RSVP Eurodam 2/13/2010

Boytjie

I am really not a complainer about things... the poor quality of the dining room service really struck me, though. Service throughout the ship was excellent, and the food was excellent - but service in the dining room each night we were there (except one) was pretty darn bad. And the service in Pinnacle was really bad the night we ate there (but again, the food itself was excellent). Tamarind on the other hand featured great food and great service. I think that the staff is having issues adjusting to the anytime dining concept, and hopefully the issues we encountered will resolve themselves.

I am really not a complainer about things... the poor quality of the dining room service really struck me, though. Service throughout the ship was excellent, and the food was excellent -

Well, time for me to open my big mouth. :eek:

Compared to the Holland America in 08, I thought the food on the 09 cruise was overall BLAND. The food in the restraunts (and I ate at both), was better. The Tamarac (spelling?), where I ate on MOnday night (Thanks Reuel), was excellent. I thought the variety in the dinning room was good. The Meosili (?), oatmeal yogurt thing at breakfast was my favorite, along with the cucumber chilled soup.

I heard people wanted more variety at the 0200 buffet. Well, honestly, I loved knowing what to expect, and what I could get to soak up the booze. Therefore that didn't bother me a bit. The french fries were fabulouse at 0200 a.m.

Granted, I drank ALOT, and I inhaled the salmon on the last night, in one solid breath! I could of just been too drunk to notice any flavor.

The wine service was poor at the begining of the week, but improved with time. I am a novice wine snob, and thought the wine stewards could of done more... there didn't seem to be many in the dinning room at the begining of the week.

Our Room Steward was excellent. He loved me, and I loved thim. Must send him a Christmas Card. Just kidding.

The people on the cruise made it for me this year. Ya all are FABULOUSE! xoxooxoxoxoox

Our mini-review!

we had a few minor issues and i will note below.

cabin steward - wonderful. always friendly and always kept our room stocked with towels, clean sheets, etc.

main dining room - we had 8:45 late "open" seating. had a very good waiter the 2nd night we ate there and decided to sit in his area the remainder of the cruise. we had excellent service from him as well he was very personable and enjoyed talking to us while he worked!

buffet food service - we really didnt use it that much, but have complaints about HAL's timing of service and when they choose to close a line or stop service. Someone needs to explain to them that "the gays" have a later schedule and they need to understand that. of course, RSVP may have to pay a higher charter rate to change the service times.

also noticed that the food in the buffet is exactly the same food served in the dining rooms.

tamarind - absolutly wonderful!

shows - all the shows we attended were great. sometimes i laughed so hard that at the end i had a headache!

clothing opt deck - wonderful except for the normal lurkers! :cool:

very large and a nice place to get away for a little quiet time.

cabin hallways - every so often smelled sewerage. does that mean that someone "flushed" a condom???? :eek: fortunately, not near our cabin (5042).

gym/spa - very very small. i worked out one time because it was so crowded. i enjoy working with free weights. the area was crowded if 4 guys were there. it was not enjoyable. we did not pay the premium for the spa and glad we didnt. would never have used it.

like i have said before.....enjoyed it so much, we are booked for next year!

dave

Well, time for me to open my big mouth. :eek:

Compared to the Holland America in 08, I thought the food on the 09 cruise was overall BLAND. The food in the restraunts (and I ate at both), was better. The Tamarac (spelling?), where I ate on MOnday night (Thanks Reuel), was excellent. I thought the variety in the dinning room was good. The Meosili (?), oatmeal yogurt thing at breakfast was my favorite, along with the cucumber chilled soup.

I heard people wanted more variety at the 0200 buffet. Well, honestly, I loved knowing what to expect, and what I could get to soak up the booze. Therefore that didn't bother me a bit. The french fries were fabulouse at 0200 a.m.

Granted, I drank ALOT, and I inhaled the salmon on the last night, in one solid breath! I could of just been too drunk to notice any flavor.

The wine service was poor at the begining of the week, but improved with time. I am a novice wine snob, and thought the wine stewards could of done more... there didn't seem to be many in the dinning room at the begining of the week.

Our Room Steward was excellent. He loved me, and I loved thim. Must send him a Christmas Card. Just kidding.

