Legal snacks that can taken off the ship into ports

Familyforce6

I usually never comment on these thread, because I find it pointless.

People are going to do whatever they want...unless they are caught. Then they will just figure out a better way to do it.

I doubt anyone that breaks laws or rules is going to have an epiphany after reading something on a message board. It is good to point out the laws to people who are unaware, but many know and just plain dont care.

I usually never comment on these thread, because I find it pointless.

People are going to do whatever they want...unless they are caught. Then they will just figure out a better way to do it.

I doubt anyone that breaks laws or rules is going to have an epiphany after reading something on a message board. It is good to point out the laws to people who are unaware, but many know and just plain dont care.

And, that in a nutshell is the problem. :(

I think people forget that rules just get tightened as more ignore them. If this becomes a major problem for some countries, they could resort to searching everything taken off the ship and getting off in ports could take hours. As someone else said, in Cabo they already do that. Something to think about.

Kind of like when we were in school and someone(s) did something and the teacher would punish the whole class because the individual(s) wouldn't own up to it.

From what I understand the biggest issue is the fruit, which can carry harmful insects and bacteria. Honestly I would be more worried about bringing back fruit from Mexico, but what if you don't eat that banana and it picks something up and you bring it back on the ship?? These rules are to protect our country from bringing in new infectious diseases or creatures we don't already have....Prepackaged sealed food should be ok.

From what I understand the biggest issue is the fruit, which can carry harmful insects and bacteria. Honestly I would be more worried about bringing back fruit from Mexico, but what if you don't eat that banana and it picks something up and you bring it back on the ship?? These rules are to protect our country from bringing in new infectious diseases or creatures we don't already have....Prepackaged sealed food should be ok.

There are restrictions between some states in the US because there are infestations in some areas and not in others. That applies also to items coming into other countries. Bananas aren't grown in the US, they are grown in other countries, so bringing one into Mexico could introduce problems from another nation, not the US. Prepackaged foods are okay.

I don't know, I guess after reading this thread I was a little surprised at some folks attitudes about it. I guess they don't understand the problems that can be caused. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.....just remember back to those petrie dish experiments from High school science class :( Believe me I am not judging or professing to be perfect, I swear.

There are restrictions between some states in the US because there are infestations in some areas and not in others. That applies also to items coming into other countries. Bananas aren't grown in the US, they are grown in other countries, so bringing one into Mexico could introduce problems from another nation, not the US. Prepackaged foods are okay.

If EVERYONE chose the laws and rules to follow, we would have total chaos in the world. I guess Tom, you get to decide which ones are important, so please let us know the ones you think everyone should follow since you seem to think you are the authority.

I'll keep the rest to myself, thank you - as I certainly don't want to give others the GO AHEAD (since I am obviously influential... LOL)...

Running red lights will get you or someone else killed eventually. WOW. Can you say EGO?

I don't RUN them when any car is within sight - and I am talking about NON-busy, open areas... :rolleyes: Additionally, I stated it was a rare event - if you were sitting at a crossroads with NO other cars in sight, and your light was red for 2...3...4.. 5 minutes. Would you stay there until you RAN OUT OF GAS??? :rolleyes:

As I said before, I am just being upfront. And what I do DOES NOT IMPACT anyone else (I do, thank you, possess the necessary knowledge to know that).

EGO ??

1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

3. 1. An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.

... 2. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

You, no doubt, are using that word in reference to me as it is defined in 3.1 above. Though I feel it to be more 1.0 and 3.2. It is a fine line. And who is to judge?

Let he who is without blame cast the first stone... I think that is from an old story... :D

Tom

I don't know, I guess after reading this thread I was a little surprised at some folks attitudes about it. I guess they don't understand the problems that can be caused. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.....just remember back to those petrie dish experiments from High school science class :( Believe me I am not judging or professing to be perfect, I swear.

I enjoyed "Horton Hears A Who" - though I prefer the original version!

I am actually never surprised at the range of things I read on here.

