New Solstice Corner Aft Sky Suite Photos

cruisewmn

Thanks cruisewmn. Very interesting. As of last night we had decided not to cancel our our Med sailing in those same cabins (but on 6 not 9), and to try to remedy the light and music issue on our own. I will say that the Sky Suite certainly appears to have an odd layout. And compared to the connecting CC, the sliding doors to the balcony seem smaller. Instead of a wall of glass, it's just a door. Is that right? For as well designed the CC and SV rooms are, I'd say the SS drops the ball a bit. (The shower door in the CC/SV was so cool, yet in the SS it's back to the curtain. Seems lilke they could have come up with a better answer with a little more ingenuity.)

In any case, thanks again. This is very helpful. (BTW, I've email X to see if they will turn off the music and lights in the hallway. No reply as of yet, but I don't have high hopes for a resolution).

Thanks cruisewmn. Very interesting. As of last night we had decided not to cancel our our Med sailing in those same cabins (but on 6 not 9), and to try to remedy the light and music issue on our own. I will say that the Sky Suite certainly appears to have an odd layout. And compared to the connecting CC, the sliding doors to the balcony seem smaller. Instead of a wall of glass, it's just a door. Is that right? For as well designed the CC and SV rooms are, I'd say the SS drops the ball a bit. (The shower door in the CC/SV was so cool, yet in the SS it's back to the curtain. Seems lilke they could have come up with a better answer with a little more ingenuity.)

In any case, thanks again. This is very helpful. (BTW, I've email X to see if they will turn off the music and lights in the hallway. No reply as of yet, but I don't have high hopes for a resolution).

Glad you're sticking with your trip. It looks like a great itinerary. Hopefully X will come through and fix the light/music issue.

In regards to some of your observations about the SS:

• The door to the balcony is a sliding glass door, but you're right, no wall of windows. It helps that there is the big round window to the side of the room. There is plenty of light, just not huge panoramic views.
  • The shower in the SS isn't bad. There's a 1.5 foot glass wall right by the shower head area. The curtain covers the remainder of the opening. It doesn't cling to you at all. The three knobs on the wall adjust water flow to the normal tub faucet, the hand held spray, and the rain showerhead. As a result, you can turn on the sprayer and the showerhead at the same time. If you point the sprayer at you in its holder, it acts like a body jet. That was a nice touch.

Thanks for posting the pictures. We are on the Solstice in April and have a sky suite on deck 10 (I think). We have a corner aft. I wonder if they are the same. Seems odd to have the pole in the cabin -- did that interfere with anything (I can see me running into it in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom!!). Also odd about the shower curtain when the cabins that are priced less don't have them.

So, there is a window and the sliding glass door in each SS cabin?

Thanks again for your help.

cruisewmn:

Regarding Picture #12: Is that as far as the Balcony Divider opens???

Yes, that was wide open.

Actually, our Butler initially refused to open the divider stating that it could only be opened on port days (he said the glass would break otherwise). Our stateroom attendant had no problem opening it immediately and it stayed open the entire cruise. I placed one of the deck chairs next to it to keep it in place and prevented it from swinging, even in rougher seas.

We are on the Solstice in April and have a sky suite on deck 10 (I think). We have a corner aft. I wonder if they are the same. Seems odd to have the pole in the cabin -- did that interfere with anything (I can see me running into it in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom!!). Also odd about the shower curtain when the cabins that are priced less don't have them.

So, there is a window and the sliding glass door in each SS cabin?

I've heard that the layout can be a little different. My parents had #2146 and they only had one pole located immediately to the side of the bed closest to the bathroom. They didn't run into it, but said it was in the way.

The smaller pole near the bed in our cabin wasn't an issue. The large one that was placed in the walkway between the bathroom and the sofa was more of a problem. We didn't crash right into it, but would have to angle ourselves around it -- especially when my husband and I were rushing to get ready or pack.

I believe all of the S1 cabins have both the door and the window.

Glad you liked the photos!

Yes, that was wide open.

Actually, our Butler initially refused to open the divider stating that it could only be opened on port days (he said the glass would break otherwise). Our stateroom attendant had no problem opening it immediately and it stayed open the entire cruise. I placed one of the deck chairs next to it to keep it in place and prevented it from swinging, even in rougher seas.

I have never heard of this. There should be something that keeps this in place when it is open. We have never been told something so crazy... we always open ours up?? Weird. I hope we don't have this issue on our upcoming Solstice cruise...

I have never heard of this. There should be something that keeps this in place when it is open. We have never been told something so crazy... we always open ours up?? Weird. I hope we don't have this issue on our upcoming Solstice cruise...