The people on the cruise made it for me this year. Ya all are FABULOUSE! xoxooxoxoxoox

OK here is my verdict on the service part of the cruise:

Overall I was very happy with the service even though it was all a bit anonymous. My cabin stewards or steward I never saw. I was the peasant, living in an inside steerage cabin in a hall full of suites, so my room was usually not serviced until after lunch. Usually on cruises as soon as you leave for breakfast they go in and do the room. But schedules were a bit different than a regular cruise and it didn't bother me. I only had room service once as the door order card was never replaced nor was the laundry order list. But the cabin was clean, tidy and comfortable. Is it me or are the Eurodam inside staterooms really small??

HAL must have hired a cabin lighting designer who only had previous experience with hospitals and clinics. Never had such a cold stark lighting in a cabin before. It was at first kind of hard to create the right romantic atmosphere with newly found gentlemen friends.

I thought the dining room food and service was quite good and far more better than previous HAL cruises. Normally I find HAL food and service bland but the dining room food was far more better. I did order a 10 glass wine card which worked fine. Ron did the same and on the last day we had to drink wine all the time as we had so many glasses left ;). I didn't notice service being slow. We had free dining and most of the time had really nice conversations at the diner table. It was never difficult to get a table. The only thing I found odd was that every time you had to give your cabin number for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never had that before.

Oh yes, they served espresso and cappuccino after your meal free of charge. Some cruiselines you have to pay for it. And the coffee was drinkable. (also quite a novelty on cruise ships there days) Lido food was OK. Very nice to go there after the dance parties for a snack. I was by no means as crowded as I was led to believe in previous reviews

Over the week the crew dropped some of the corporate service masks, relaxed a bit and showed more of the own personality. I still remember that astonished bar waitress at the Mardi Grass party. She witnessed J.D. climbing that drink and towel cupboard on the aft deck wearing very high heels. Once up, it looked like J.D. was about to do a Mary Poppins as the wind was quite fierce. Did you see the hotel manager in his boxer shorts at the underwear party??

The bar staff were doing a lot of hard sell. During the sail away we asked if we wanted a double shot vodka, and that was a really stiff drink. They also aggressively tried to sell more expensive brands. These were of course not included on the cocktail card. Some refused drinks on a cocktails card while others just allowed it. If they were being difficult I just told them to get there act together and they would clip the card. Considering the amount of business and tips we generated I don't think it was very polite and civilized. I met a couple from the Netherlands who arranged a personal trainer in the gym. At first they were met by a hard sell of USD900 of supplements and were basically told if they would not take it training would be useless. So they canceled the whole thing immediately.

The front desk did screw up my credit card authorisation twice. Just having had a new card with a different expiry date I reported it immediately once on board. Only to be called back just before boat drill asked to come back as it was refused. I once again explained it and they would do it again. Two days later I was called again and asked to come down "at my convenience" to call my bank. Now I showed them both cards old and new...guess what Computer said yes!! Jon Vassil told me they've been using my old card expiry date all the time. But it still a very scary experience. Having worked at the front desk my self I know what a gruesome job it can be. However recently on Queen Mary 2 I was very impressed with the front desk. This robotic lot was back to computer says nooooo attitude.

But like Kevin said, everything was more or less in the background as my fellow passengers made the trip!

In general HAL is a good product in line with other cruiselines.

Just got home at last after a few days with the Mothership, in Jupiter{FL. that is} She is always glad to see us complete her Honeydew list and take us to every Early bird special within 20 miles.........

We had a better time on the cruise than we did the previous 2 we've taken...RSVP throws a great party and the Eurodam and its crew were fabulous! However the greatest of our memories are of all of you on this message board........you made the cruise for us and we thank all of you for your warmth, hospitality, and genuine friendship! and now.......on to next years countdown.!

In terms of service we had few issues. The crew seemed like they were working harder/faster or at least there were more of them this year than last - it was a major improvement from the Zuiderdam. There were obviously issues though - especially with the speed of ordering drinks and availability of waiters in the main stage area - but other than that the only real complaint I had was the DJ's weren't all that great. The 80's party was more of a late 70's party and the stop-and-go trance that seemed to play every night was boring and really messed up the flow. I like to get down and have fun, not fall asleep on the deck chairs. Where were my anthems?! I like to cruise with Whitney, Mariah and Beonyce every once in a while too.

