Fun & Witty small talk??

Bibi

Besides introducing yourself , what are the best things to talk about with your tablemates? I really hate small talk (isn't the weather nice?...ick) but have no problem with public speaking. What are some witty opening lines or good discussions that you have had on a cruise with a group of strangers? :confused:

Besides introducing yourself , what are the best things to talk about with your tablemates? I really hate small talk (isn't the weather nice?...ick) but have no problem with public speaking. What are some witty opening lines or good discussions that you have had on a cruise with a group of strangers? :confused:

I prefer a flexible dining alternative for that very reason. After a few nights with the same people you really start to run out of things to talk about other than, "So what did YOU do today.....?"

Keeping good/interesting conversation going is a practiced art. The secret is to ask follow up questions to their responses, to genuinely take interest in THEM rather than talking about yourself. With experience it becomes effortless and their opinion of you (though THEY are doing most of the talking) is that you are one of the most interesting persons they've ever met.

Good question. Besides the usual, where ya from? Have you cruised before. Yadda yadda. One time we were at a table for 4 and after the first day, the other couple and Bob and I decided NOT to tell each other what we did for a living. And we didn't ask any questions about it. The final day we told each other what we THOUGHT they did for a living. I guessed the woman was a medical office manager (She was a doctor) and the man was a college professor (he was a doctor but no longer practicing... he was a medical school professor). You can do that with where ppl are from too.

Good question. Besides the usual, where ya from? Have you cruised before. Yadda yadda. One time we were at a table for 4 and after the first day, the other couple and Bob and I decided NOT to tell each other what we did for a living. And we didn't ask any questions about it. The final day we told each other what we THOUGHT they did for a living. I guessed the woman was a medical office manager (She was a doctor) and the man was a college professor (he was a doctor but no longer practicing... he was a medical school professor). You can do that with where ppl are from too.

Depending on how perceptive a person is, I can see where that might backfire. For instance, if an introverted doctor is guessed to be a Wal-mart department manager (which is a very difficult job I am told by the way), he might just take it the wrong way and your week-long relationship goes up in smoke.

I prefer a flexible dining alternative for that very reason. After a few nights with the same people you really start to run out of things to talk about other than, "So what did YOU do today.....?"

Keeping good/interesting conversation going is a practiced art. The secret is to ask follow up questions to their responses, to genuinely take interest in THEM rather than talking about yourself. With experience it becomes effortless and their opinion of you (though THEY are doing most of the talking) is that you are one of the most interesting persons they've ever met.

Very good advice...thanks!

I always try to ask more unexpected questions... What was the funniest thing that you saw today? I've gotten some very good stories from that one.:D

I always try to ask more unexpected questions... What was the funniest thing that you saw today? I've gotten some very good stories from that one.:D

That's a good one. I like to ask "What was the highlight of your day?"

Anybody else have any good conversation starters??

We usually start with where everyone comes from, followed by whether this is a 1st cruise or one of many. "Are you going to the show tonight?" "What are you doing tomorrow?" Blah, blah, blah. Each question should lead to at least several minutes of conversation....I mean, you don't just ask one question, and go to the next.

I find, if you listen, most folks will do all the work by talking! We have some spirited conversations with our tablemates! Love it!

OMG I LOVE talking, and typically it starts as small talk until something better to ask or say pops into my head (which doesn't take long). I like figuring out what people do for a living, what their kids do, whether they be young or older, etc.

I like talking about the excursions if we or they did any. I like to hear other people's take on things to help decide for next time. I like doing some of the less popular excursions so there's usually some interest in it by others. We've done helicopter tours over St Thomas, off road adventures in Antigua, air boat rides in Belize, etc. Some of the more popular things sound OK, but I like trying things totally different too.

That's a good one. I like to ask "What was the highlight of your day?"

Anybody else have any good conversation starters??

I see that you have a 50th birthday cruise coming up - me too, but I'm obviously older ;) since mine is under 10 days away.

Unfortunately I am a really good listener - which is ok if someone else takes the lead in conversing. Thankfully DW can talk to anyone about anything and all I have to do is breathe for her occasionally :p

Seriously though, comments and advice here are greatly appreciated and I look forward to our next cruise with renewed confidence.

One day in the hot tub, we started talking to some new friends (ie strangers) and a new couple began to enter. Someone said "before you get in, you have to tell us all 'your story.'" Well, they told us how they met and were promptly invited in. So, a few minutes later another couple arrived and they heard six voices saying they have to tell their story. And on and on it went.

