Start Petition: Should still be able to purchase liquor and bring up to stateroom

Dardreamer

This topic gets debated over and over. We just got off explorer yesterday and we took 6 bottles of champagne in our checked bags. Then when in st Thomas we took one bottle of wine on with us and checked the other 6 bottles of patron. The rest of our group took on vodka and rum. Don’t sweet it just pack it away

[quote name='Cruise Junky']How sad that you find that statement funny. Of course there had to be someone on the RCI board that couldn't let a civilized conversation take place about alcohol.[/quote]

Nah, it's civilized to follow the rules. Anyone who would jeopardize their cruise and also those cruising with for an alcohol fix may have serious problems. If I was denied boarding because my friends tried to smuggle alcohol I'd be more then mad.

Onboard Policies
[IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000VTc1bZ2iux0ZUk_CcL7s5EF:13hldil87?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq#top"] [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif[/IMG]Print This Page[/URL] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard Policies&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqType=faq&javascriptDisabled=true"] [IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif[/IMG]Print This Page[/URL] [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG]

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard? [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG] A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), [B]may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense,[/B] in accordance with our [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf"]Guest Conduct Policy[/URL]. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

I usually travel with my best friend of 30 years. He has a drinking problem, especially when on vacation. He normally goes through about 20-25 bottles of wine on a 7 day cruise. He orders every one of them through room service and consumes them in the room.
My point? If RCCL were concerned about folks falling off of the balcony, they wouldnt bring 3-4 bottles of a wine a day charged to the same person on the same seapass card.
He stays in the cabin most of the time and minds his own business. He just happens to like to consume a LOT of alcohol.
He has no problem with buying the wine from RCCL and probably wouldnt go to the trouble of bringing it on if he could.
So I believe the policy is strictly an economic one. But I dont have any problem with that since I drink very little.
I dont see a lot of difference in letting someone buy their alcohol onboard in the liquor shop and consume it in the cabin since you can basically do it through room service anyway.
But I really dont blame them for not allowing you to bring it with you when you board. That would definitely cut into the bottom line profit. Maybe if you need some fancy bottle of wine, then a corkage fee of 25 bucks would be okay.

[quote name='lmurf']On my recent weekend cruise, I bought two bottles of coconut rum in the ship's liquor store and brought them both back to my room. We didn't open them and consume them on the premises, but actually packed them in our luggage (flying home) to take back. But....we could've opened them. So...what's the deal?[/QUOTE]

I am sure it was the last night of your cruise which is when they let you take it back to your room. And yes you can consume it then.

[quote name='cruisePRN']Nah, it's civilized to follow the rules. Anyone who would jeopardize their cruise and also those cruising with for an alcohol fix may have serious problems. If I was denied boarding because my friends tried to smuggle alcohol I'd be more then mad.

Onboard Policies
[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000VTc1bZ2iux0ZUk_CcL7s5EF:13hldil87?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq#top"] [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif[/IMG]Print This Page[/URL] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard Policies&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqType=faq&javascriptDisabled=true"][IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif[/IMG]Print This Page[/URL] [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG]

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard? [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG] A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), [B]may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense,[/B] in accordance with our [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf"]Guest Conduct Policy[/URL]. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.[/quote]

Who is talking about smuggling? no one wanted to break the rules, they wanted a voice to say they disagreed with them, not openly break them.

[quote name='vmacchirol']This topic gets debated over and over. We just got off explorer yesterday and we took 6 bottles of champagne in our checked bags. Then when in st Thomas we took one bottle of wine on with us and checked the other 6 bottles of patron. The rest of our group took on vodka and rum. Don’t sweet it just pack it away[/quote]

[quote name='Cruise Junky']Who is talking about smuggling? no one wanted to break the rules, they wanted a voice to say they disagreed with them, not openly break them.[/quote]

If you read all the posts in the tread and quit worring about simply responding to individuals you would understand.

[quote name='fredmdcruisers']If you read all the posts in the tread and quit worring about simply responding to individuals you would understand.[/quote]

Then why is he talking to me? Talk to the person that boasted about 6 bottles of champagne in their suitcase? Jeeze :rolleyes: Most of the conversation on the board is about people that don't want to smuggle, they want RCI to change the rules. It's probably not going to happen but RCI cheerleaders don't have to be so condescending to others that feel strongly about this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Cruise
Which cruiselines allow you to bring wine? I know NCL is very strict about it.

HAL, Princess, Oceania, Azamara, all the grown up lines Even NCL you can buy a bottle of booze for your room.

Celebrity also allows you to bring on board 2 bottles of Wine per Stateroom

Regarding purchased liquor from the ship's stores, – generally on the last afternoon/evening they do let you take any purchased liquor back to the cabin for packing. We have found that this changes a bit during spring break ( at least it did when we sailed last March) when you must pick it up the morning right before you leave the ship.

