Shrimp cocktail cut back?

Vectorboy

Recently back from 10 days on the Galaxy and the shrimp cocktail only has 2 shrimps now. Didn't it used to be 4 or 5?

Was this a Galaxy thing or X wide?

Some genius manager's idea of cost savings....

The Constellation's last month had 3 shrimp. It was on their "everyday picks" on the righ side of the menu.

The shrimp cocktail on Century in December had four shrimp. When we sailed on Century previously, one of our tablemates would order two or three every night. If I received one with two shrimp, I would just order another.

Hi Everyone !

On Solstice, I am pretty sure the serving was 4 Shrimp, and they were very nice sized. While I am no expert on this topic, it's possible they were running low on Shrimp, and had to serve smaller portions. At any rate, as Geoherb said, you can always ask for another portion.

Although some of the portions were smaller or different, there was plenty on the menu and the waiters always offered to being more of anything ...

I also enjoyed the seafood combo that replaced the lobster tail dish....

My experiences were that when it was a daily menu item, it contained 4 shrimp, but when ordered as an always available item, they only gave you 3.

However, on 2 recent Solstice cruises, it was always 4 from whatever menu.

Maybe Galaxy was stretching a depleted supply, or didn't get their full shipment, or just didn't care since the ship is a goner.

On our recent Millennium Cruise, I ordered it once...but they weren't even whole shrimp, but cut up rather small shrimp, in a bed of lettuce to try to make it look like more. I only ordered it because nothing on the appetizer list look good at all, and since I'm not that great a fan of shrimp, didn't bother ordering it again. In the several entree dishes including shrimp they were slightly larger but not particularly well cooked, very tough, including that formal night so called lobster/seafood entree. No-one could figure out what half of the seafood was, some was very fishy tasting (I love fish...but this was like OLD fish) The scallops has an orange sack attached, that most felt should have been removed, but didn't taste too badly, some refused to eat them! All in all the dish wasn't popular at all. Best entrees we had were the various beef ones ( and we don't DO beef much at home)tho skimpy, was sufficient. And some of the Lamb, which I never do at home!

Although some of the portions were smaller or different, there was plenty on the menu and the waiters always offered to being more of anything ...

I don't care for anything else mixed in with my lobster. Classic lobster with drawn butter, please.

We always enjoyed the larger lobster tail with drawn butter on Celebrity and never ordered more than one. I think the fact that some cruisers pigged out on the lobster by ordering more than their fair share (including a "vacation planner" at Celebrity who admitted to always ordering 3-4 lobsters) have ruined it for the rest of us who showed more restraint.

I would prefer that Celebrity said "no" to extra orders and go back to the serving of the classic style and portion of several years ago.

And what was it replaced with?

And what was it replaced with?

Hi Spender !

I will try to describe it .... It's a small lobster tail, served with a large shrimp and large scallop. It was served with outstanding risotto. Overall, I'd have to say I liked Chef Roux's Lobster tail dish over the current version. I'd probably skip it next time.

The lobster seafood mix that has replaced the lobster tail on formal night - is a very small lobster tail (no bigger than a jumbo shrimp), scallops, and a large shrimp or two. No drawn butter - there was seasoning to it.

sorry Andy - we were posting at the same time.

Just off the Century of two weeks ago and there were only three medium sized shrimp in the MDR shrimp cocktail. My wife, who loves shrimp cocktail, commented that our previous cruise over the Christmas holidays on Carnival served shrimp cocktails with four large shrimp. Geez, is Carnival beating out Celebrity in the shrimp cocktail category? I hope Celebrity restores the portion size of the shrimp cocktail, at least to make my wife happy. Having some great shrimp at the start of the meal gets the dinner off to a good start.

Just off the Galaxy, and was the food terrible!!! They ran out of everything from shrimp to lemons to peanut butter on the 3rd day!!

They just kept saying "sorry all gone ...ships been sold!!" We had duck 3 days in a row, steaks that were like paper thin

Very bad service for the most part... cabin stewart took 5 days before finally bringing ice!! We had to search it out daily along with our towels for shore!

We were SO dissapointed all the way around..the entertainment was not good, 2 nights there was NO entertainment!!!

We really looked forward to this cruise and the only good thing was the ship and the islands.

They just kept saying "sorry all gone ...ships been sold!!" We had duck 3 days in a row, steaks that were like paper thin

Very bad service for the most part... cabin stewart took 5 days before finally bringing ice!! We had to search it out daily along with our towels for shore!

We were SO dissapointed all the way around..the entertainment was not good, 2 nights there was NO entertainment!!!

We really looked forward to this cruise and the only good thing was the ship and the islands.

Unless the Millennium is sold too, this wasn't the reason, this is the menu! Prime rib was less than1/2" thick, roast sirloin was sliced 1/8" and 2 slices. Watercress salad offered, served with Romaine, asked where was the Watercress, they didn't have ANY, not run out (we had early dining) "Medallions of Veal" looked like a tenderloin...3" across and 2" thick, unlike any true veal any had ever seen (too big a portion actually). All in all the meals were not what was described on menu.

On our recent Millennium Cruise' date=' I ordered it once...but they weren't even whole shrimp, but cut up rather small shrimp, in a bed of lettuce to try to make it look like more. I only ordered it because nothing on the appetizer list look good at all, and since I'm not that great a fan of shrimp, didn't bother ordering it again. In the several entree dishes including shrimp they were slightly larger but not particularly well cooked, very tough, including that formal night so called lobster/seafood entree. No-one could figure out what half of the seafood was, some was very fishy tasting (I love fish...but this was like OLD fish) The scallops has an orange sack attached, that most felt should have been removed, but didn't taste too badly, some refused to eat them! All in all the dish wasn't popular at all. Best entrees we had were the various beef ones ( and we don't DO beef much at home)tho skimpy, was sufficient. And some of the Lamb, which I never do at home![/quote']

We did the Millie in October to Tahiti and New Zealand, and I am so sorry to hear that the food still hasn't really improved. WE were so disappointed in the quality and preparation of the cuisine on this ship. After years of happily sailing X, I think it is a shame that they have diminished in quality to this extent. I could understand a glitch now and then = but we sailed 4 months ago, which certainly afforded them sufficient time to get their act together. Especially when we read many negative comments about it lately. Wonder if anyone is listening or caring.:eek:

About the scallops with the "orange sack" attached... this is how a good scallop should be served, and the orange "sack" are actually the "eggs" of the scallops, and considered as the most delicate tasting part. Well done Celebrity for serving that!

I don't understand some people's fascination with MDR cruise ship lobster... It is impossible to make 3000 great cold-water lobsters at once people! What you get are frozen warm-water examples (langouste). Anybody who has experience in eating lobster ashore and goes to restaurants regulary or knows anything about food knows that good lobster can only be found FRESH and made "à la minute".

Recently on the Solstice I had shrimp cocktail most nights, I believe there were 4 nice size shrimps, I didn't count them, but the portion looked and was adequate for an appetizer. I was happy with it and the food in general in the MDR was very good.

Cruise line menu's have changed a lot here is a link to a Oceania menu from 1983.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=537979&image=124048401&images=124048396,124048401&formats=0,0&format=0

I collect cruise menu's from days gone by, and the foods just don't seem as exotic as from the past, or even 5 years ago.:eek:

If you don't get enough of anything just politely request some more and they will be glad to accommodate you. If you tell them you'd like 10 of them every night they will bring them. Just make sure you eat them. Having seen how much food is wasted on these cruises, I think it's a good idea to cut down on the portions and for those with big appetites, just say the word and they'll take care of you.

Archived