I've been looking at the Atlantis cruise because I hear that is the "party boat" and since I really like to dance I thought I'd look up what DJ's they have on those cruises but I can't seem to find a list of entertainers? I'm hoping that I can send off a few e-mails if they have some decent DJ's on those cruises that maybe they can do the Eurodam next year. I love the crowd of the RSVP group but I can't stand the music.

It is interesting how different experiencs can be on the same cruise!

The only thing I found odd was that every time you had to give your cabin number for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never had that before.

We were never asked for it other than at the sepacialty restaurants. We had open seating but ate the last night at the 8:45 seating with friends celebrating a birthday and nobody checked whether we were supposed to be there or not.

Over the week the crew dropped some of the corporate service masks, relaxed a bit and showed more of the own personality.

How about this one: our Pinnacle Grill waiter was asked if he was married and he ended up telling us about going commando, having had a stripper girlfriend that invited in another man etc. Oh my! And the Hotel Manager in his boxers - what a treat! Mark is quite a character. And who can forget the guys behind the pizza counter the night of the leather aprty?

The bar staff were doing a lot of hard sell.

We never had any of that either! We brought a couple of bottles of wine onboard and had no issues with is in any of the dining areas. It seems that quite a few people had punches left at the end of the cruise.

I met a couple from the Netherlands who arranged a personal trainer in the gym. At first they were met by a hard sell of USD900 of supplements and were basically told if they would not take it training would be useless. So they canceled the whole thing immediately.

We had a couples masage in a Retreat Cabana and when the masseuse started the sales pitch after the massage I just said 'no thanks'. They are pushed to sell products but seem to be OK if you stop them and decline it.

Did anyone notice the Canaletteo waiters (striped shirts) working in the dining room the first night? Apparently they notcied a rush on the dining room and pulled staff from other areas that were not so busy. I think our dining habits differ from a regual cruise's so they have to adjust all the time.

First let me say that I was expecting below standard service, having read all the CC comments of the earlier cruises. :confused:

How pleasantly surprised I was ! :)

Our cabin steward Jong was always quick and understanding of our varied schedules. He really seemed to enjoy the "special" nature of this sailing. We did not tip him before the last day when we generously thanked him.

In the Lido at ALL hours I found enough staffing behind the food lines and they were quick and efficient.

Although I do hope that HAL would adjust their service hours for RSVP sailings.

Ditto the Dining Room and Showtimes. There has been much discussion of this on other CC threads.

Tamarand was just plain a very special evening (thank YOU Kevin). If anything, the service was too good. We ate there on Sailaway evening and the room was only half full, so the lovely waitresses had more time on their hands.

Pinnacle was up to their usual superb standards both in food and service. I had a reservation for 2 but ended up dining alone (always an unusual situation for the wait staff). Mario the Maitre' D, could not have been more accommodating and understanding. And even though, because of my single status, I was at an out-of-the-way table (but wonderful overlooking the atrium) the service never missed a beat.

Canaletto was also an surprising treat. I had not expected much from an under-used corner of the Lido. The last night and I hadn't tried it yet, so I just walked up and was accommodated even as a single. This turned out to be a stroke of luck as immediately another single showed up. He turned out to be CCD'er RMSOlympic (hello Tom). The service there was correct, but cool, as opposed to all other servers who were open and personable.

In the dining room where I only got to eat twice (!) I was the most impressed because of the previous bad reviews. Once my on-table pepper mill was not working right, I shook it to make sure it wasn't empty (it wasn't) and turned it over to look at the grinder, next thing I knew there was the waiter with the large pepper grinder to help. I had not even looked up or motioned to anyone. Now for me that is just a little sign of very attentive and subtle service ! ! ! !