It was strange to us as well. That's why we asked the stateroom attendant -- we thought eventually we'd get the answer we wanted to hear.:D

I'll admit, if we hadn't braced the divider with the chair, it probably would have been swinging around and possibly broken. Those rooms get a lot of movement. It was our first time in the aft -- I think being higher up on the far corner made the movement even bigger than I had expected.

We were in connecting SVs over New Years and loved them. No soot issues at all (deck 6). It's wonderful back there. And one very nice thing is that it's always quiet. Because there is no stairway nearby, and there is nothing back there but cabins, the only people who head in that direction are those who are staying in the aft. The view is wonderful too. Great view of the wake by day and the stars at night. Seems like there's less light back there, which makes star-gazing better.

Any problem with soot as some posters have mentioned and was your balcony covered?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

We are considering an AFT cabin, but have heard some less than favorable reviews?

We noticed a few little black spots here and there on the balcony, but it was by no means a problem. We just took a wash cloth and brushed the chair off to make sure we didn't sit on something. It was no big deal -- I would have been checking the chairs for bird poop anyway (just for the record, we never had a problem with that either;)).

Thank you for these wonderful photos cruisewmn. :)

We are booked in 1663 on Equinox and I've been longing to see some photos of an aft sky suite the same 'hand'.

For some reason, despite seeing photos of a suite on the other corner, I hadn't realised the bed is close to the door rather than the sofa. Also hadn't realised the door to the balcony would be so small. But the big porthole window looks good.

Those poles are a very strange feature! Does anyone know what they are for? Presumably they are structural or they wouldn't be there, although it would then seem odd there's only one in the starboard corner suites, so they're not symmetrical. Do they go through to the other floors? If so, then they must be in a slightly different position in each corner suite. I'd love to know the reason for them.

Those poles are a very strange feature! Does anyone know what they are for? Presumably they are structural or they wouldn't be there, although it would then seem odd there's only one in the starboard corner suites, so they're not symmetrical. Do they go through to the other floors? If so, then they must be in a slightly different position in each corner suite. I'd love to know the reason for them.

My parents' butler told them that they were stabilizers because there was so much motion in the rooms. I don't know if he was correct or if the poles are simply support beams.

When I showed my DH the photos, he thought maybe the poles are ducts of some kind, concealing wiring or plumbing. The larger of the two he definitely thought might be plumbing, and wondered if there would be noise from it.

I don't recall reading any reports of noise from the poles. Can anyone who's been in these suites tell us if the poles appeared to be solid and structural, or if they might be service ducts?

I still find it odd that one side of the ship has 2 poles, the other only one, whatever their purpose is.

Who can solve the mystery of the Solstice poles?!!

• 1 month later...

We are set to sail the Equanox Sept. 10 In room 1663. These pics help a great deal in the entire anticipation thing.

Can anyone tell us if the rooms on the different decks are a little different size.

We have traveled on several ships on the aft with our friends and the 2 rooms have never looked the same even though they were same class and position only different deck.

Thanks and looking forward to the info.

• 2 weeks later...
When I showed my DH the photos, he thought maybe the poles are ducts of some kind, concealing wiring or plumbing. The larger of the two he definitely thought might be plumbing, and wondered if there would be noise from it.

I don't recall reading any reports of noise from the poles. Can anyone who's been in these suites tell us if the poles appeared to be solid and structural, or if they might be service ducts?

I still find it odd that one side of the ship has 2 poles, the other only one, whatever their purpose is.

Who can solve the mystery of the Solstice poles?!!

We just got off the Solstice and were in a corner aft sky suite. Our cabin had one pole, right next to the bed. You had to go around it to climb into the bed at night!! We ate dinner at the Captain's Table one night and the Chief Engineer was at the table. I asked him about the pole. He said it was structural. We never heard any noise coming from it.

We just got off the Solstice and were in a corner aft sky suite. Our cabin had one pole, right next to the bed. You had to go around it to climb into the bed at night!! We ate dinner at the Captain's Table one night and the Chief Engineer was at the table. I asked him about the pole. He said it was structural. We never heard any noise coming from it.

My opinon when reading about these poles...is that the aft obviously was a faulty design, they realized after a certain point in building it, that it needed more support, and had to add these extra support poles! Seems logical to me. Don't believe that they'd put them into cabins that way in original plans!

My opinon when reading about these poles...is that the aft obviously was a faulty design' date=' they realized after a certain point in building it, that it needed more support, and had to add these extra support poles! Seems logical to me. Don't believe that they'd put them into cabins that way in original plans![/quote']

I agree with you, I think it was an afterthought. Certainly gave us a topic for lots of discussion. My husband kept telling people that the activities staff was offering a pole dancing class!!

Archived