Princess Crown class ships-Balcony warning

deb7073

Princess Crown class ships - Just a warning if you want your privacy.

Be careful where you book your mini suite cabin on the Princess Crown class ships. (Ruby, Emerald and Crown)

I just found out that all cabins on the dolphin deck have FULL balcony views from the deck above. And I do mean the ENTIRE balcony can be seen from above.

We immediately tried changing to another deck but all the ms are sold out. And at this point, we'd have to pay more to get a standard cabin with a balcony.

I know this is a stupid question, but why would any ship in this day and age have FULL balcony views from anywhere on the ship? Seems the more we pay, the less privacy we have. I thought we had done our research, but apparently not well enough.

We won't be making that mistake again. And to think that I just changed cabins on the Solstice from the aft (sunset view) because of a partial view of the balcony.

If privacy is a priority for you, do your research better than we did!

I'm sorry you learned later rather than before booking. The balcony situation, fully uncovered, fully covered and half and half has been well documented here on CC. Many people do want the fully uncovered ones as they want full access to the sun while other people, like yourself, would rather have the privacy. Several people who have had the uncovered minis have said privacy didn't turn out to be an issue. Guess it depends on how many above you spend all their time looking down.

I should have known to look here first. I've learned my lesson, for sure.

I never thought about the full sun issue. Some people would indeed want it, but unfortunately, that's another major issue for me. The dreaded sun.

This just keeps getting better. :)

I'll be rechecking periodically with Princess for a possible cabin change.

Thanks so much for your input.

Princess Crown class ships - Just a warning if you want your privacy.

Be careful where you book your mini suite cabin on the Princess Crown class ships. (Ruby, Emerald and Crown)

I just found out that all cabins on the dolphin deck have FULL balcony views from the deck above. And I do mean the ENTIRE balcony can be seen from above.

We immediately tried changing to another deck but all the ms are sold out. And at this point, we'd have to pay more to get a standard cabin with a balcony.

I know this is a stupid question, but why would any ship in this day and age have FULL balcony views from anywhere on the ship? Seems the more we pay, the less privacy we have. I thought we had done our research, but apparently not well enough.

We won't be making that mistake again. And to think that I just changed cabins on the Solstice from the aft (sunset view) because of a partial view of the balcony.

Uncovered: Looking down from deck

2541979060101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Partially covered top portion - Caribe Deck

2581121000101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

FYI, this is the same on all of the Grand class ships. Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire and Caribbean have the tiered balconies with the open Dolphin deck as well as those ships listed by the OP. Most of us know this already, but just adding to the OP's info for those who don't.

I have had quite a few of those mini's with a uncovered balcony and frankly they do not bother me at all. I look back up, the people are looking down, we wave and then we just get on with our lives. As everyone said it has been well documented that the Dolphin deck on the Grand Class ships have uncovered mini's.

Marilyn

I also am sorry you weren't aware of this and it is so important to you. Add us to the list of cruisers who love the mini suite, open balcony and all. The extra sitting area and larger bathroom with tub make a huge difference for us, we find these cabins much preferable over the regular balcony cabins. And, I have to add that the vast majority of the balconies are not all that private --- cruisers from below can easily look up and see you, not to mention the bridge is always scanning the balconies and there are cameras on the sides of the ship in case of the unfortunate occurrence of someone going overboard. When we have been on dolphin deck, we haven't been bothered by other cruisers, most of the time the balconies are fairly empty except for sailaway. I hope you enjoy your cruise, whatever cabin you end up in!

We like caribe deck because the balcony is half sun and half covered. This works for sunloving me, and sun avoiding dh. It is also nice at night to sit outside in a nightgown reading and not worrying about being seen. If you like your privacy caribe deck is the way to go.

We like caribe deck because the balcony is half sun and half covered. This works for sunloving me, and sun avoiding dh. It is also nice at night to sit outside in a nightgown reading and not worrying about being seen. If you like your privacy caribe deck is the way to go.

I just have to add that when I was out in our dolphin balcony, I could see every part of the caribe baclonies right above us, so it's not totally private. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think that people should know this in case they're doing something they would NOT want seen!!