I'm sure none of us have ever smuggled alcohol onto the ship - or even thought of trying to get it back onboard and not immediately turn it in at the appropriate table.

I have talked to enough CC'ers when onboard - to know that MANY people on here know what NOT to say on the boards... for fear of some coming down on them.

tkportersat - I am not directing anything negative towards you. Nor anyone else for that matter. I am just speaking MY truth, as that is the only one which I am responsible for. Others may judge me for MY behavior. We are, after all, only human...

Tom

When we got off a HAL ship, the Rotterdam in Santiago Chile at the end of a cruise we were told to bring no food. We lined up at customs. And along came the sniffer dogs with their handlers. I didn't see anybody caught and it didn't look like you would want to be caught.

When we got off a HAL ship, the Rotterdam in Santiago Chile at the end of a cruise we were told to bring no food. We lined up at customs. And along came the sniffer dogs with their handlers. I didn't see anybody caught and it didn't look like you would want to be caught.

I'll bet !! I would not want to have any issues with customs in foreign ports!

I know that US Customs can be pretty strict. Once we were getting off the ship and had a small grasshopper (fashioned from palm fronds) which one of the customs officers said had "red mites" (without even looking closely at it), and we "couldn't take it". We were OK with that, though interestingly enough a nearby female customs officer, who had seen the souvenir, came over to ask what port we picked it up at. After telling her, she looked at it closely and said - "we are not seeing any problems with mites from that port, you can take it with you". The first fellow did not have a problem with her overriding his decision - I think he was new.

A couple of times on the shorter cruises (3-4 nights) we have had nice arrangements of flowers in our cabin which still had some life left to them. They always look closely at them and inquire where we got them. To date, we have not been told to leave them behind. Though I know that it's always a possibility.

In regard to ports of call... in the interest of stemming the activity of (guilty here) taking processed foods such as sandwiches, chips, or brownies off the ship: I think that an occasional bag check - either by Carnival or the "security" at the port would go a long way to make people think twice. Often the threat of getting caught is enough to cause a great reduction in covert activity.

------------------

And for the record - I have never BLOWN THOUGH a red light - that WOULD be highly risky/stupid. When I mentioned that in a previous post - I am speaking of sitting at a light for a couple of cycles and it is STILL red... NO cars coming... That is no riskier than turning right on red or left from a one-way onto a one-way (both legal in FL). I don't take chances! I have a clean driving record - and it's not from being LUCKY, rather CAREFUL. I abhor reckless driving, FWIW!!!

Tom

I have talked to enough CC'ers when onboard - to know that MANY people on here know what NOT to say on the boards... for fear of some coming down on them.

LOL! I can only imagine:D Don't fear the cyber bullies.......in reality they are harmless;) If more people would stick up and not back down.......they eventually would be elminated:D

Back on topic......the Mexican Riviera ports search your bags when you get off in port.........that has been our experience.....

LOL! I can only imagine:D Don't fear the cyber bullies.......in reality they are harmless;) If more people would stick up and not back down.......they eventually would be elminated:D

Back on topic......the Mexican Riviera ports search your bags when you get off in port.........that has been our experience.....

Tom

There are signs stating what you can't take off the ship as you leave with a large TRASH CAN underneath it

Well nobody else has pointed this out so I will.....I have cruised only once and did not take any food off the ship, but would like to point out that I did not see a sign or trash can. I am not saying there was no sign or trash can, but it did not jump out at me, probably due to the mayhem on deck 0.

Was it a small sign, like the "no smoking" and "adults only" signs that we never saw? (sorry, the devil made me say it :p )

Hi! I just read the thread about what you shouldn't be taking off the ship and why...I understand all that. I was just wondering what everyone takes off the ship that is legal? I know somebody said small boxes of cereal, but what else? Things that don't have to be bought in the store on the ship? Having 4 kids with me it will come in very handy.:)

On the Elation the only thing stated we could not take from the ship was fruit. I took some cereal, yogurt and a muffin off the ship (Cabo, Ensenada) without incident. Someone in my party made a sandwich and took that. I do not like to eat in Mexico if I can avoid it so I took some food with me just in case.

