Horseback riding with little ones

CandCMommy

DH and I would really like to go horseback riding in Mazatlan and take my two boys 4 & almost 2. Has anyone done this with little ones? If so did you take a helmet for them or do they provide them for you? I'm an experienced rider but the thought of them up there without a helmet scares me. What are your experiences with the wee ones?

My son has gone horseback riding as young as four in a corral with a helmet and someone walking the horse. He went again in 2005 right before his 5th birthday and this time no helmet but on a trail with a someone leading the horse. He has never "trotted" or ridden without someone holding on to the horse with a lead.

I don't know what your expectations are? Are you thinking about having the children sit on the horse with you?

I would check into where you want to ride and see if there are age restrictions. I was just looking at my RCCL cruise docs and they had a min age of 8 for the riding excursions. Sometimes the age is different if you book direct, but the facilities may still have a minimum age to participate.

After I posted this DH said I was just being overly paranoid. (This from the man that is too scared to take a taxi with our kids not in a car seat.:D) I will check with the tour operator because we will be booking this on our own. The kids would definitely ride with us. As DH said, we don't plan on falling off so I guess we shouldn't worry about them falling or getting bucked off either.

Has anyone else ever taken small ones on a horseback excursion?

I personally would never take a child that young horseback riding. Are you and your husband experienced riders? No one ever plans to fall off and there are many reasons horses can buck or rear. The horses they use are very used to strange riders and are probably very good but they're still animals and can be unpredictable. You also have to consider the type of medical care that would be available if something were to happen.

DH and I would really like to go horseback riding in Mazatlan and take my two boys 4 & almost 2. Has anyone done this with little ones? If so did you take a helmet for them or do they provide them for you? I'm an experienced rider but the thought of them up there without a helmet scares me. What are your experiences with the wee ones?

I think you will need to pass on this. I don't know of any place in Mazatlan that will take children this young. I honestly don't think children of that age would find this particularly fun anyway. I have never seen any helmets, and I can't imagine purchasing them and taking them along on vacation for an hour or so long ride.

We did this in Cozumel in Nov 07. Our son was 6 1/2 at the time. He rode half way with me in the front and then the other half with his mom on the front. He was fine and we had a good time. Your kids' ages may be a little young.

Every place I've been to in that area have a minimum age of 8. Because of liability fears, I don't think you'll find any reputable place that will allow children as young as yours to ride a horse. And remember, I said reputable place as opposed to anything else.

Thanks for all the great input. I think we will pass on horseback riding this time. My father has horses so my boys do have access to riding if they want to, we just thought it might be neat to do by the ocean. I think we'll just stick to hanging out on Stone Island playing in the sand.

Archived