Before long we had a full hot tub and it was amazing how many interesting things you hear when people tell their stories. The backup question, for those who wouldn't tell a story, was 'tell us how you met.' The best answer was the touchy-feely couple who said that they had just met the day before.

After all the 'hi, my name is ....' I like to ask two questions. One is do you have any pets and what kind. Animal lovers will always talk about their pets. And, the second question is 'tell me something you are passionate about' I find it fascinating to hear what others will say. Me - I'm passionate about football and greyhounds. DH finds it really funny to hear me (the grandma) spouting off about sports.

My DH likes to play the 'tell two truths and one lie' game. Everyone tells two true things and one lie about themselves. The rest of the table has to guess which one is lie. It's a fun way to find out about others.

Have a great week!

• 4 months later...

This might sound stupid but it is actually really fun. It is a game, kinda, called two truths and a lie. You start with 1 person and they say two things true about themselves and 1 thing that they make up. Everyone guesses which they think is the lie, and then you move on to the next person. It sounds boring, but it is really fun. The more creative the better. Also the facts you learn about people you can create more conversation out of it. The best thing it works for all ages.

Example: 1. I played soccer in college on a scholarship

2. I was born in Kentucky, but only lived their a week

3. I have 3 brothers, and 1 sister

Number 1 is the lie. There is plenty of conversation that can come out of those facts!

This might sound stupid but it is actually really fun. It is a game, kinda, called two truths and a lie. You start with 1 person and they say two things true about themselves and 1 thing that they make up. Everyone guesses which they think is the lie, and then you move on to the next person. It sounds boring, but it is really fun. The more creative the better. Also the facts you learn about people you can create more conversation out of it. The best thing it works for all ages.

Example: 1. I played soccer in college on a scholarship

2. I was born in Kentucky, but only lived their a week

3. I have 3 brothers, and 1 sister

Number 1 is the lie. There is plenty of conversation that can come out of those facts!

I love this one. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I usually ask my table mates if they have cruised before, if yes, how many times-what was their favorite cruise-etc.

Then after the first day I ask what excursions they took or if a sea day-did they do anything fun-etc.

If you keep the conversation cruise related-nobody gets offended.

I have also learned not to assume people are married. One cruise we were celebrating our 25th, and other table mates were celebrating their 30th. I foolishly asked the other couple how long they had been married. (our table seated 6) They weren't married. That was embarrassing. I felt it appeared as thoguh I was getting into their business. I really wasn't. I had simply wrongly assumed that they were married.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I always find it interesting to see how people react to me. As a psychologist, I am trained in getting people to talk and open up... sometimes it is difficult to turn that off. Usually, once people find out what I do, they have one of two reactions. They either spill their guts and tell me their life story, all their problems, and much much more, or else they completely clam up!

Having never had table mates on previous cruises other than my family and my husband, I am not sure what would happen on a cruise where I was around other people for an entire week or more. I might hold off on telling people what I do for a few nights!

We request a table for two, and have been blessed to have our request granted on previous cruises.

• 1 month later...

I hope we don't end up sitting with people who like to talk about work, compare jobs etc. etc. etc. I have a good enough career but I don't like talking about it.. especially while on vacation.

No, I'm not a hitman but I do work in health insurance... but most people don't let me explain what I do in the field before they automatically assume that I either sell or deny claims... I don't do either. I DO work on a program with a group of nurses and social workers providing care and resources to elderly and needy people.

I could not sell iced water in he_ _ and if claims were not automated these days I would probably approve them all!

After owning a B&B, DH & I have become fairly proficient in chatting with strangers and keeping the conversation moving. We always enjoy meeting new people and find ourselves striking up conversations with strangers most everywhere we go. Travel is a favorite subject - as are kids - most folks love to talk about their kids.

DH and I have been on two cruises so far, and while we had a dining table to ourselves, generally, we did have our breakfast and lunch in the dining room, at a large table - usually 8 people.

Most days, we really enjoyed meeting new people. It was a different group each time! However, there was ONE lunch, were I really, truly hoped that I would NEVER run into these people again!

They wore their politics pretty openly, and voiced their disdain for certain lifestyles and social groups.

Moral of that story: on a cruise, we're all on vacation, folks. Leave the serious discussions at home! Also, you really don't know who you are cruising with - why take a chance on offending? Thank you :)

My DW and I learned from a previous cruise to make sure we get placed at a table for at least 6! On one of our Monarch Cruises we were at a table for 4. The two of us and one other couple. Trying to get them to talk was like pulling teeth! I finally just gave up halfway through the second night.

Now I know that if someone doesnt want to visit, thats ok, But it was very uncomfortable sitting at a small table with two people who sat in silence the whole time.

Archived