QM2 speeding up the coast

Neilius

QM2 is certainly moving quickly up the Australian coast.

If you'd like to see a near to real-time location report of her voyage in our part of the world, check out this link:

http://aprs.fi/?call=gbqm&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600

The info is supplied by ham radio operators on the APRS network who report anti-collision transmissions from all ships in their vicinity.

If the web site asks you to log in, just type in any nickname you like

We'll lose the track shortly after she passes the northern tip of Moreton Island, but after that time you'll still be able to see her on my maps at:

http://www.shipwatcher.com/DisplayMap.aspx?i=25&l=0&g=-1

Her next stop is Yokohama. That's a lot of sea days!

Hi

I was wondering if you knew about what time would she would hit the gold coast or do you know what time she left sydney;)

APRS says she passed thru the heads at midnight last night.

She passed Port Macquarrie at midday today and was doing 27 knots at that time.

From Port Macquarrie to Tweed Heads is 190 Nautical miles. At 27 knots she'd get there in 7 hours, or by 5pm this afternoon.

From Tweed heads to the top of Moreton Island is about 75 Nautical Miles, which just under 3 hours, or just before 8pm tonight.

The interesting thing is that both Aurora and Royal Princess will be leaving the Port of Brisbane at this time, and Pacific Sun should be almost in the same region too, returning from Port Vila.

I'm guessing that all three ships should be able to see QM2. But Pacific Sun will have the best chance because QM2 will most likely be further east than normal as she's not stopping at any more Aussie ports and doesn't need to stay close to the coast.

There should be some great views of ships from the headland at Bullcock Beach Caloundra between 7.30pm and midnight tonight.

:eek:

QM2 is certainly moving quickly up the Australian coast.

Her next stop is Yokohama. That's a lot of sea days!

Thats why there were so many last minute specials on that cruise.

She passed Port Macquarrie at midday today and was doing 27 knots at that time.

Hope she doesn't get a speeding ticket.

Imagine that weight travelling at that speed.:eek:

Once she hits the Great Barrier Reef

(although lets hope she doesnt hit it)

she may be required to slow down a bit.

QM2 has a top speed of 30 knots, that is moving for a BIG liner. She does cruise at 27 knots, so she can make good time on her world voyages. On my 'to do list' is a trip on QM2.

Correct, she does not stop at many Ports, a lot of sea days. Through the barrier reef one would think she would have to reduce speed to 15 knots at least, reckon the reef pilot would ensure that.

Thanks for the info guys, great stuff.

Thank you

I will be sitting on my balcony at home waiting for it to pass by

thanks heaps for the info

I'm really sorry, but QM2 is going much faster than I realized.

She's already passed Tweed heads and is currently bout 20 miles off the coast of Surfers Paradise.

I've never seen a ship move so fast.

Neil, she must have been flying!! Andy called me this morning at about 8.30am as someone had called the local radio station to say she was passing Port Macquarie then, she was passing the Tacking Point lighthouse at Light house beach. I would have gone for a look see but I had an early morning appointment. Would have been a great sight though!!

Chez

xx

QM2 got from the heads in Sydney to Milne Bay Province, PNG in a tad over 50 hours. That's over 1,400 nautical miles.

By comparison, in about the same time, our local ships just manage to sail the 790 nautical miles between Brisbane and Noumea.

Archived