Shrimp cocktail cut back?

Vectorboy

We are just off the 2/1 sailing of the Millie from Sydney to Auckland and noticed some serious lapses, both in the menus and basically the lowering of standards in food, which has always been Celebrity's bright shinning star. Frequently there was only one item, at most, that appealed on the menus, both lunch and dinner, which is very surprising to us as long time supporters of Celebrity. We were also disappointed in the Olympic restaurant, although the other folks at our table felt just the opposite, so perhaps it was just what we ordered that failed to impress. You are told to choose ONE item under Starters so we chose the Caesar Salad, (excellent) but we would have liked to try another appetizer or soup. We found out from our friends the next evening that all you have to do is say you want to share a couple of other items and they give you no problem! We were just too shy I guess, but additionally the steak was not any better than we had in the MDR, plus it was served with mashed potatoes and a few vegetables artfully placed in the potatoes. The chocolate souffle was excellent but for $30pp extra, plus wine and tip, we felt it was a waste of money. Another complaint is that on our last trip on the Millie to Alaska in July we had the option of automatic tipping, which we actually like, but they provided envelopes so we could personally give our tips to those who served us and in each envelope we were able to add an additional amount. In this way, we were able to indicate and express our appreciation. On this latest Millie cruise, we got a printed sheet thanking us, no envelopes, and no way to individually add more to our tip. Please, Celebrity, if you are hearing your passengers complaints, you will revert to the older system. One couple at our table even went to guest services to remove the automatic charge and was told all the staff who served them would be told immediately that they were not tipping! Rather embarrassing, I would say! The ship itself is going into dry dock in May for some well needed refurbishing so am sure its shabby state will be eliminated as we heard flat screen TVs were one of the improvements. Am hoping they replace the dinky orange chairs they had in our Sky Suite that even a midget wouldn't have found comfortable. Our wonderful butler found us two large ugly blue chairs so we could at least be comfortable to watch television but sure were not pretty to look at. Thank goodness the ports and people of Australia and New Zealand were so wonderful we could put aside our disappointment in the ship. Trish (TwoPats)

This is really a rediculous thread. All the appetizers have been cut back. On our last cruise on the connie (08), I just ordered two shrimp cocktails and they always appeared. Some other appetizers were also ordered as doubles.

I also almost always ordered the indian vegetarian dish with whatever I ordered for my main meal because I prefer the indian vegetarian to the veggies that come with the regular meals. Again, no problem at all.

Finally, I order caesar salad the first night with anchovies...and for the rest of the cruise, the waiter assumes that I want the same thing (which I do) and anchovies are always on the table.

The waiters really do try to please and as long as you're reasonable, they'll really try to please you. You should tip accordingly (in excess of the recommended amount) if you ask for more than the usual.

I was just on the Galaxy 11 day cruise and it was 2 shrimp per. However, near the end of the cruise, they automatically gave us 2 servings. Not a big deal since we didn't starve on the cruise. However, it did look chincy. Overall, portions of all entrees were smaller. Thus, I achieved my smallest weight gain in cruising history.

SIL and I were on Galaxy's 11 night S. Carib. Jan. 19th. SIL got 3 shrimp the first night and after that it was 2, except one night is was 3 jumbo and another night it was several salad shrimp. They didn't run out of anything that I know of, but the lobster tail looked like it had been halved length-wise and SIL said it was a bit tough. Except for the crabcake appetizer, I don't order any seafood on cruises because it's not deep-fried and disguised, lol. They did have baked Alaska, which I don't care for (even years ago when my mom made it for her "company" dessert). I always order something else.

My beef was very good except one night I had to send something back because it was mooing at me and the replacement was a bit over-done. Over all the food was very good. I did say at the time that I'm glad we didn't go later as the deadline approached for Galaxy's exit. It doesn't surprise me that they are running out of things and not replacing them. Toppings for the waffles were sparse and no sugar-free syrup.

Service was great as always and we DID get our evening chocolates, which friends on Radiance OS did not on their SA cruise in Jan. They said many of the expected amenities were missing, but we didn't feel that about Galaxy. It was SIL's first cruise so everything was wonderful for her. :)

I don't sweat the small stuff and can't wait till June and the Summit Classical Med.

I don't care for anything else mixed in with my lobster. Classic lobster with drawn butter, please.

We always enjoyed the larger lobster tail with drawn butter on Celebrity and never ordered more than one. I think the fact that some cruisers pigged out on the lobster by ordering more than their fair share (including a "vacation planner" at Celebrity who admitted to always ordering 3-4 lobsters) have ruined it for the rest of us who showed more restraint.

I would prefer that Celebrity said "no" to extra orders and go back to the serving of the classic style and portion of several years ago.

I agree!

...I don't understand some people's fascination with MDR cruise ship lobster... It is impossible to make 3000 great cold-water lobsters at once people! What you get are frozen warm-water examples (langouste). Anybody who has experience in eating lobster ashore and goes to restaurants regulary or knows anything about food knows that good lobster can only be found FRESH and made "à la minute".
You know, something must have happened in the Celebrity kitchens. All of the chefs that knew how to prepare lobster tails for a crowd must have gone on to greener pastures.

A few years back, I never read of any complaints here about the lobster tails being served in the MDR. :rolleyes: Oh maybe every once in a while, someone would post they were denied an additional tail or three.

Since they have switched to a seafood medley with rock lobster under the new kitchen management team, there are numerous complaints about the dish.

