Bringin Alcohol Onboard

MikeDMess

I agree, $22.00 for a bottle of vodka is steep. I was going to purchase it in San Juan the day before, thinking it would be less than here.

$22 for a liter of Stoli or Absolute which is what Princess offers is a good deal. What you'd pay or less than most states.

Scott

Yes, remember, these are liter prices, not 5ths, so you get an extra 1/3 of a bottle. It's a lot to drink, especially in your cabin. We like going to the bars, listen to the music and giggle at the drunks (sometimes ourselves:D ), and it would be wrong to BYOB.

BTW, Princess' stated policy is that you can bring wine & champagne on board, so if that's your drink of choice, you don't have to resort to subterfuge. We bring a couple of bottles, usually one red & one white. Since there's no way we'll each kill a liter of hard liquor on a short cruise, if we're on a 3-day, we put our preferred poison in shampoo bottles, the kind you buy empty at the drug store, & those go in with our toiletries. Really just enough for a sailaway cocktail each night.

You're allowed to bring wine or champagne aboard for special occasions. Here's how I bring my EXTRA bottles of wine: I wrap each bottle in stryofoam sheets. I put duct table on the bottle and styrofoam and then roll the bottle up and then tape. I bring about 14 bottles of wine. I place the bottles in a big bag that's on wheels. When we get to the hotel (we drive), we leave the wine in the car until the shuttle picks us up. When we get to the ship, we give the porter our luggage (which is locked). We've never had any trouble with breakage and our wine arrives safely at our cabin. We put our dirty clothes in the empty wine bag. Works for us.

Those prices are a bargain compared to what Celebrity charges. I wouldn't be complaining.

Celebrity..... $50 for beefeater, Absolute and Smirnoff and $55 for JD.

Now that includes 6 soda and a bag of nuts :( :( . Those prices are prices to complain about, not what Princess charges.

We just got off the Diamond Princess and we brought a case of wine and champagne on board in the boxes they come in from the store. We wheeled them on the ship in a rolling cart in clear sight. It says right on the back of your ticket that you may bring wine or champagne on board. If you want hard liquor it is pretty reasonable to buy it on board from room service.

Tracy

Mike,I just got off the princess golden. this is the secound cruise with princess. we have brought our own booze on both times. Just stick it in your carry on. It will go through the x ray machine at security on the ship and they will not say a word. in fact we got on in sanjuan and they had a liquer store right there when you board. the cashier told us they only take if it is packaged. Get this, he told me to stick the bottles in my carry on bag. so I did and no one said a word. Hey they want your business. We know lots of people who carry it on this way

Since I will be flying to San Juan there would really be no reason for me to take it out of checked luggage once I got there and put in carry on to board the ship. I'm sure we will all be fine. I am just looking forward to getting in that cabin and relaxing for a week.

Thanks

Mike :D

Hello,

I have a question for the Californians. Do they sell beer and wine in supermarkets in your state or do you have to go to a liquor store?

thanks,

Marcia

Our supermarkets have all the liquor, wine and beer you would ever want.. Come on down..

Thanks for the info on the California supermarkets! I'll be there in January, looking for someplace near LAX or San Pedro to do a bit of pre cruise shopping. We always carry on wine and beer, right thru security, no one has ever said anything.

Marcia

Is all of the liquor sold in 1 liter bottles? I'm looking at our cruise booklet and it has some listed as 1 liter and others not listing a size. I'm assuming that if size is not listed, it is 750ml.

I'm not sure, I only order Grey Goose and that comes in a liter bottle.

Scott

Not much of a hard liquor drinker, how about beer anyone have much luck bring that on? Then how would you get in cold?

Never sailed on Princess before, but on past cruises, have packed 2+ cases of beer in hard-sided CHECKED luggage.

We bring along a collapsible cooler on wheels (20 bucks, if that, at WalMart) filled with wine and champagne as a "carry on".

When we get to our cabin, we unload the wine, fill 'er up with beer and tip our steward 3 bucks a day (extra) to keep our beer iced down. No problem.

(Last cruise, on the Conquest, the ice machine room was directly across the hallway! Our steward kept the room unlocked for us....What fun!)

Don't get me wrong.... we spend PLENTY on board for cocktails, but it's nice to have our own. :p

hey Nanette,

It's Susie from the Olympia Voyager. I'm going on a Princess cruise too, the Dawn on Jan. 19 for 10 days southern Caribbean. Too bad we're not on the same ship. Funny how you meet up with Cruise Critic buddies on other forums. E-mail me sometime.

Susie in Kansas City

I pack my wine in my backpack that I carry on, and I pack my vodka in water bottles in my suitcase. I also put my beer in a soft cooler in my suitcase. That way, all you have to do is ask your room steward to bring on the ice. Once the beer is consumed, you can fold it up to make room for all of the junk you bring back. :D In my case, I will drink the beer I bring and replace it with Belkin from Belize. :p

Happy Packing :D

Hello,

I have a question for the Californians. Do they sell beer and wine in supermarkets in your state or do you have to go to a liquor store?

thanks,

Marcia

We sell beer, wine and hard alcohol in every grocery store, drug store, convenience store and so on. The prices are quite reasonable also. Enjoy!

Tracy

hey Nanette,

It's Susie from the Olympia Voyager. I'm going on a Princess cruise too, the Dawn on Jan. 19 for 10 days southern Caribbean. Too bad we're not on the same ship. Funny how you meet up with Cruise Critic buddies on other forums. E-mail me sometime.

Susie in Kansas City

How goes it, kiddo?

We're looking forward to our first Princess Cruise in Jan.... sounds lovely, doesn't it?

Here's some "cruise gossip" for you.... Diane and Jerry just got back from an 11 night CELEBRITY voyage....Ensenada to Honolulu. Can't wait to talk to them!

Have a fun cruise, honey... I'll talk to you later!

My DH only drinks absolute citron and last year on the Dawn they did not have citron available at any of the bars. We were on the Golden in November and assumed that they would not have citron so we bought 2 bottles at the pier for $9.95 each and put them in our carry-on luggage! We had no problem getting them on board!

Archived