IBS and the preboarding questionaire

rubytue

Are the preboarding questionnaires that are meant to identify norovirus phrased in a way such that someone with IBS could have an attack but still honestly answer no. My father has suffered IBS for years, and traveling tends to make it act up. Does anyone recall the exact phrasing of the question? Does it include something like "abnormal"? My thinking is that if just asks about diarrhea, my father will be honest, say yes, and be denied boarding. But if it asks for "abnormal diarrhea", it would be easier to convince him to answer no. When I was on NCL, there were only two questions and there was nothing that would separate IBS from possible norovirus.

Please know I am terrified of the virus myself (I'm a bit of an emephobe) and would never suggest someone lie when sick. I'm just concerned that for someone whose baseline is diarrhea on a regular basis may be denied boarding.

I would bring a note from his doctor saying this is a chronic condition and has his own medications for treating it should an episode of it occur.

Why take a chance?

It is possible you could run into a snag. Not likely but be prepared to head off any trouble. IMO

I hadn't thought to contact the special needs department, since his only special need is the ability to get on the ship, but now that I think about it, its a really good idea.

What happens when someone checks a "yes" on the form? Does the ship's doctor or nurse interview you to give you a chance to explain unusual circumstances, and pass judgement on whether boarding will be denied?

And I guess that is the underlying question I have...

Do let us know what HAL's comments are concerning this problem.

I just emailed the special needs department. I included the question about seeing a doctor if you check yes. I will let you know what they say. And I'm really glad I thought about this now, and I could just see us getting to port, my father checking "yes" and then not knowing what happens or what to do :( Its their first cruise and I would hate for it to start on a bad note, and I think having to argue that its not norovirus without any background on what is going on would be a bad note.

What happens when someone checks a "yes" on the form? Does the ship's doctor or nurse interview you to give you a chance to explain unusual circumstances, and pass judgement on whether boarding will be denied?

Yes.

DW and I were both ill just prior to boarding the Rotterdam in Copenhagen in 2007. We answered the questions honestly and were directed to a waiting area to be questioned by a member of the ships medical staff. She was professional and thorough and while passed us as "good to go" it was clear to me that if she had any inkling that it was a Noro-related illness we would have been denied boarding.

The questions are NOT qualified with wording like "abnormal" or "serious".

I like the suggestion of a note from your doctor.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for that, CDRMark :) Its reassuring to know there will be someone to talk to and "yes" doesn't automatically mean denied boarding.

BTW, on NCL, they had you fill out the questionnaire in lobby area just before the screening. There were pens lying out for you to use. I was disturbed at the thought of using the same pens someone else had used before even being screened for norovirus :eek:

I would bring a note from his doctor saying this is a chronic condition and has his own medications for treating it should an episode of it occur.

Why take a chance?

It is possible you could run into a snag. Not likely but be prepared to head off any trouble. IMO

Most definitely. And, when turning in the questionaires if there seems to be any sort of issue, immediately ask that someone from the ship's medical team come to speak with you.

But like Judy says... get that letter from the doctor.

I would think that IBS is not in the same league as the norovirus. Norovirus is to do with people not washing their hands properly or not at all and then they spread germs to other people and then they get sick. I know with IBS (diarhea) this is more of a health condition and not a health risk. My mother has this too.

I can appreciate your father's honesty. HOWEVER, in this case he has a chronic condition which is not contagious so this would be the one time I'd say "keep it to yourself." A little white lie for something like this is a lot better than the heartache of dealing with someone who may not be versed in the issues of this particular illness.

... this would be the one time I'd say "keep it to yourself." A little white lie ...
And then when the cabin steward reports that someone in the cabin has repetitive diarrhea ... ??? IMO, it's better to tell the ship's Dr before boarding.

I, too, have suffered with IBS for a long time and finding a bathroom at the appropriate moment isn't always easy. I have found great help by following a new way of eating described at this web site: www.greattastenopain.com

It really works and I am doing much better. Hope it helps your dad although men are a little more stubborn (lol) in trying to get them to change eating habits.