Obviously, the issue is not frozen lobster or the cooking methodology. They used to prepare lobster tail with few complaints. The M class ships have not gotten any larger so the demands on the kitchens aren't different. To me, the issue is strictly cost. It's another case of a cruising tradition being too expensive to maintain.

On Millie in September, it wasn't a matter of portion size, the quality was not good, especially the beef and I would not want any more! very disappointing.

I totally agree with you, Judy. Our October cruise was the biggest disappointment ever. The beef was awful, and we have never heard so many "I'll see" responses in the Dining Room. Couldn't even get Ranch Dressing for my salad. We had originally made 4 reservations in the Olympic Restaurant, but after dining there once, we cancelled the other 3 reservations. They even managed to screw up the cheese souffle!!!!:eek: Our expectations were to have a similar experience to what we had on the Summit only 8 months prior. But that wasn't the case, unfortunately.:(

I totally agree with you, Judy. Our October cruise was the biggest disappointment ever. The beef was awful, and we have never heard so many "I'll see" responses in the Dining Room. Couldn't even get Ranch Dressing for my salad. We had originally made 4 reservations in the Olympic Restaurant, but after dining there once, we cancelled the other 3 reservations. They even managed to screw up the cheese souffle!!!!:eek: Our expectations were to have a similar experience to what we had on the Summit only 8 months prior. But that wasn't the case, unfortunately.:(

That is because they are trying to force people to the so call "wonderful" specialty restaurants.

People fall for this hook, line and sinker.

That is because they are trying to force people to the so call "wonderful" specialty restaurants.

People fall for this hook, line and sinker.

Well, that certainly didn't work that way with us, Jillian.:D In fact, it worked just the opposite since we then cancelled our other 3 reservations. Why on earth would I be willing to pay additional to have another disappointing dining experience in their Specialty Restaurant??? At least disappointment in the MDR won't be costing me additional.

[quote name='ginagirl']Well, that certainly didn't work that way with us, Jillian.:D In fact, it worked just the opposite since we then cancelled our other 3 reservations. Why on earth would I be willing to pay additional to have another disappointing dining experience in their Specialty Restaurant??? At least disappointment in the MDR won't be costing me additional.[/quote]

Amen sista!!!!!!:):):)

I agree that this is a ridiculous thread. I was only cruising X in September and the food was excellent everywhere I ate.

You are able to get more if you ask and the quality was excellent too.

I hope the same people who are complaining are not the ones looking for an extra discount too - the prices right now are so low do you really expect to get the 5* food for 3* prices??

My upcoming TA works out at US$64 per night for a CC cabin and I know it will be fabulous!! And the food will be at least 4* - if it isn't I'll be sure to let you know but I have yet to have a bad cruise especially where food is concerned and I promise you I have eaten in some of the best restaurants worldwide!

It's cheaper than staying at home!!

Hi Ma - As always, you appear to be upset that people are voicing concern about the downward spiral of the cruise industry, and in this case, the cost-cutting that's going on in the dining room. Would it be okay with you if these honest comments are not dismissed by comparing them to war, the economy or any other topic? Is it too hard for you to sit at your computer and not defend your beloved cruiseline? If you go to the doctor and complain about pain, should he tell you that other people have cancer so you should not complain? Of course there are important things going on, but your desire to silence anyone who dares to imply that cruising could be improved and the companies that run the ships could show more consideration for their customers seems out of place on a site where people are supposed to be expressing their opinions about what they like and what they think needs improvement. I know. You've never had a bad cruise. Good for you. But you are NOT the only person who cruises so let others have their say. You can always post later that you love Celebrity and never had a bad cruise, but its hardly a worthwhile contribution to this thread.

I love to hear all the constructive criticism and there is plenty to go around, but counting shrimp is getting to the point of being just a little ridiculous, especially since all one needs to do is ask for more.

Since you find it necessary to attribute things to me that I didn't say, you seem to be the one who's upset.

[quote name='hajekfam']The lobster seafood mix that has replaced the lobster tail on formal night - is a very small lobster tail (no bigger than a jumbo shrimp), scallops, and a large shrimp or two. No drawn butter - there was seasoning to it.
sorry Andy - we were posting at the same time.[/quote]
[SIZE=6][COLOR=Red]What! [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4] No lobster tail on formal night...I may have to cancel my cruise...the lobster tail is something I look forward to! Man, what's this world coming to when you can't have lobster tail on formal night!:mad:[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]I don't want a lobster seafood mix, I want LOBSTER TAIL![/SIZE]

Hard to understand what the big deal about shrimp cocktail is. Yes it's delicious ,but you can have it almost anywhere at any time. Hard to mess it up if it's fresh.
It's so simple and great tasting in it's simplicity,but in a fine restaurant or on a cruise ,give me something more exotic,more complex.
To me it's as exciting as Oreos and milk---I love'em but tempt me with something different when I dine out.

[quote name='Ma Bell']Is there anything truly important going on in the world.[/quote]

[SIZE=4]For heaven sakes yes, where have you been....the size of the shrimp cocktail has been reduced to 3 shrimps.... will it ever end?????:mad::mad::mad:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]

[quote name='Deeliteful']I agree that this is a ridiculous thread. I was only cruising X in September and the food was excellent everywhere I ate.

You are able to get more if you ask and the quality was excellent too[SIZE=5]...[/SIZE][/quote]
This reminds me of my favorite description ;) of a restaurant in a novel.............................

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]The food is horrible but they give you big portions![/SIZE] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Archived