M

Well... I certainly will vote for that. But I'm still a bit puzzled over some of the comments about wine. My understanding is that I can order a 5-10 bottle wine package and have it delivered to EITHER my table or my room - right from the web site. So why not liquor is my question. I am totally surprised by this policy as it just really doesn't make any sense as 10 bottles of wine can do the same thing if over-indulged...

This has not been a problem on any other cruise line and sadly will factor into future cruise purchases as it forces us to pack at least one bottle in our luggage which I personally do not enjoy doing (policy aside, it takes up space for more shoes :rolleyes:(tic)). It would be fine if DH enjoyed wine but he doesn't.

I had a very nice conversation with the bar manager on the Royal Princess on this same topic when we discuss why we couldn't purchase a bottle of DH's brand of scotch which was served in the bars. We could purchase as much of a different brand albeit the small bottles (didn't know how good we had it!). Reason given was the liability of sending full bottles to the room and the danger of passengers getting hurt or falling overboard. After listening very politely, I pointed out that we are in our 50's, not prone to wild binges, we obviously were spending plenty of time/money in the bars (which was why we were introduced in the 1st place), but was disappointed that DH could only get his favorite brand in the bar and not in the room, however we completely understood. I did asked him out of curiosity how many older and/or suite passengers have fallen off or gotten hurt due to alcohol for Princess.... He laughed and said he would get back with us. Two days later a big bottle of scotch with a nice note was delivered to the room. It made an impression (a good one). This last cruise on Princess, DH 'managed' with the other brand :p without complaint.

Maybe it is just me, but while it would be nice to once again be able to enjoy sipping spirits purchased onboard in my cabin, I am puzzled by those who refuse to cruise on RCI for that reason alone. In my experience, cocktails onboard are comparably priced to those in most restaurants in my area. What is the big deal about having to have a bottle in your cabin in order to cruise on a particular line? My priority is an enjoyable cruise experience with great service. Heck, I've brought cocktails back to my cabin from the bar when I wanted to sit on the balcony and enjoy a sunset, or the moonlight on the water. I am not judging those who smuggle it on board or that want to petition the return of onboard bottle sales for consumption. Go for it. I would buy a bottle onboard again for responsible consumption, like the old days. I firmly believe the vast majority of cruisers would be responsible in this manner as well.

I think the potential liability cost for the company outweighs any loss of revenue from the few that will boycott the line due to the limited availability of alcohol. Sure the lines make more money selling it per drink, but the cost savings in not having a family sue the line due to the "bad ol' cruise line" selling a bottle to someone that abused it and fell off or was injured is also huge. Face it. People are litigious and seldom take responsibility for their own actions, but are quick to sue the deep pockets out there.

In the mean time, I'll buy my drink of the day and a couple of martinis each day and thoroughly enjoy myself. That's just me and my opinion.

Eric

[quote name='Pomperaugrr']Maybe it is just me, but while it would be nice to once again be able to enjoy sipping spirits purchased onboard in my cabin, I am puzzled by those who refuse to cruise on RCI for that reason alone. In my experience, cocktails onboard are comparably priced to those in most restaurants in my area. What is the big deal about having to have a bottle in your cabin in order to cruise on a particular line? My priority is an enjoyable cruise experience with great service

In the mean time, I'll buy my drink of the day and a couple of martinis each day and thoroughly enjoy myself. That's just me and my opinion.

Eric[/quote]
Eric, I'll toast you logic any day!!! Cheers!!!!!:D

[quote name='Pomperaugrr']I am puzzled by those who refuse to cruise on RCI for that reason alone. In my experience, cocktails onboard are comparably priced to those in most restaurants in my area. What is the big deal about having to have a bottle in your cabin in order to cruise on a particular line? My priority is an enjoyable cruise experience with great service. Heck, I've brought cocktails back to my cabin from the bar when I wanted to sit on the balcony and enjoy a sunset, or the moonlight on the water. I am not judging those who smuggle it on board or that want to petition the return of onboard bottle sales for consumption. Go for it.

I think the potential liability cost for the company outweighs any loss of revenue from the few that will boycott the line due to the limited availability of alcohol. Sure the lines make more money selling it per drink, but the cost savings in not having a family sue the line due to the "bad ol' cruise line" selling a bottle to someone that abused it and fell off or was injured is also huge. Face it. People are litigious and seldom take responsibility for their own actions, but are quick to sue the deep pockets out there.

Eric[/quote]

That's right, actually the drinks are cheaper on the ship than here in South Florida and if I want a drink on my balcony, then I'll buy one and bring it back. A cruise is supposed to be about enjoyment without any worries and lately there seems to be a lot of people worrying about petty things such as liquor.

If people stop cruising on Royal Caribbean because they can't bring a bottle back to their room, that's fine with me as it's their choice.

I remember sailing on the Serenade through Alaska and we were allowed to bring a bottle back to the room, most of the time it just sat there ,because when I was out and about and felt like having a drink I sure as hell wasnt going to hike back to the room with a cup of oj or something to make it, I was on vacation :rolleyes:

Whatever!!!!!!!!