The other evening (hello Vickie & Maria, last year's "2nd Date") I was rather demanding because I wanted two appetizers and soup and a 2nd rack of lamb. No problems and no questions except for when I ordered the 2nd rack. When I ordered the 2nd one the waiter wanted to know if anything was wrong with the rack I had just tasted. I replied "NO !", it was just so good I wanted another one. So as I finished my first one, it was cleared and the next one was served. Much praise is deserved and zero complaints. :D

Wine stewards: Yes, a few times I did have to ask for the steward to come by, which they did promptly. There was never any attitude about me using the Wine Card, which has been reported on other threads. In the dining room I was inviting Vickie and Maria to a glass, and they wanted one that was not included in the Wine Card, the steward just informed me of that, I said OK for regular wine charges, and never missed a beat. In Pinnacle I just asked the waitress for a glass of the Cabernet since I knew what I wanted and she brought it herself (Linda is a jewel). :D

Over all, even if I had not been prepared for substandard experiences I would have been wonderfully impressed with the entire Eurodam staff.

Their whole-hearted embracing of, and participation in the RSVP spirit was just icing on the cake.

NOW, yes this all sounds rather "Pollyanna" all glowing and praise, however, those that know me are well aware that I would be the first to complain and loudly and fervently if the littlest thing was not correct or as promised.

FORGOT: It is way past time HAL gets rid of that KITSCH "Parade Of The Baked Alaska" !!! But, to do it with GLOW STICKS instead of actually flaming the dessert ????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only complaint about this whole cruise, and I dealt with it by running, was the very tight scheduling by RSVP especially the entertainment.

Seriously, Amy & Freddie at 8:00 sandwiched in between Cheyenne Jackson at 7:00 and 9:00 ??? !!! Just what would it cost (= $0.00) to move a show by 1/2 hour ????

Sunday was an overwhelming nightmare of scheduling by RSVP and then we had to add in CC M&G and Dan Howell M&G. This poor food-a-holick didn't get "dinner" until after Midnight in the Lido.

r.

PS: Even with all the running, I still gained more Lbs. than I care to admit here (think Kevin's & Peter's losses added together). :eek:

PPS: Sorry you guys ended up with 4 cents worth ;)

OK here is my verdict on the service part of the cruise:

Is it me or are the Eurodam inside staterooms really small??

The standard inside staterooms were the smalllest insides I have ever been in at only 154 sq feet. And the pictures were never of the standard insides but the large insides.

I also lost weight on the cruise due to the dancing but I wasn't real fond of the music but kept dancing anyway.

Carnival in Curaco next year sounds fantastic.

I am really not a complainer about things... the poor quality of the dining room service really struck me, though. Service throughout the ship was excellent, and the food was excellent - but service in the dining room each night we were there (except one) was pretty darn bad. And the service in Pinnacle was really bad the night we ate there (but again, the food itself was excellent). Tamarind on the other hand featured great food and great service. I think that the staff is having issues adjusting to the anytime dining concept, and hopefully the issues we encountered will resolve themselves.

I've got to disagree with you Matt. We had the same dining room waiter as on the Zuiderdam last year, and he was outstanding as usual.

Matt I have to agree with you on the main dining room. We were ok once we found a great waiter and support staff towards the end of the cruise. Last cruise we went on we ate in the Pinnacle and it was terrible. This time we ate in the Tamarind and it was fantastic! The service was much better than it has been in the past for us with the exception of our cabin steward. That was worse than any cruise we have been on.

Some friends of ours that haven't sailed with RSVP for 3 years called and booked the cruise for next year. They were told it was selling fast and might not even make it to the web before being sold out! Quite a difference from the Caribbean Princess 2 years ago where they were giving 2 for 1 deals. By the way, hopefully my friends will be new CC members this year, too.

Other than the first night when service in the dining room was a little slow (didn't mind it, though, due to the company at the table), we had great experiences dining. I agree that the Tamarind was fantastic and well worth the extra cost. We'll definitely eat there again next year!

I still think the dining room issues are mostly due to their adjustment to an "anytime" concept, since previous years on Zuiderdam and Westerdam did not have the issues we had this year...

We have booked an inside "I" cabin, which is supposed to be "large" - considering we did 119 square feet on Majesty of the Seas, anything bigger than that is heaven.

---

I am tentatively booked on a Queen Mary 2 bargain, and I do mean bargain, cruise for Labor Day Weekend with Pied Piper. It's Ralph's (hopefully) passing the Bar gift to me, so something to look forward to without waiting a whole year to be at sea again.

