Dress Code Alaska

Jamie

Hi All,

Is the dress code for Alaska Country Club Casual for the entire cruise? Not even one Informal night? I understand polos are out for men at dinner. I think we have some shirt shopping to do. How about bringing a blazer? Do the alternative restaurants require a jacket and/or a tie?

Thanks for any help.

Jamie

I've not done this itinerary, but my understanding is that there is usually an informal night. So take a jacket. And Signatures has an informal dress code, always I think, if it's the same as Voyager.

Be aware that if you do a repo Alaska, the first one of the year, up from California, then you will hit a formal night or two.

Thank You. I should have mentioned it's the June 3rd cruise aboard Mariner - Vancouver to Seward. I can't wait to sail with this wonderful cruise line again. As much as I've enjoyed Formal Nights, it's a bit of a relief to not have to pack the extra clothes.

Jamie

For those that have done this cruise, and if there is only one informal night. My question is it to cold for dresses or would pants be advised for the whole cruise? We have also been on the Voyager before the Prime restaurant. Does this restaurant require a coat and tie?

Cheryl, just noticed you are from Enid. I am in Tulsa.

Now as regards the question. I wear dresses a lot all the time, even in winter. I am planning to take a couple to wear to dinner on our Norway cruise this summer and took several on our Baltic cruise. But I like dresses. It would not be too cold for them. The temps in Alaska can range for cool to warm. Nothing we would consider hot here in OK, but once it was in the 80's when we were in Anchorage. The locals thought they were burning up.

Cheryl, just noticed you are from Enid. I am in Tulsa.

Now as regards the question. I wear dresses a lot all the time, even in winter. I am planning to take a couple to wear to dinner on our Norway cruise this summer and took several on our Baltic cruise. But I like dresses. It would not be too cold for them. The temps in Alaska can range for cool to warm. Nothing we would consider hot here in OK, but once it was in the 80's when we were in Anchorage. The locals thought they were burning up.

My daughter is in Bartlesville, have yo done the Alaskan cruise, I know what you said about people from Anchorage, my husband's brother is from Anchorage and home over Thanksgiving and we had a warm day that the guys went hunting, the weather was in the 60's he thought it was a heat wave. I just don't want to overpack a bunch of stuff I won't wear. Just not sure of the weather in September.

We haven't done Alaska on Regent. We have cruised on another line there as well as have done 3 land trips there. We have experienced everything from "pretty cold with snow and I was glad I took my long underwear" weather in July to a string of nice warm weather that would make you wish you had only taken shorts and t-shirts. I usually take jeans and hiking pants, a variety of tops that I can layer, a fleece, wet weather gear (very important), and for a cruise, some nice things to wear in the evening. I can do ok with those even if the temp is in the 80's.

Thanks for the information, I don't want to overpack, but I also don't like to be cold. Can I also ask what excursions you did while in Alaska. My husband and myself are in our 50's so ziplining does not excite us, but hiking, seeing the animals, glaciers and other scenery is more our speed.

In Ketchikan, there is a great hiking trail up Deer Mountain that you can do from the pier. This is also a good place to just look around in shops. We have done the Misty Fjords cruise. I probably wouldn't do it again. The scenery wasn't as impressive as I thought it was hyped to be, and the trip took all day.

Tracy Arm Fjord is an absolute must do. It is everything you expect plus more. Just amazing.

In Juneau, my favorite thing is the state historical society museum. It doesn't sound that exciting, but it is really well done. We visit every time we are in Juneau. You can walk there from the pier. I am not that impressed with Mendenhall glacier. Tracy Arm is way better.

The railroad in Skagway is a must do at least once.

If you have any time between getting off the ship and catching your plane in Anchorage and you have a car, there is a really neat wildlife refuge outside of Anchorage by Alyeska. They rehabilitate injured and orphaned Alaskan animals, so what they have is different every time. But there are usually at least a couple of bears, lots of caribou and moose, and plenty of others. Last time we were there, they had rescued an orphaned bear cub and were taking care of him. He was about 3 mos old and SOOO cute. They also had a mean porcupine.

I should have mentioned it's the June 3rd cruise aboard Mariner - Vancouver to Seward.

We're on the same cruise with you! You should pop over to the Regent Roll Call forum and sign in. Looks like there are a few of us CC members on the June 3 cruise.

We're traveling with my parents, and we're doing a week driving around after the cruise -- so I'm really worried about over-packing! I'm not sure how we're going to fit four of us plus our luggage for two weeks comfortably in our rental vehicle!

-- Eric

We're traveling with my parents, and we're doing a week driving around after the cruise -- so I'm really worried about over-packing! I'm not sure how we're going to fit four of us plus our luggage for two weeks comfortably in our rental vehicle!

Either rent an RV, or take advantage of the (free of charge, including detergent) laundry rooms on each floor of the Mariner as well as dry cleaning as necessary to re-use any nicer items. At least in Alaska, you don't have to worry about too much formal stuff.

I would suggest you consider taking a sea plane out of Juneau over the Mendenhall Glacier and having lunch at the Taku Lodge. We did that one year and it was truly awe inspiring. The lunch was some of the best salmon we have ever had and we have spent a great deal of time in the Pacific northwest eating fresh salmon.

We were there in late July and early August and it was snowing when we got to the end of Tracy Arm. Some of the days were lovely and some were drizzly and cold. It really didn't matter though because the scenery was so dazzling.

The Tracy Arm part of the trip was the absolute highlight. It was so good that we are going on the same itinerary again on the Mariner 9/9/09 cruise.

Happy sails!

Archived