My only complaint is with the lack of decent liquor in the ships bars, most of it's bottom shelf, and they use lots of it, just part of the deal i guess :cool:

[quote name='Pomperaugrr']Maybe it is just me, but while it would be nice to once again be able to enjoy sipping spirits purchased onboard in my cabin, I am puzzled by those who refuse to cruise on RCI for that reason alone. In my experience, cocktails onboard are comparably priced to those in most restaurants in my area. What is the big deal about having to have a bottle in your cabin in order to cruise on a particular line? My priority is an enjoyable cruise experience with great service. Heck, I've brought cocktails back to my cabin from the bar when I wanted to sit on the balcony and enjoy a sunset, or the moonlight on the water. I am not judging those who smuggle it on board or that want to petition the return of onboard bottle sales for consumption. Go for it. I would buy a bottle onboard again for responsible consumption, like the old days. I firmly believe the vast majority of cruisers would be responsible in this manner as well.

Eric[/QUOTE]

... who choose other lines for lots of reasons, and who avoid lines with areas where they fail to provide what is important to us.

I cruise for itinerary. I cruise to exotic locales. I greatly enjoy sampling the local foods, wines, spirits, and activities.

If I want to buy a few small bottles of Pastis in Provence to bring home, I don't feel like being treated as if I'm a potential drunk who might fall overboard. I don't feel like giving up my possessions and hoping they get back to me on the last night.

If I want to buy a Santorini Vin Santo to share with friends on my balcony in the evening, I don't want to be denied that pleasure.

If I want to sail from my local port (Baltimore) to celebrate my retirement next year, and bring a special 1980 Taylor Fladgate and a few special cellar bottles of boutique wines to share with my friends, I can't do that with RCCL.

So, for my retirement, we will drive to NJ, park at a friend's place, and have them transport us, our luggage and our special bottles to the Veendam to go to Bermuda.

RCCL or Celebrity could have my business if they treated me like an adult, but it is their loss, since once I retire, there will be many more spur of the moment cruises.

Punishment of the innocent due to stupidity of the guilty -- the liability argument -- costs them potential customers.

LOL... I hope my post isn't being misunderstood - itinerary drives everything, next comes cabin space/cruise experience, last would be food. Foodies would have a totally different order. But yes I will cruise more on the other lines because of how we like to enjoy our vacations. We purchase suites because we like to spend time alone relaxing on the balcony watching the world go by instead of going to the evening shows. We also like picking a favorite bar based on the bartenders and relaxing there as well. I can honestly say neither DH or I have even been in the pools on any cruise... that is just us and our way of cruising... Other folks purchase small rooms and spend all their time out in the ship... there is no magic formula or one way to enjoy a cruise.

The cheapest cabin on our cruise is $699 I believe. We are paying 15k... for the same cruise, same food, same everything except that we have a beautiful suite that we plan to spend a good deal of time in when not at port. It's a matter of how one wants to spend their time on vacation. Our choice as it's our anniversary celebration and one that we hoped included at least what we get on all the other cruise lines regardless of cabin.

It simply makes no sense that because I like wine, I can enjoy a glass of wine at my convenience but DH cannot pour a simple cocktail for himself in the room. In 2003, RCCL provided us 4 bottles gratis for our bar... Sad that times have changed so much for RCCL. Added is we can go down the hall and stand in the CL and be served free drinks but that's not a huge perk to us. (It's nice but not something I'd seek out particularily).
oh well.. we'll enjoy

Cheers to everyone...

[quote name='cruisePRN']Nah, it's civilized to follow the rules. Anyone who would jeopardize their cruise and also those cruising with for an alcohol fix may have serious problems. If I was denied boarding because my friends tried to smuggle alcohol I'd be more then mad.

Onboard Policies
[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000VTc1bZ2iux0ZUk_CcL7s5EF:13hldil87?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq#top"] [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif[/IMG]Print This Page[/URL] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard%20Policies&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqType=faq&javascriptDisabled=true"] [IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif[/IMG]Print This Page[/URL] [IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/IMG]

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), [B]may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense,[/B] in accordance with our [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf"]Guest Conduct Policy[/URL]. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.[/quote]

Please re-read the original post and tell me where it says anything about bringing liquor or wine onto the ship.:confused: The original post deals with being able to buy wine from RCI in their shipboard liquor shop and consume it in their room! I for one have never smuggled booze onboard but would be in favor of being able to buy a bottle and bring it to my room so as to enjoy a glass with my husband on our balcony before dinner, or whenever it suited us.

Come on - let's be nice. That comment about Bill W was uncalled for. Just because some of us like to have a drink or a glass of wine doesn't mean we need Bill W. I really would like them to allow you to at least bring a couple of bottles of wine for your cabin. NCL and Princess has never stopped us from that. This will be my first time on RCCL so I did order the "Wine and Dine" thing. But I would prefer my own wine as they don't have the ones I like the most.

Archived