I still think the dining room issues are mostly due to their adjustment to an "anytime" concept, since previous years on Zuiderdam and Westerdam did not have the issues we had this year...

We have booked an inside "I" cabin, which is supposed to be "large" - considering we did 119 square feet on Majesty of the Seas, anything bigger than that is heaven.

---

I am tentatively booked on a Queen Mary 2 bargain, and I do mean bargain, cruise for Labor Day Weekend with Pied Piper. It's Ralph's (hopefully) passing the Bar gift to me, so something to look forward to without waiting a whole year to be at sea again.

Matt, you moved back to LA? :eek:

Hmmm,, QM2 Labor Day....

FORGOT: It is way past time HAL gets rid of that KITSCH "Parade Of The Baked Alaska" !!! But, to do it with GLOW STICKS instead of actually flaming the dessert ????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which night was that: Thursday? Must have been, we missed it then as we ate in the Pinnacle Grill that night. Thank Goodness. :)

Which night was that: Thursday? Must have been, we missed it then as we ate in the Pinnacle Grill that night. Thank Goodness. :)

It especially doesn't work well now with anytime dining. We were waiting for our main course when the dessert "parade" went by.

*pokes head out from under covers after being sick with the dreaded Eurodam flu all week*

so, lots of different opinions on service and food this trip. I have to say, of all my cruises, I found this one to be the most lacking in both. This isn't so much a complaint, this was an incredible trip, but there were some things that really stood out to me and my friends.

Seemed to me staffing was quite less this year. I had the same steward as my friends waaaaay down the hallway and twice my "morning" cabin make up wasn't done until 3:30/4:00 pm... when I was ready to take a nap. When my friends down the hall asked (politely of course) why it had been taking so long to have their room done they were told very brusquely that he had lots and lots of cabins to do and they have to wait. It just felt like the steward to cabin ratio was down this year.

Same thing could be said about the cocktail/waitstaff up on deck. On previous cruises you couldn't go five minutes without someone asking you if you want a drink... sitting up on deck by the mid-ship pool it took almost an hour for someone to come by. Then, took 20 minutes for them to come back with the drink (and I *hate* how they take your key card with them :P ). Also, lunch dishes/finished drinks/etc were never cleared... even when staff did finally come by to take a drink order, they didn't clear the tables... I watched dirty plates sitting on tables for hours some afternoons. I finally got up and cleared my own table myself. VERY different from years past.

and the food... I totally agree with MNHippie... bland. Granted, they are normally serving the granny folks with little taste buds and sensitive tummies but still... much of what I had was little better than frozen food I can get at the local market (the pizza tasted suspiciously like Red Baron pizza to me... never saw any boxes tho hehehehe) Cruise food used to be the best of the best, and on this trip there really wasn't anything I could say stood out as remotely special food-wise.

That said... this was still a fabulous trip. I don't do these cruises for the food or the service, it's all about the week with my friends, the RSVP experience and so much more. I soooo can't wait for next year, but I'll definitely be loading up on my vitamin c before the trip next time :P

This was Stuart's and my second cruise, and it is very interesting to compare the experiences of others to what we experienced in terms of the service and food.

Re: the cabin, we were on Deck 4, midship and within 10 minutes of us being able to access our cabin, our main cabin steward and his colleague were walking down the hall and introduced themselves. We had no problem giving them each a $20 tip and believe it or not, within the next 90 minutes or so, we had all our bags and we were unpacked before the lifeboat drill.

Cabin service was great - always a full bucket of ice, always fresh towels, even if we didn't ask, and our room was 'kept up' 3 times a day, consistently the whole week. BTW, our main cabin steward's name was Hardy.

Re: the dining room - I would agree they're still adjusting to the open seating concept, but Stuart and I opted for early seating in the upper main dining room. We usually asked for a table at the very back and we always received prompt, excellent service. I guess being at the early seating for dinner does have some advantages.

