster uphill back. The idea of getting met on Elliott, though, has some merit. I just might think about that. (Nota bene, though, that you have more intestinal fortitude than I do, going in the first two weeks.....:eek:)

Karen, on my last cruise on HAL, the ship's doctor ate at our dinner table first formal night. He was American. I later ran into him & the nurses in the Lido and the nurses were American. There was also a male nurse who was posting on these boards who was working on a HAL ship and he was American. Is it possible they recently have changed their ploicy? Maybe your wish could be granted!

Diane

Karen, on my last cruise on HAL, the ship's doctor ate at our dinner table first formal night. He was American. I later ran into him & the nurses in the Lido and the nurses were American. There was also a male nurse who was posting on these boards who was working on a HAL ship and he was American. Is it possible they recently have changed their ploicy? Maybe your wish could be granted!

Diane

Holland hires American nurses, but Princess doesn't, and I'm a former Princess employee. Holland just doesn't have any openings right now.

Sauvignon writes:

Sauvignon, hubby and I have travelled over 130,000 miles a year, every year for the past nine and have had to learn to deal with, and sometimes even enjoy, the foibles of travel--weather delays, labor strikes, mechanical issues, reroutings, airline/hotel screw ups, etc.--and we firmly believe that forewarned is forearmed.

I agree absolutely, having a plan B, not relying on others and being prepared to take responsibility for ones own problems is essential in my experience.

If you know what to expect, you have time to make alternative plans. If you don't know what to expect, it can lead to serious problems.

However, the problem I have with this and similar threads is that expectation has become reality before the event. No one, absolutely no one can know what to expect at this point in time and while it is wholly worthwhile highlighting potential issues, portraying them as certainties is wrong.

Thanks, maybe i'll get back to you on this, you may well be right, but whether it is for the right reasons will be another matter.

I believe a sense of perspective is required here, otherwise if the new terminal isn't a failure due to the Port Authority, development or traffic issues, it certainly will be due to the people who are using it.

It won't be a failure, Sauvignon, but it will be a mess, and that is a certainty. The space is just too tight to efficiently handle even one ship, let alone two ships, and all of vehicular traffic connected therewith. That is a simple fact.

I don't think this fact should discourage anyone from sailing the ships that use the new pier, but it should, as the port officials have already advised, encourage passengers to allow extra time for embarkation and disembarkation, and be prepared for delays and inconveniences not normally connected with embarking and disembarking.

What a great shot, SeattleCruiselover. We don't often see whales breaching in the Sound.

No, we are not entertainers, just avid dancers who love to cruise with other friends who are also dance fanatics. It is such amazing exercise and so much fun.

We are actually happy to be sailing one of the first ships to use the pier. That way we will be able to make informed comparisons of our May, June and September cruises to see if the process is actually improving as time goes by. It should be interesting.

It won't be a failure, Sauvignon, but it will be a mess, and that is a certainty. The space is just too tight to efficiently handle even one ship, let alone two ships, and all of vehicular traffic connected therewith. That is a simple fact.

I don't think this fact should discourage anyone from sailing the ships that use the new pier, but it should, as the port officials have already advised, encourage passengers to allow extra time for embarkation and disembarkation, and be prepared for delays and inconveniences not normally connected with embarking and disembarking.

What a great shot, SeattleCruiselover. We don't often see whales breaching in the Sound.

No, we are not entertainers, just avid dancers who love to cruise with other friends who are also dance fanatics. It is such amazing exercise and so much fun.

We are actually happy to be sailing one of the first ships to use the pier. That way we will be able to make informed comparisons of our May, June and September cruises to see if the process is actually improving as time goes by. It should be interesting.

True, that was a lucky shot of both orca and mountain.

I still envy you. I'm lucky to get away for just one week, and they're being nice to me to let me leave before November.

Keep us updated after you get back from the first trip in a few weeks....

Archived