They were selling water in several spots and were encouraging us to take that off the ship!

Jen in SoCal

:eek:

Jamie on the Splendor in South America writes on John Heald's blog today:

"Apparently on their way off the ship, a couple guests were fined for attempting to bring fresh fruit with them. They happened to disregard the distributed written materials, as well as Goose’s multiple announcements and the Chilean authorities chose to charge them a fine that could be anywhere between zero and a million dollars. My advice to you, do not bring any open food to a South American port of call! Dirk our naturalist informed me that he has been on ships in the past that were forced to stop debarkation because of these matters!" :eek:

I'd hate to be fined at the high end of that range, much less be responsible for passengers not being able to disembark!

blog shortcut:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/03/02/the-ugliest-brand-ambassadorin-the-world/#more-8303

[quote name='fllady61']Oh well, I have not seen it posted except for when entering the US after being on the ship.

Did not mean to upset you. so sue me if I am wrong. but I refuse to pay 2.00 for one banana in a forein port. And if you were not allowed to take anything off the ship, why do they sell water when exiting the ship?

don't tell me water is different issue either.

I don't eat in the ports. Why pay for food when the ship is full of free food? Plus we are not off the ship that long. I just sometimes need something in a hurry, and sometimes there is nothing there in a hurry. I did eat in a port once, and got sick. so I don't do it now.

That is my reasoning.

Again, I am sorry if I upset you, and I am sorry if I am doing something wrong. But I don't pay the price for a banana at 7-11 or Disney so why should I in a port of call?

I have my principles the same as you do. Hey in fact, I don't buy anything from 7-11 because I don't shop the place. Even a bottle of soda is too expensive.[/QUOTE]
Finally, a reasonable sensible answer. I agree with everything you say 100%. I refuse to eat anything in any islands, not due to price, but due to their mostly undesirable hygiene! Whatever I take off of the ships will be eaten in matter of hours, no time for flies or other insects to grab it!

[quote name='Kurbanfan']LOL! I can only imagine:D Don't fear the cyber bullies.......in reality they are harmless;) If more people would stick up and not back down.......they eventually would be elminated:D

Back on topic......the Mexican Riviera ports search your bags when you get off in port.........that has been our experience.....[/QUOTE]
This past October, I was in Acapulco, Ixtapa, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabos San Lucas and I, nor the rest of my party, were ever checked at any of these ports. In fact, nowhere in the world that I have cruise have they ever checked my back getting "off" the ship, or once we are off the ship by local customs agents! Always getting back on.

Disembarking San Diego in December I was followed by the AG dog. I had candied ginger and lemondrops in my bag.

California is very cautious about agriculture. In the 90's we were constantly being sprayed by Malathion. The "Powers That Be" had it sprayed from helicopters and planes over wide areas at a time. Miles at a time. Cars and outdoor furniture had to be covered up, animals brought in. All windows, doors, air conditioning and vents closed off from the outside world. A big pain in every way.

I still see fruit fly traps in my area. At times I cannot bring or accept fruit from relatives who live an hour away because a fruit fly has been found.

Having lived through this I wouldn't want to wish it on anyone else.

Please do not bring food off the ships.

[quote name='czechgal']:eek:

Jamie on the Splendor in South America writes on John Heald's blog today:
"Apparently on their way off the ship, a couple guests were fined for attempting to bring fresh fruit with them. They happened to disregard the distributed written materials, as well as Goose’s multiple announcements and the Chilean authorities chose to charge them a fine that could be anywhere between zero and a million dollars. My advice to you, do not bring any open food to a South American port of call! Dirk our naturalist informed me that he has been on ships in the past that were forced to stop debarkation because of these matters!" :eek:

