Business class on Continental

spongerob

I often use Continental for short flights in the US, no complaints. I'm looking at CO for business class flights to Europe since they are much less expensive and the schedules are attractive. But, since it is so much cheaper, my guess is that there must be a reason.

Honestly, all I'm really looking for is the extra leg room. But if anyone can provide a quick comparison between comparable seating on BA and AA, it would be appreciated.

CO BusinessFirst is a very nice product. The outfit the 767 in a 2-1-2 config that allows for a wider seat than competitors who do 2-2-2. The seats are "barcalounger" style, not lie-flat or slant-board, but quite comfy. Food is good, service and other touches are first rate.

CO is my preferred way to South America, and I will be sorry when they leave SkyTeam at the end of the year. I am considering jumping ship to OnePass, but we shall see. Maybe even join Greatam as an EXP on AA. Who knows in the great shakeup of 2009.

I would be quite happy taking CO up front across any pond.

FT, it's funny that you talk about switching to AA. I'm thinking about switching my travel to Continental in the future - since AA decided yesterday to start running turboprops again in and out of my hometown. Thankfully I was able to get switched back to a regional jet flight but now I'm having to watch even more carefully to make sure I don't end up on those turboprop flights in the event of a schedule change.

CO BusinessFirst is a very nice product. The outfit the 767 in a 2-1-2 config that allows for a wider seat than competitors who do 2-2-2. The seats are "barcalounger" style, not lie-flat or slant-board, but quite comfy...

It kind of surprises me that CO hasn't kept up with AA in terms of the deployment of lie-flat seats in their 767 fleet. I looked on seat guru and it does indicate that lie-flat seats have been installed on CO 777's.

For me the CO product would be fine as I can readily sleep in coach seats.

I love Continental's Businessfirst! I'm actually writing this from Continental's presidents club getting ready to go on Businessfirst. Yes its not the best but the 2-1-2 seating is great on the 767. Flight attendants are great and I always get a great nights sleep even though its not fully flat. Plus you can't beat Continental's ice cream sundae dessert cart. :D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Continental-Airlines/Boeing-767-424-ER/0377226/L/

Row D is great if you're flying alone.

Honestly, all I'm really looking for is the extra leg room. But if anyone can provide a quick comparison between comparable seating on BA and AA, it would be appreciated.
If all you're looking for over economy is extra leg room, then premium economy may be all you need to pay for.

Business is a completely different animal. If you buy a business class fare today, you should be expecting a flat bed or something very close to it for that money. Ideally, it would be a horizontal bed. That is one area in which BA wins hands down over AA. In many ways, AA's is a business class seat from at least one, probably more like two, generations ago.

Continental's business class is just slightly more expensive than BA's premium economy, and about half the cost business class on BA.

Actually, the lay-flat beds are bad for me, I get really comfy and snore...or talk in my sleep, which can be just as annoying to others and MUCH more embarassing! :)

Thanks, folks, you always come through.

But I'm curious, Wrona, what's wrong with turboprops?

I don't mind all turboprops. I just don't like the ATR7 that American Eagle is now operating on some routes out of DFW. Bumpier flight IMO, less leg room, much noisier than regional jets, etc.

Continental's business class is just slightly more expensive than BA's premium economy, and about half the cost business class on BA.
Blimey! Sounds like CO would be a good deal, then, if you have no other pressing reason for flying either BA or AA.
Actually, the lay-flat beds are bad for me, I get really comfy and snore...or talk in my sleep, which can be just as annoying to others and MUCH more embarassing!
A hint from a fellow snorer: You soon get over the self-consciousness of that. ;) I just snore away to my heart's content, and get my partner to give me a read-out afterwards. I wish I could have a lie-flat bed on every trip.

Archived