Re: food, I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to food, so I really have no complaints... well, maybe one. On at least 2 late nights, they seemed to run out of vanilla ice cream in the Lido restaurant... minor point (I'm just not a fan of frozen yogurt which is what they had instead)! :o

We usually tried to eat in the main dining room for all our meals, including breakfast; we also ate at Canaletto in the Lido restaurant, and in the Pinnacle Grill on the Friday (6:30 pm). Service and food quality in the Pinnacle for us was excellent. And they did get pretty busy, especially around 8:00 pm on that last night. We didn't get a chance to try the Tamarind, but will make that a priority for next year's cruise. We've heard nothing but raves about the Tamarind.

As for bar service, we really can't comment as we're not big drinkers...

Ok, so for my question re: the 2010 cruise - has anyone on here been to Curacao and/or Aruba before? I've heard great things about both places and I'm just wondering if anyone has any highlights of either or both places to share.

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone!

Aji (& Stuart)

:)

within 10 minutes of us being able to access our cabin, our main cabin steward and his colleague were walking down the hall and introduced themselves. We had no problem giving them each a $20 tip and believe it or not, within the next 90 minutes or so, we had all our bags and we were unpacked before the lifeboat drill.

Cabin service was great - always a full bucket of ice, always fresh towels, even if we didn't ask, and our room was 'kept up' 3 times a day, consistently the whole week. BTW, our main cabin steward's name was Hardy.

Re: the dining room - I guess being at the early seating for dinner does have some advantages.

Re: food, I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to food, so I really have no complaints... well, maybe one. On at least 2 late nights, they seemed to run out of vanilla ice cream in the Lido restaurant... minor point (I'm just not a fan of frozen yogurt which is what they had instead)! :o

We usually tried to eat in the main dining room for all our meals, including breakfast; we also ate at Canaletto in the Lido restaurant, and in the Pinnacle Grill on the Friday (6:30 pm). Service and food quality in the Pinnacle for us was excellent. And they did get pretty busy, especially around 8:00 pm on that last night. We didn't get a chance to try the Tamarind, but will make that a priority for next year's cruise. We've heard nothing but raves about the Tamarind.

I can only agree with the above comments.

As for the Tamarind, I didn't know what I was eating most of the time, but it tasted just fine.

*pokes head out from under covers after being sick with the dreaded Eurodam flu all week*

That said... this was still a fabulous trip. I don't do these cruises for the food or the service, it's all about the week with my friends, the RSVP experience and so much more. I soooo can't wait for next year, but I'll definitely be loading up on my vitamin c before the trip next time

Phil,

So sorry to hear of you being under the weather. Glad you are better.

And it seems we were on a different boat. Granted, most of the food could have had a little more life. You are probably right about their "usual" PAX. But then again, I had some really exceptional meals. I never ended up with a minute to lay out by the pool, and I don't drink so no experience with the wait staff up there. In the Main Stage I did note that some people seemed to be anxious for their next beverage and couldn't find a waiter fast enough.

Since we are all busily posting reviews. Let's not forget to send Jim and Terry a big Thanks for a wonderful Penthouse party once again.

Have done it before, but I will never miss an opportunity to thank Terry and Jim again and again. :D

Matt, you moved back to LA? :eek:

Hmmm,, QM2 Labor Day....

Matt,

Have you ever done the Pied Piper thing before ? VERY interested in feedback from you or anyone else.

LA = NO-NO . . . . FLA all the way :D

Yes, it was Thursday.

I had thought they did on the LAST night of a cruise, but no.

AND, I was serious, Lights dimmed, Glow Sticks (Lime Green) being waved in the air like flags, and the Baked Alaska no where near flaming.:eek:

Someone in corporate who made that decision needs to be fired.:mad:

OXOXOXOXOXOXOX to all,

r,

well, I guess my old mattinla handle still works :) I was so tired last night after work, probably just typed that in and didn't even realize it.

But no, I am firmly in Florida.

R - Pied piper - or any gay group cruise - is a very different experience from RSVP. Personally I like both experiences. PP does a good job of organization and they always have good group rates. Because I was a past passenger of Cunard I got an amazing rate, and then PP's clout with Cunard meant I even got a better grade of cabin than I expected and an onboard credit. They will seat you at dinner with members of the group, plan at least one group excursion and do some special events.

Archived