Shopping for Wine - Montreal

sail7seas

It occured to me that all the times we have been in Montreal on turn-around day of our b-to-bs's, we have never seen a place to buy wine. I'd like to bring a few bottles home seeing as we won't be flying.

Where, in Montreal, does one purchase wine?

Actually, now that I think about it, we have never seen a liquor store in Halifax, PEI or Quebec either.

Where do you Canadians buy wine/liquor?

Thanks.

There are Government liquor stores, usually only open Monday through Saturday, and there are usually pubs with lttle wine/beer stores attached. I think they are open 7 days a week and later than the Government liquor stores. Here in Victoria we have a few private liquor stores as well. Not being a drinker, I am not 100% on days/times. I also believe that you can buy some alcohol in the corner stores and some grocery stores in Quebec. My husband remembers doing beer runs to the local depanneur when he was a young man.

I would think that if you googled liquor stores for your destination, you would definitely get some places to go.

Good luck with your wine hunting!!

Connie

S7S, post this question on the Canada board -- there are a couple of Montreal residents who are on that board regularly and can probably give you directions to the nearest.

Be aware, all Canadian "sins" are heavily taxed -- you'll likely pay twice as much in Canada for the same bottle of wine compared to the US.

We have always been so surprised to see wine in grocery and many corner stores in Montreal and the rest of Quebec. But, then, we live in Ontario where wine is only available at the Liquor Control Board stores, and also a very few wine shops in the larger cities.

We don't drink liquor, but make our own wine, 'Piesporter', which we prefer!

The wine in the supermakets isnt very good. just regular table wine.

its handy when you need a quick btl,

All wine in Quebec is found in SAQ stores (Societe des alcohols)

They are usually opened monday to friday however there are some opened also on weekends. Now the sad part of the equation is the prices are extreeeeemly high compared to any where else on this continent,

and if you are looking for duty free you will only find it at the Airports.

A bottle of wine thats ten bucks in the states is at least double that here.

But if you are maybe looking for some good Okanogan or Niagra Canadian wines thay are available if you dont have them in the States.

I'll be at Total wines in FLL, on wednesday picking me up some Magnificat

Cant get that up here. yummy yummmy yummy

Hi Sail,

There is a lovely wine shop called Bishops Cellar (walking distance from ship) Bishops Landing on the waterfront Halifax. We purchased wine to take to our friends in Sydney and were well pleased.I believe they carry specialty beers and spirits as well. Fun to browse.:)

Indeed alchol can be purchased in groceries stores in Quebec,novel concept for residents of Ontario:D

Sorry for Posting so often, but that one doesnt show up anymore

might be closed or only opened in the summer,

the next closest is 400 boul Jean Lesage about 3/4 mile from the vessel

if you google SAQ, in Quebec city you'll see about where it is its the one marked C

Thanks so much, everyone. Appreciate your help.

Funny how it just occured to me, after so many times on thatitinerary, that we'd never noticed any liquor for sale.......but, then again, we really weren't looking.

Be aware, all Canadian "sins" are heavily taxed -- you'll likely pay twice as much in Canada for the same bottle of wine compared to the US.

That is the truth! Sail, you might be horrified at the prices in Canada. It never ceases to amaze me that my American friends call a $20.00 of wine expensive. Here, that's what Baby Duck costs.:D

That is the truth! Sail, you might be horrified at the prices in Canada. It never ceases to amaze me that my American friends call a $20.00 of wine expensive. Here, that's what Baby Duck costs.:D

FYI, Baby Duck is $6.95. It was and always will be inexpensive.

FYI, there are 667 different wines available under $10 a bottle at the SAQ which is the Quebec government's wine stores.

The best wine store in Montreal is on St-Catherine street in the SAQ Signature store. The best wines are available there. There is also a SAQ Classique in Quebec City at the Chateau Frontenac that carries excellent wines.

Wines in Quebec under the $25 a bottle range are cheaper that any other province in Canada while those above $25 seem to be cheaper in other provinces.

FYI, there are 667 different wines available under $10 a bottle at the SAQ which is the Quebec government's wine stores.

The best wine store in Montreal is on St-Catherine street in the SAQ Signature store. The best wines are available there. There is also a SAQ Classique in Quebec City at the Chateau Frontenac that carries excellent wines.

Wines in Quebec under the $25 a bottle range are cheaper that any other province in Canada while those above $25 seem to be cheaper in other provinces.

It was humour. :rolleyes:

Appreciate the information.

Thank you.

It's funny how it struck me in all our trips to so many spots in Canda, we had never seen a liquor store the way we see them in (most) states.

You should also be aware that in Montreal, in one of the restaurant districts, is is quite acceptable buy a bottle of wine at the depaneaur next door and then take it into the restaurant. They will charge you a corkage, but llast time I checked it was much less that what the cruise line charges! And if you run out, pop back next door for another bottle.

Although Ontario does not sell wine/beer in the grocery stores as in the US or Quebec. The majority of large grocery centers in Central Ontario all have wine stores within the grocery store, as well as banks, photo shops, drycleaning, tobacconists, etc etc. Not fine wines but ok in a pinch etc.

Archived