[B][SIZE="3"]I'd hate to be fined at the high end of that range, much less be responsible for passengers not being able to disembark![/SIZE][/B]

blog shortcut:

[url]http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/03/02/the-ugliest-brand-ambassadorin-the-world/#more-8303[/url][/QUOTE]

That would be worse than being the last people dragging back on board - and the ship is already late for departure!! :eek:

Tom

At the risk of being flamed (again) for this, here are various laws regarding food brought in to other countries, I found these by searching google, they are pasted here for your reading pleasure/enlightenment:

[QUOTE]Customs -- [B]What You Can Bring Into the U.S.V.I. [/B]Every visitor more than 21 years of age may bring in, free of duty, the following: (1) 1 liter of wine or hard liquor; (2) 200 cigarettes, 100 cigars (but not from Cuba), or 3 pounds of smoking tobacco; and (3) $100 worth of gifts. These exemptions are offered to travelers who spend at least 72 hours in the United States and who have not claimed them within the preceding 6 months. [B]It is altogether forbidden to bring into the country foodstuffs (particularly fruit, cooked meats, and canned goods) and plants (vegetables, seeds, tropical plants, and the like).[/B] Foreign tourists may carry in or out up to $10,000 in U.S. or foreign currency with no formalities; larger sums must be declared to U.S. Customs on entering or leaving, which includes filing form CM 4790. For details regarding U.S. Customs and Border Protection, consult your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or U.S. Customs (tel. 202/927-1770; [URL="http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/"]www.customs.ustreas.gov[/URL]). [/QUOTE]

I think the US Virgin Islands is pretty clear above.

[QUOTE]
Bringing Food, Plants, and Animals into Mexico

National Health Services of Mexico (SENASICA) has guidelines on what is allowed, regulated and prohibited to bring across the border. The following is an overview of some of those items. Detailed information can be found on the [URL="http://148.243.71.63/?idioma=2"]SENASICA[/URL] website.
[B]Allowed Imports[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Smoking tobacco
[*]Leather products, except for endangered species like wild lamb, jaguar, black bear, etc.
[*]Honey
[*]Dogs and cats (a maximum of two per traveler) with health certificates and rabies vaccine records. Visit our "[URL="http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/pettravel.php"]Traveling with Pets in Mexico[/URL]" guide for more information.
[*]Roasted coffee, [B]dried prunes, packaged spices, dried herbs, preserved fruits and vegetables cooked or dried mushrooms and dried truffles. [/B]
[*][B]Dry cooked, packed and bottled foods [/B]
[*][B]From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled. [/B]
[/LIST][B]Regulated Imports[/B] - there are special requirements for these products
[LIST]
[*]Poultry and poultry products
[*]Wild plants and hunt trophies
[*]Rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, etc.
[*]Hide
[*][B]Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc. [/B]
[*][B]Plants, fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals, etc. [/B]
[*][B]Dairy products [/B]
[*][B]Bees and bees' products (except honey) [/B]
[*][B]Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen meat and meat products from quarantined countries[/B]
[*]Flours like corn meal, etc.
[*]Veterinary medications and biological products
[*]Agricultural chemicals and raw materials
[/LIST][B]Prohibited Imports [/B]
[LIST]
[*][B]Soil [/B]
[*][B]Bales of hay, natural straw or any straw decoration [/B]
[*][B]Homemade food items [/B]
[*][B]Meal of bone or meat[/B]
[/LIST][/QUOTE]
If you read the above closely, you will find out what exactly is prohibited in Mexico.

[QUOTE]Grand Cayman:
[B]Importing food into Cayman[/B]

Some discussions group encourage people to take their own pre-packed (sealed) food to Cayman in freezer bags or ice chests. The Tourist Board advise that visitors are allowed to bring meat into the islands, but you may be charged duty if the value is over US$35 per person, or the quantity exceeds what customs consider to a reasonable amount for personal consumption.[B] Meat should be preferably be packed and sealed as sold in supermarkets, and may have to be inspected by an official from the Department of Agriculture.
[/B]
[B][I][IMG]http://www.gotocayman.com/updated.gif[/IMG] The ban on the importation of US bone-in meats imposed in December 2003 following a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or 'mad-cow disease') has been lifted. Personal imports of meat up to 5kg for personal consumption will now be allowed providing the original packaging is intact and the packaging bears the USDA inspection legend. [/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Grand Cayman does not list anything for fruit but they are very strict when it comes to meat.

