Where to Cruise Next?

ceilidh1

We are starting to plan our next "big" cruise and fancy something different. We have an almost 2 year old and would like something that would be do-able with her. We are not big beach folks, so not keen on the Caribbean/Bahamas. We would LOVE to do one of the Panama Canal or South America trips, but concerned about the little one/vaccinations/sickness, etc. Has anyone done any of the more exotic itineraries with a toddler and, if so, were there any issues? Did you need a ton of immunisations for any place? Thanks for any suggestions...

Unless your cruise does the Amazon, you shouldn't have to worry about extra innoculations. One negative about a cruise like that is they tend to attract very few children of any age. I've done quite a few cruises to the Panama Canal and to South America and I could count on one hand the number of children on board. The average age tends to be quite high on those cruises unless you cruise during Christmas. But, if you don't have a problem with not having other kids on board, then a more exotic cruise would be just fine. Just choose a line that accepts 2 year olds in their kid's program.

It gets harder to travel with kids once they reach school age because of time constraints. So the world is your oyster.

I think going thru the Panama Canal would be very interesting. Depending on the amount of time available to you there are cruises that go out of Vancouver and Seattle all the way down the Pacific coast and thru the Canal. There are also repositioning cruises that go to South America from Seattle and you can often get really good deals on these.

I did the 14 day Transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Millenium in 2005 with stops in Lisbon, Gibraltar, Malaga and Barcelona, which was wonderful but I live on the East Coast and it was easy for me.

So don't be limited by destination because there are always really good deals out there- especially now.

You should ask you pediatrician about vacinnations prior to going outside of the United States. And I would always eat onboard ship with a child. It is makes economic and common sense.

If your child is nearly 2 now- then are you thinking of doing this when she turns 3? I think this might open up another world to you because she will be out of diapers and will be able to go to the youth programs on all the major cruise lines. If your child likes to swim you can't beat Princess or Holland America because of the freshwater pools. I also love Celebrity and they have the best youth program afloat bar none. In fact, on Celebrity whether there is one child or 100 children they still operate the Fun Factory.

So from what you have told me- I'd strongly recommend the Celebrity Infinity because of the youth program, the ambiance, the itinerary and the fact that they do offer incabin babysitting.

Fri, Sep 25 Seattle 5:00 P

2 Sat, Sep 26 At Sea

3 Sun, Sep 27 At Sea

4 Mon, Sep 28 San Diego 9:00 A 5:00 P

5 Tue, Sep 29 At Sea

6 Wed, Sep 30 Cabo San Lucas 9:00 A 6:00 P

7 Thu, Oct 1 At Sea

8 Fri, Oct 2 Acapulco 8:00 A 5:00 P

9 Sat, Oct 3 Huatulco 8:00 A 3:00 P

10 Sun, Oct 4 At Sea

11 Mon, Oct 5 Puntarenas 7:00 A 7:00 P

12 Tue, Oct 6 At Sea

13 Wed, Oct 7 Panama Canal 6:00 A 4:00 P

13 Wed, Oct 7 Cristobal 6:00 P 8:00 P

14 Thu, Oct 8 Cartagena 12:00 P 8:00 P

15 Fri, Oct 9 At Sea

16 Sat, Oct 10 At Sea

17 Sun, Oct 11 Fort Lauderdale 7:00 A

We are starting to plan our next "big" cruise and fancy something different ... We would LOVE to do one of the Panama Canal or South America trips, but concerned about the little one/vaccinations/sickness, etc. Has anyone done any of the more exotic itineraries with a toddler and, if so, were there any issues? Did you need a ton of immunisations for any place? Thanks for any suggestions...

Other than the transit of the Canal itself, a Panama Canal trip will largely be beach/sun oriented. While I have not done the classic South American trip - Santiago to/from Buenos Aires - I would expect that some aspects are similar to the Alaska trips that you have been on to date. My neighbors have been on this cruise and they indicated that the weather can be quite cool - even more so than the standard Alaska cruise.

Another alternative is to consider the Baltic. These cities largely are quite approachable with small kids and these cruises would definitely be considerably different than Alaska.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - good to hear that what we are thinking of is do-able with a young one! We would probably be looking at going this Sept. so ym toddler would only be 2 and a half. I don't have a problem with her not going to kids clubs or swimming (though my mission is to have her out of diapers asap and am starting now...). I do want a line/ship that has child activities, though - even if I have to stay with her. Babysitting is also not a big factor, as I am one of those parents that NEVER leaves her child (much to hubby's dismay) with anyone - not even family...We are thinking of trying the coastals first (just a few nights) on NCL and maybe Celebrity to see how the lines compare with Princess and RCCL. I like the look of the Celebrity itinerary that was posted here - never really considered this line yet so thanks! I will also check out the other links posted...

Good luck in your search. I have been very pleased with Celebrity (cruised them 6 times) and I try all the different lines out there. I believe there is a mommy and me program on Celebrity- where you are allowed to use the play area. There is also a children's pool and play yard there.

Archived