What NOT to pack?

Roadtripster

Seeing there are a ton of threads about what to pack for a cruise, I thought it might be interesting to hear what NOT to pack.

For me, I don't pack:

Beach towels (ship supplies them)

pajamas ( I just wear shorts and tshirt -- just in case)

DVD's (no time to watch)

Books ( you can get them at the library onboard)

These are items that have caused problems in the past so leave them at home:

camouflage - many islands in the Caribbean (and elsewhere) do not allow you to wear camouflage. If you bring it, don't wear it off the ship. Same goes for things like camouflage backpacks, etc

candles

water guns

any toys that look like hand grenades (no joke - someone had a toy hand grenade in their luggage and it forced them to stop debarkation and they had to call in a bomb squad).

I'm amazed and amused at some of the things people say they take with them on a cruise:

1. blow up wading pool

2. bunk bed guard rail

3. rice cooker

4. blender

5. 31 pairs of shoes

6. French press

7. tea kettle

8. case of water

9. case of Diet Dr. Pepper

Well, the list goes on....

Roz

I'm amazed and amused at some of the things people say they take with them on a cruise:

1. blow up wading pool

2. bunk bed guard rail

3. rice cooker

4. blender

5. 31 pairs of shoes

6. French press

7. tea kettle

8. case of water

9. case of Diet Dr. Pepper

Well, the list goes on....

Roz

You forgot these, all of which I have seen mentioned here, and none of which I have ever needed:

extra hangers, over-the-door shoe hanger, alarm clock, five hardback books, corkscrew, swiss army knife, pillows, sheets, crazy glue, rubbing alcohol, bungie cords, clothespins, baby bouncing seat, beach umbrella, Brita water filter, bath robe, gifts from your hometown for the crew, insulated coffee mug, spray bottles, cans of air freshner, coffee maker, potato chip bag clip, and on and on.

Seeing there are a ton of threads about what to pack for a cruise, I thought it might be interesting to hear what NOT to pack.

For me, I don't pack:

Beach towels (ship supplies them)

pajamas ( I just wear shorts and tshirt -- just in case)

DVD's (no time to watch)

Books ( you can get them at the library onboard)

I don't pack anything "just in case". The only things that goes in my 22" roll-on-board are those that I KNOW will be worn. I don't take duct tape, over the door shoe thingies, no more than 3 pair of shoes (one of which I'm wearing at any given time), no full size anything (including shampoos, body washed, lotions, toothpastes, etc). I take only the clothes I'll wear. My suitcase rarely hits 40 pounds.

MY "just in case" means, if something goes wrong with the ship or if I have to run out of my cabin for any reason. I don't wear pajamas at all - even at home. I always wear a tshirt and shorts. I would never pack anything "just in case" I need it. LOL I am definitely a "the less is better" kind of traveler.

Some more not to pack for me:

* Deck of cards. (Too windy to use on deck and we don't want to play cards in the room)

* Stockings/Panty hose ( I figure with sandals/strapy heels I don't need them since I am not all that dressed up)

*Any kind of big file holder (I usually just fold my papers and stick in a ziploc bag. I print alot off. After each day, I throw away my research papers.

* Nightlight (Not a big thing to bring, but we just leave the tv on to the menu screen as it is not very bright at all. Or we leave the bathroom light on or just the light on the power cord is bright enough for us)

*Beach bag ( I use my backpack I bring on the airplane. I like how it zips instead of being open like a beach bag. I don't need a bright tropical print bag. LOL)

I put all the clothes I plan on bringing on the bed, then I take half and put them away. I also figure out what I might need, then put most of that back too.

If I need it bad enough, I can buy or borrow it. Rather not take it with, especially with the airline's weight and price per bag rules now.

Don't bring impatience

Don't bring a judgemental attitude

Don't bring bad manners

Don't bring a complaining spirit

Amen to that!!!!

I would add:

Don't bring drunken loudness/belligerence, and leave the chip on your shoulder at home! :p

I am, however, sorely tempted to get a case of Diet Dr. Pepper before we embark... :D

You forgot these, all of which I have seen mentioned here, and none of which I have ever needed:

extra hangers, over-the-door shoe hanger, alarm clock, five hardback books, corkscrew, swiss army knife, pillows, sheets, crazy glue, rubbing alcohol, bungie cords, clothespins, baby bouncing seat, beach umbrella, Brita water filter, bath robe, gifts from your hometown for the crew, insulated coffee mug, spray bottles, cans of air freshner, coffee maker, potato chip bag clip, and on and on.

I did take my crazy glue last cruise - and I had to use it! I got a blister on the side of my foot. I popped the blister and put a layer of crazy glue on top - worked like a charm!!

It always amazes me the amount of crapola some people want to schlep with them. I have seen folks so weighted down with bags and loose items you'd think they were planning to move onto the ship permanently, and not just for a week. I have seen:

-the aforementioned blow-up pools (what?! the two year old will just die without it?)

-lawn chairs (uuuummmmm, you do know there are chairs on the ship, right?)

-coolers the size of small refrigerators (because I ONLY drink diet coke :rolleyes: )

And the sheer amount of regular luggage! Good grief! Two adults and eight suitcases? Have to wonder how much goes home unworn.

Archived