Now, I am posting this to dispel the scuttlebutt on this topic. These are the actual laws so you don't have to guess.

I am not trying to be judgmental of anyone but it is necessary to be aware of the LAWS. ;)

And for further edification, I personally have never smuggled alcohol onboard a ship, and have never tried to take alcohol purchased in port or onboard to my room, nor have I ever taken food off a ship although sealed bottled water is a different story. As a point of fact, I do run red lights when it has been red for an inordinate amount of time and there is NO OTHER TRAFFIC...anyone who has ridden an air-cooled motorcycle has probably had problems in turning lanes with weight sensors and has sat through 3 or 4 cycles before becoming frustrated and either running it or moving on to a light free U-turn; so like I said, I am not judging anyone, just trying to get the facts out there.

I agree BullDog......The laws aren't so strict for many of the islands as many might think. Fruits and veges are most often not allowed. Meats and breads usually are allowed.

Here are some guidelines for a few Caribbean islands:
[url]http://www.ed-hamilton.com/A/DESTINATIONS/1.details/import.html[/url]

I don't take it as you being negative towards me......I just think people don't understand how things can be carried back and forth from countries transporting fruit. When you hear on the news about new species of bugs found here you have to wonder how that occurred. Just a scary thought. I guess the same thing can happen if it jumps in your bag or on your person as well - not sure. Or lay eggs in your scalp like I saw on TV not too long ago......eek.

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']I enjoyed "Horton Hears A Who" - though I prefer the original version!

I am actually never surprised at the range of things I read on here.

I'm sure none of us have ever smuggled alcohol onto the ship - or even thought of trying to get it back onboard and not immediately turn it in at the appropriate table.

tkportersat - I am not directing anything negative towards you. Nor anyone else for that matter. I am just speaking MY truth, as that is the only one which I am responsible for. Others may judge me for MY behavior. We are, after all, only human...

Tom[/quote]

[quote name='alphakitty']I agree BullDog......The laws aren't so strict for many of the islands as many might think. Fruits and veges are most often not allowed. Meats and breads usually are allowed.

Here are some guidelines for a few Caribbean islands:
[URL]http://www.ed-hamilton.com/A/DESTINATIONS/1.details/import.html[/URL][/quote]

Thanks...see what happens when you just ask or research? You get the right answers! :D;)

I am not trying to sound too harsh. Perhaps some have not traveled much, and I realize some are on a limited budget possibly with kids, However:

Lots of "ugly American" and cheap attitudes here. I have eaten in forgein ports and Mexico many times with NO problems. If a place does not look clean I do not eat there, just like in the U.S.

As for just eating stufff on the ship, I find that as good as the ship food is it all starts to taste the same, and I enjoy local flavors.

That said I do bring some prepackaged food. And sometimes small bags of nuts incase it is a long time before lunch..

Tom in Long Beach

[quote name='Sirwinston']I am not trying to sound too harsh. Perhaps some have not traveled much, and I realize some are on a limited budget possibly with kids, However:

Lots of "ugly American" and cheap attitudes here. I have eaten in forgein ports and Mexico many times with NO problems. If a place does not look clean I do not eat there, just like in the U.S.

As for just eating stufff on the ship, I find that as good as the ship food is it all starts to taste the same, and I enjoy local flavors.

That said I do bring some prepackaged food. And sometimes small bags of nuts incase it is a long time before lunch..

Tom in Long Beach[/quote]

I had the same feeling too about some of the comments about food in foreign ports...part of exploring and adventure is sampling the local cuisine! :D

Archived