We were on Caribe deck on the Emerald. I can honestly say the only time we stood at the rail (and you would have to, to look over the open balconies below) was when coming into port. We were looking at the view and not the balconies below. I wouldn't worry at all about an uncovered balcony.

We love the minis on Dolphin deck. We see only water when we look out from the balcony, not other balconies below us.

As for sun and shade, part of the day your balcony is shaded and part of the day it is sunny.

No balcony on the ship is completely private. As another poster noted, there are cameras all over the ship for security purposes and you can look up and behind you from the dolphin deck and see those above.

Just behave;) and you'll have nothing to worry about.:D Plus you'll have a bigger bathroom and a sitting area.

Agree with the point earlier posters - it you're in your nightie enjoying your morning coffee it's likely that those looking down (and who you can see just as clearly when you look up) are wearing the same thing. We always have the same experience on our carib balcony - we spend most of our time sitting at the rail so we are fully exposed to those above us as well. We're all there sharing and enjoying the same experiences - no problem! :D

That's why I alway check here before booking my cabin. I can never rememeber the naked/covered balconies so I always ask here first. That way I always get my totally covered balcony.

I agree with Mom 33. Had a dolphin mini in December for the first time. I loved being able to look out to see and not see balconies below me. It really felt like you were just hanging off the ship - just blue ocean in front of you. I liked it some much I booked one again for Nov 09. The folks on the Caribe deck above me were on their balcony quite a bit but it never really bothered me. I think they were mostly likely not that interested in what I was doing but I can see wher it might bother some

The majority of the Princess ships their mini suites are on Dolphin Deck and not covered. Something you learn on the line. We have fotunately discovered a few on Emerald deck. Not so much for privacy, but I can not deal with direct sun light for any period of time.

I just have to add that when I was out in our dolphin balcony, I could see every part of the caribe baclonies right above us, so it's not totally private. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think that people should know this in case they're doing something they would NOT want seen!!

You must be either 6'8 standing at the edge of the railing or standing on a chair because I am around 6 foot tall and have been in a mini suite 5 times and a caribe balcony 5 times and there is NO way some one can see you if you sitting under the over hang on caribe balcony.

Remember the caribe balcony is around 3 foot deeper than the mini suite balcony and its set back from the mini balcony.

FYI, this is the same on all of the Grand class ships. Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire and Caribbean have the tiered balconies with the open Dolphin deck as well as those ships listed by the OP. Most of us know this already, but just adding to the OP's info for those who don't.

We are on the Golden in an aft balcony on Caribe deck... in the pictures of the stern of the ship the decks don't look tiered at all and the balconies look shaded. Am I not seeing things correctly?

We like the balconies. You can't ever beat the Caribe balconies, but after that the dolphin deck is our favorite balcony. We had a suite in the aft with a fully covered balcony and I didn't care for that at all. I love being able to be in the sun and love being able to look down directly to the water.

Prefer my covered mini suite balcony on Emerald Deck!

The majority of the Princess ships their mini suites are on Dolphin Deck and not covered. Something you learn on the line. We have fotunately discovered a few on Emerald deck. Not so much for privacy, but I can not deal with direct sun light for any period of time.
Another vote for the Emerald deck "AD" mini-suites as I avoid the sun whenever possible. When you get to my age, you become very sorry you lay out in the sun to get a tan when you were younger.

We like the balconies. You can't ever beat the Caribe balconies, but after that the dolphin deck is our favorite balcony. We had a suite in the aft with a fully covered balcony and I didn't care for that at all. I love being able to be in the sun and love being able to look down directly to the water.

This is a Hawaii cruise so I am guessing we will have morning sun on the way over and afternoon on the way back.

You must be either 6'8 standing at the edge of the railing or standing on a chair because I am around 6 foot tall and have been in a mini suite 5 times and a caribe balcony 5 times and there is NO way some one can see you if you sitting under the over hang on caribe balcony.

Remember the caribe balcony is around 3 foot deeper than the mini suite balcony and its set back from the mini balcony.

maybe a periscope?

Archived