Viking vs. Uniworld

deepoz

I've narrowed my river cruise choice down to Viking's Grand European Tour or Uniworld's European Jewels, which are very very similar. I have NO experience with either company, this is our first river cruise, so someone please help me out! Does one company have better ships than the other, better food, better tour guides... Which would you prefer?! Thanks!:confused:

Our only experience with Viking was on the Elbe on the Clara Schumann. The food and tours were very good. The cabins are small, but recently refurbished.

We have travelled with Uniworld 6 times. They now serve complimentary wine at dinner. The food and tours are excellent.

You really need to study the itineraries and what is included. We are going Antwerp-Basel with Viking in April. We have never been to Antwerp and only spend one day in Amsterdam. Uniworld spends 3 days in Amsterdam--been there twice. Viking fit what we wanted. They still charge for wine, etc. at meals. Good luck trying to decide. Pat

Deepoz...... I've been on Uniworld twice and was totally thrilled with them.

I have not been on Viking and I think that their prices on some products are cheaper than Uniworld. All I can say is that from some opinions that I've heard, you get what you pay for.

If you find a trip which suits you for length, time of year, then check pricing, I know right now Viking has some great pricing including 2 for 1 rooms and flights too. they must really want the business. Uniworld has lots of discounts but no 2 for 1. We were able to get extra discounts booking with BCAA so check with your AAA offices. Every $250.00 helps. We are taking Uniworld European Jewels Amsterdam to Budapest Oct. 11/09. Booked prior to the Viking pricing coming out. Enjoy.

We have just booked our second Uniworld River Cruise.

We had sailed with them Provence/Burgandy with an extension in Paris.

It was a great time...and the ship was beautiful..the service was wonderful as well...

Hope this helps.

Tina

pacmom, tiggypoo, jollyroger2 and mrsdave - thanks for your great advice. After much reading and itinerary comparisons, we have decided to shorten the length of our 1st river experience to a 9 day trip instead of 16 and tack on some land days in Europe both ends. After almost booking the Viking deal (2 for 1 was REALLY appealing!) we decided on the Uniworld Enchanted Danube 9/19 Passau to Budapest on the new ship River Beatrice, which gave a small discount + AAA discount. Thanks again!

Hi Deepoz....... Great choice. I'm possibly doing that one sometime this Spring. Make sure you do the Prague extension. That's suppose to be amazing. If you do it through Uniworld, you'll get the , very hard to do independently, transfer from Prague to Passau or the other way around. They also use a beautiful hotel in Prague.

My husband & I are doing the Uniworld Budapest to Passau cruise August-September. We are spending a couple of pre-cruise days in Budapest & have added the Uniworld 3 day Prague extension post-cruise. We opted for the extension through Uniworld mainly due to transportation. Our travel agent looked at independent arrangements, and yes, hotel costs would have been lower in Prague, but transportation a bit of a tricky issue.

We are doing the Uniworld European Jewels Amsterdam to Budapest on Oct. 11 and after reading many reports on Trip Advisor chose to book the

Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal which is one of the Post Cruise hotels for Uniworld. We booked it direct with the resort for 3 nights and took the Executive option (which is highly recommended). The Uniworld cost was $499 US each for two nights - regular room. we are in at about $1125.00US for 3 nights. I know we don't have the transfers off the ship and the Uniworl Rep. but I think it was better to do it ourselves. Enjoy your Budapest to Passau cruise:)

Just a note on the transfer situation pre or post. In most destinations it's not really too much of an issue. If you can't take advantage of the cruiseline transfer there is always a cab or shuttle.

The city where it presents the issue, is the transfer to or from Prague to Passau.

There just isn't an easy way to do it.

I've investigated many different ways and aside from taking most of the day by train through Vienna, a private car at approx. $300. US the easiest way is the cruiseline transfer with the hotel pkg.

I think you have a good plan to spend a few days off the vessel at the beginning and/or end of the river cruise. It will give you time to just sit back and relax in a cafe or to take in a museum or other sights. Find a little locate cafe for lunch. Make sure the cafe or local resturant is out of the major toursit area.

We check out a McDonald's or Burger King (usually only 1) just to see what is different on the menu and how it operates. In some, you leave your empties on the table. What is an extra charge. What is the uniform. Also we have been using the metro's when available.

Both locations are good places to watch the locals.

Have a great trip.

MSEm

We are booked on our first river cruise in June - River Beatrice with Uniworld - "The Enchanting Danube" We are only doing a nine day trip to see how will like it compared to the ocean cruises we have taken. We know it is going to be different, we usually are booked in an inside or outside cabin, not suites, so this should be close the cabin type we have stayed in. Hope we are up to the walking that cruise has planned for us. It is paid for now, so it is just the waiting.

• 3 months later...
Our only experience with Viking was on the Elbe on the Clara Schumann. The food and tours were very good. The cabins are small, but recently refurbished.

We have travelled with Uniworld 6 times. They now serve complimentary wine at dinner. The food and tours are excellent.

You really need to study the itineraries and what is included. We are going Antwerp-Basel with Viking in April. We have never been to Antwerp and only spend one day in Amsterdam. Uniworld spends 3 days in Amsterdam--been there twice. Viking fit what we wanted. They still charge for wine, etc. at meals. Good luck trying to decide. Pat

We're going on the October 25, 2009 Antwerp to Basel. We'll arrive in Amsterdam on October 23 to see more of the sites than the time allowed on the cruise. Did you enjoy your cruise? Did you go on the optional Colmar tour? Any tips about the cruise and ship that you can share? What deck were you on, and did you like the room? We're on the middle deck. How was the food? And feel fee to share any other info with me! Thanks, Cathie.

• 3 weeks later...

When comparing the prices, be sure to compare what is included once on board. Uniworld includes wine, soft drinks and beer with dinner, specialty coffees (available 24 hours), bottled water in the cabins, bicycles on board, and airport transfers on 1st/last day of the cruise - all complimentary. Viking charges for all of those so the added costs can add up quickly. Just something else to consider....

I've narrowed my river cruise choice down to Viking's Grand European Tour or Uniworld's European Jewels, which are very very similar. I have NO experience with either company, this is our first river cruise, so someone please help me out! Does one company have better ships than the other, better food, better tour guides... Which would you prefer?! Thanks!:confused:

Archived