Question re: luggage BA to Ushuaia

pacmom

Next Jan., we will be travelling from BA to Ushuaia. How strict are they about luggage weight and carry-on luggage? We will get in the day befor our flight. How early in the morning are those flights. Ours is a charter by Silversea. Thanks in advance for any help provided. Pat

Hi Pat

We were allowed 2 pieces of check-in luggage and one piece of carry on luggage. Can't remember what the weight restriction was for the carry on but nobody was checking and we had average sized rucksacks. The times of the flights vary I think, but you leave from the domestic airport which is not very far from the city centre. We stayed in the Marriott and found it to be very good and well located.

Hope that helps.

Ros

Next Jan., we will be travelling from BA to Ushuaia. How strict are they about luggage weight and carry-on luggage? We will get in the day befor our flight. How early in the morning are those flights. Ours is a charter by Silversea. Thanks in advance for any help provided. Pat

If you have a chartered aircraft, you should be ok on luggage surcharge. If I was doing this trip again, I would prefer a charter flight situation. If you are flying on scheduled service...be prepared to pay.

We just returned the other day, and they were checking 'everything'.... and not pleasant about it (on LAN). In Buenos Aires, they 'gave us a break', but we got hit hard coming home. Felt like we were being held hostage. But we did take more luggage than we needed.

As of today, the limits are as follows:

Aerolineas Argentinas: 33 lbs checked, 11 pounds carry-on

LAN: 44 pounds checked, 17 pounds carry-on.

If you do fly 'scheduled', have a conversion chart from kilos to pounds...etc.

They also just raised the departure tax from Ushuaia from 13 pesos to 25 pesos per person.

Dave

Forgot to mention, the departure tax from BA just went up on 3/1 to $29 USD (up $11).

They are also talking about a reciprocity fee (arrival tax) of around $200 USD, but have yet to implement it.

Dave

Piepkorn,

Thanks for the info. We will be traveling on a chartered flight with Silversea. All those fees should be included. We even paid for the trip from and to BA in our cruise fee.. We also only take one suitcase each, cross packing in each. We have never flown out of Argentina--took a cruise from BA to Santiago--had to pay a departure tax there. Would love to hear about your trip. Pat

Piepkorn,

Thanks for the info. We will be traveling on a chartered flight with Silversea. All those fees should be included. We even paid for the trip from and to BA in our cruise fee.. We also only take one suitcase each, cross packing in each. We have never flown out of Argentina--took a cruise from BA to Santiago--had to pay a departure tax there. Would love to hear about your trip. Pat

We did the small ship expedition trip on Polar Pioneer (Aurora Expeditions), and it was more intense than I could have ever anticipated. Demographics was about 90% Australian, with just a handful of Americans, only 53 passengers, with 2 to 3 zodiac landings per day, was very energy intensive. With the exception of the initial Drake Passage crossing - about 10 meter waves, the weather and seas were pretty nice most of the time. The return passage of Drake was smooth as glass.

We have been home for a few days, and are still totally wiped out. All in all, much more was seen than we could have in a 'larger vessel' voyage. I looked up your trip, and your accommodations look really nice. Having 132 passengers could potentially limit your on-land time - would be the only drawback. Our expedition leader was Howard Whelan.

The link below is a video of compilation of all the passengers 3 favorite photos that I stored here: http://www.quest4penguins.com/images/slideshow.wmv

It is a large file, but reflects the voyage very uniquely.

Dave

I think they sail with 100 or less. The journals on the Silversea site talk about 2 landings a day. That would be wonderful--maybe a nap in between:). This trip will mean I have been on all 7 continents and include a trip above the Artic circle this summer. Thanks again for your help. Pat

They are also talking about a reciprocity fee (arrival tax) of around $200 USD, but have yet to implement it.

if this ends up happening, could someone post? it'd be a tax regardless of where you fly in from, right?

• 3 months later...

We were allowed 2 pieces of check-in luggage and one piece of carry on luggage. Can't remember what the weight restriction was for the carry on but nobody was checking and we had average sized rucksacks.

Hope that helps.

Ros

Was this on Aerolineas Argentina or LAN Argentina?

Remember --

It will be hot in BA; but, not in Ushuaia.

I packed my coat into my checked luggage.

