Loved Grandeur OTS

kicker

I just read your review on the Liberty Roll Call. It was a great review! I am sailing Grandeur in 2 weeks...my first RCI cruise after 15 CCL. I love CCL, just wanted to see if I am missing anything AND try something new!

I've been to Costa Maya before, but didn't leave the port area, any particular bar/restaurant in the town you recommend? Looking for a relaxing bar/beach/restaurant combination to hang out at for the day! I prefer to get out and spend my $$ with the locals!

Kicker-did you have Captain Rob when you were on Grandeur? I'm really worried now that he has changed ships. He's the only American Captain in the fleet and is so very funny. I'm hoping he's still on board!

The Granduer was our first RCCL experience and we fell in love with it.

We loved everything about it,

We have now sailed on the Freedom 2 times and are booked on the Oasis, but I think next time I would like to go back to the Granduer.

I remember i went to a longe one night and ordered a marg and the next evening the waitress not only remembered my name, she also remembered how I liked my drink.

The head waiter came by our table EVERY night,

He took our lobster out and alos detaied our shrimp.

The service was outstanding.

Kicker-did you have Captain Rob when you were on Grandeur? I'm really worried now that he has changed ships. He's the only American Captain in the fleet and is so very funny. I'm hoping he's still on board!

Captain Rob has been on vacation since mid February. He should be back in 7 to 10 weeks. Capt Rune Johnsen is currently in charge of GOS.

Can any of you tell me how the port is in Tampa with checking carry on luggage? I'm mainly wondering because I want to take some bottles on and have done so out of Miami and San juan with no problem. Just wondering if it will work in Tampa. Opinions PLEASE!

I just read your review on the Liberty Roll Call. It was a great review! I am sailing Grandeur in 2 weeks...my first RCI cruise after 15 CCL. I love CCL, just wanted to see if I am missing anything AND try something new!

I've been to Costa Maya before, but didn't leave the port area, any particular bar/restaurant in the town you recommend? Looking for a relaxing bar/beach/restaurant combination to hang out at for the day! I prefer to get out and spend my $$ with the locals!

Grab a taxi and head for MahaJual. I think that's how you spell it. It's a really nice local beach area with shops and bars all along the beach. I was there before it got hurricane damage so not sure how it is now. Check out the Ports of Call board for costa Maya.

They just can't sell the Grandeur:mad:!

I'm really looking forward to my April 25 Grandeur cruise. My first RCI cruise was on Splendour in 2005, and I thought that was a beautiful ship. After two recent cruises on Voyager-class ships, I can't wait to get back to a Vision-class ship where you can see what's outside the ship from inside!

Port of tampa tough many cruises only time our checked baggage was flaged had to do walk of shame and pick up bag after muster with hundred or so others. LOL

Was this checked or carryon luggage? Explain what happened :) Did they take it or just smack your hand...?

WOW, In Miami it was no problem and San Juan they almost encourage it with the liquor store right in the terminal!

Sailing in April on GOS, was hoping to take, Rum, Coke and water on in carry on.. now I don't know what to think!:rolleyes:

Getting back to a few questions on here - I see someone answered about the Captain; Tampa airport was very tough for carryons (4 oz rule); didn't notice any problems at port, but also didn't see or speak with anyone trying to get something on board.

Carlos & Charlie's seems like the #1 favorite bar, followed by Fat Tuesday & Senor Frogs. I met several people from our ship who were just coming back from C&C, carrying large souvenir cups and not walking very straight!

We did Nacchi Cocum - very quiet and restful the day we were there (and probably most days as they only allow a max 0f 100 people per day), but you have to pay the all inclusiive price. I know we passed several beach clubs on the way to NC - check out the Cozumel boards and I'm sure you'll find a good bar/beach option on there.

Getting back to a few questions on here - I see someone answered about the Captain; Tampa airport was very tough for carryons (4 oz rule); didn't notice any problems at port, but also didn't see or speak with anyone trying to get something on board.

Thanks KICKER~

I was actually talking about boarding the ship with something in the carryon. I live in Tampa but first time sailing from this port. I saw someone post that they had to go collect their bags after the muster drill because they had something in them and did the walk of shame... I am assuming that was a checked bag but I am not sure.

I would love to know if anyone has had success taking something on in a carry on!!

I'm trying to scan my compasses, but when it comes to computer I operate on a pre-school level.

kicker, that is why God invented children, so I too am struggling now that they've left home!

Sounds like a great cruise. (I posted over on the Liberty page.)

Was this checked or carryon luggage? Explain what happened :) Did they take it or just smack your hand...?

WOW, In Miami it was no problem and San Juan they almost encourage it with the liquor store right in the terminal!

Sailing in April on GOS, was hoping to take, Rum, Coke and water on in carry on.. now I don't know what to think!:rolleyes:

Can't answer for "nolimits" but can share our recent experiance with you. We took a 10 day on the Grandeur in Dec. Live here in the Tampa area so as usual, we wrapped a couple of bottles and put in our checked luggage. This bag didn't show up at our cabin so I made the long walk to get it. The room was filled with other bags and at least 8/10 ship's security folks. Opened my bag and they confiscated the bottles and taped a label to them with my cabin number on it. The last evening of our cruise as we were leaving the cabin for dinner, they delivered the bottles to us. This is the first time I've ever had to visit the naughty room and we always take a little something on board with us.

We took a 10 day on the Grandeur in Dec. Live here in the Tampa area so as usual, we wrapped a couple of bottles and put in our checked luggage. This bag didn't show up at our cabin so I made the long walk to get it. The room was filled with other bags and at least 8/10 ship's security folks. Opened my bag and they confiscated the bottles and taped a label to them with my cabin number on it. The last evening of our cruise as we were leaving the cabin for dinner, they delivered the bottles to us. This is the first time I've ever had to visit the naughty room and we always take a little something on board with us.

Oh MY! Think I might still flip a coin and hope I can smile real cute at the scanner person LOL. I have always taken it in a carryon and had no problems. Never tried in a checked bag because I always imagined mine at the bottom of those HUGE carts with 10 bags on top and POP goes the bottle. I will be sure to post if it was successful and what to try or not depending on what happens.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
Oh MY! Think I might still flip a coin and hope I can smile real cute at the scanner person LOL. I have always taken it in a carryon and had no problems. Never tried in a checked bag because I always imagined mine at the bottom of those HUGE carts with 10 bags on top and POP goes the bottle. I will be sure to post if it was successful and what to try or not depending on what happens.

Thanks again!

We would all like to know if you were successful? :D

She may not have all of the bells and whistles of the newer ships but she more than makes up for it in other ways and IMHO has the best crew in the fleet.

I agree! Grandeur is terrific. I was recently on the 10-night New Year's cruise and absolutely loved the ship. I was hesitant about booking a smaller ship but it turned out to be a great cruise :)

Archived