How would the cabin steward know you had repetitive diarrhea? I could see if you were sick too...you know, too sick to leave your cabin, vomiting, muscle weakness, fever, etc, but that is not what IBS does. Still, my vote is to inform special services, bring a note from your physician. IBS/ulcerative colitis are classified under the ADA and you will not be kept off a cruise ship with proper documentation.

Yes.

DW and I were both ill just prior to boarding the Rotterdam in Copenhagen in 2007. We answered the questions honestly and were directed to a waiting area to be questioned by a member of the ships medical staff. She was professional and thorough and while passed us as "good to go" it was clear to me that if she had any inkling that it was a Noro-related illness we would have been denied boarding.

The questions are NOT qualified with wording like "abnormal" or "serious".

I like the suggestion of a note from your doctor.

Cheers

Mark

I had a similiar situation although it was 5 or more years ago. I had fluid on my ears but was also nauseous with it. I talked to someone on the medical staff and I was also deemed ok to board.

And then when the cabin steward reports that someone in the cabin has repetitive diarrhea ... ??? IMO, it's better to tell the ship's Dr before boarding.

How exactly would the cabin steward know this?

IBS is not an illness in that it makes you sick to your stomach etc. So unless the cabin steward is hanging out in the stateroom, he/she isn't going to have any way of knowing.

I am uncertain which cruise line's question spoke of diarrhea that began in the past few days. This allows for one to honestly answer "no" to the question.

It may be very helpful if someone were able to get HAL's questionnaire so as to be prepared with the appropriate answer.

Fran

I would counsel the OP to ask his Dad to lie on the pre-boarding questionnaire. I feel that it is extremely unfortunate that I have to give that counsel, and entirely HAL's fault. Here is my story, posted in October 2007:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11920747&postcount=41

It's hard to deal with corporate idiots without stooping to their level.

Marc

I would counsel the OP to ask his Dad to lie on the pre-boarding questionnaire. I feel that it is extremely unfortunate that I have to give that counsel, and entirely HAL's fault. Here is my story, posted in October 2007:

Marc

Thanks for posting your experience, Mark. Maybe that will stop people from continuing to recommend that the OP's father answer yes to the questions on HAL's form and then have to depend on a member of the ship's medical staff to act in a rational way.

The OP's father's IBS is none of HAL's business and does not need to be reported for any reason whatsoever. I, myself, suffered with ulcerative colitis for 15 years before having a total colectomy a couple of years ago. There is no way in the world that I would answer 'yes' to any of those questions and then have to discuss my medical history in the embarkation terminal and then hope that they still let me board. The father should do what I have done for all these years: JUST SAY NO!

Customs can be boring too...

Like... Do you have any food? yes or no? What type? OK.. Go through...

Annoying, but necessary...

Please don't encourage people to make misleading statements on these sort of declarations... The results of gastro intestinal related illness ruins many people's holiday/vacations. If there is a risk, it needs to be identified. If there is none, go on your merry way and have a wonderful cruise...

:D:D:D

Please don't encourage people to make misleading statements on these sort of declarations... The results of gastro intestinal related illness ruins many people's holiday/vacations. If there is a risk, it needs to be identified. If there is none, go on your merry way and have a wonderful cruise...

:D:D:D

Did you not read Marc's experience?? Why risk not being able to board the ship due to the imcompetence of ship personnel? HAL is not interested in whether someone has IBS or IBD, and there is absolutely no reason - - - NONE AT ALL - - - to even bring this up and make it an issue for them.

Marc

Thanks for the story. That is the exact situation I am trying to avoid *sigh*

I tried to talk to him about it last night, but its a bit of a stubborn old man thing, he hardly admitted he had problems. So I will have to talk to my step-mom about it. Then I tried to bring up formal nights, and that didn't go well either (he retired from suits 15 years ago). So we just talked about fishing and all was good :D

Archived