Was a mistake.

From Ushuaia to BA, you will land in the Domestic Terminal.

Grab a luggage cart to get to the International Terminal.

Fairly long walk.

Went to Antarctica, on the Marco Polo, in Jan. 06.

Great cruise.

We are spoiled rotten here in 'Oz. Our aircraft are clean and tidy ,not too old , and they almost always fly when they say they will.

We will take the ( compulsory) Silversea charter flight to Ushuaia.

I assume that with light loading they will not be too picky on weights.

We throw away the return charter fare and make our own way back Ushuaia > Calafate> AEP.

NOTE >>> Almost all domestic flights fly from AEP .. not EZE the main International Airport.

Anecdotal information tells me :

(a) A lot of folks are slack and unaccountable in that part of the world. A tourist complaining in English about whatever will likely be met with a mute lack of understanding /interest. Caveat Emptor is trumps down there.

(b) One could be weighed and charged to the gram for a flight that might not even depart.. OR .. one might also carry on a bathtub put it in an overhead locker with nobody giving a second look .

I am advised strongly not to structure tight schedules as flights can be very unreliable.

AE fly an MD80 on the Ushuaia EZE route mostly via Calafate.

They have many more flights per day , improving the chances of flying on a particular day , but these are old and very well used aircraft.

LAN fly less often , charge twice the price , with modern jets , and are more reliable.. ( not really reliable .. just better than AE ).

Luggage weight isn't a huge issue .. the rates are clearly published in pesos on both websites , and , in the scheme of things not terribly expensive.

We will be taking some calculated gambles with our return flights.. the adventure of travel. :D

We will take the ( compulsory) Silversea charter flight to Ushuaia.

I assume that with light loading they will not be too picky on weights.

We throw away the return charter fare and make our own way back Ushuaia > Calafate> AEP.

NOTE >>> Almost all domestic flights fly from AEP .. not EZE the main International Airport.

AE fly an MD80 on the Ushuaia EZE route mostly via Calafate.

They have many more flights per day , improving the chances of flying on a particular day , but these are old and very well used aircraft.

LAN fly less often , charge twice the price , with modern jets , and are more reliable.. ( not really reliable .. just better than AE ).

:D

Thanks for the laugh.

I note you're throwing away the return part of your charter fare with Silversea. Is that because you plan some land travel after Ushuaia?

Remember --

It will be hot in BA; but, not in Ushuaia.

I packed my coat into my checked luggage. Was a mistake.

From Ushuaia to BA, you will land in the Domestic Terminal.

Grab a luggage cart to get to the International Terminal. Fairly long walk.

Went to Antarctica, on the Marco Polo, in Jan. 06. Great cruise.

Thanks for that handy information.

Is the Marco Polo 06 the same Marco Polo now cruising to Antarctica?

Luggage weight isn't a huge issue .. the rates are clearly published in pesos on both websites , and , in the scheme of things not terribly expensive.

:D

We booked AA to for jan. Flying from AEP to USH, but returning USH to EZE 6 hours before our ongoing return flight to US.

Lan flight was at 5 am!

yes, we will pay excess baggage. But we got a $202 RT fare + tax, so what the heck :D

The Marco Polo, only ship owned by Orient Lines, to my knowledge is being dismantled in India.

I am not aware of another Marco Polo.

Transocean Tours - Marco Polo - Antarctica - the Ice Kingdom departing 20.12.09.

Looks like someone bought the name, not the ship.

Transocean Tours - Marco Polo - Antarctica - the Ice Kingdom departing 20.12.09.

Looks like someone bought the name, not the ship.

That is the Marco Polo.

Info on the Web is incorrect.

Orient only had one ship -- The Marco Polo;

they went out-of-business.

Received a "flier" from Orient some time back.

When I checked the Site, it wasn't available.

Thank you for the info.

Really liked the Marco Polo.

Marco Polo was bought by Transocean Tours a German based company from Orient Lines. She is the one and same Marco Polo with decks renamed to suit Antarctic explorers. I am booked on the 20 Dec Ice Kingdom trip this year! Marco Polo cruises the Northern Hemisphere in their summer and then the Southern Hemisphere in ours . I have been told there are different crew again from the ones that people complained about when Transocean first took over.

Archived