Just off of Century today (2/28) What a great ship

brenderlou

I was on the same 23 Feb 09 sailing and was pleased (inside cabin 1131). A few comments:

* shower leaked into the bathroom floor badly. it looks like the shower drain and the floor drain are connected, so if the pipe is clogged the shower will drain into the floor rather than form a pool in the shower. i meant to report it to maintenance but didn't bother since it was only 5 nights (we just threw towels in the floor to sop it up... thank goodness for twice daily housekeeping!)

* there were a few squeaks and rattles in the cabin in rougher seas which I couldn't diagnose. the bottles in the mini-bar may bang against each other (need to rearrange) and the hangers will rattle against each other if there's nothing on them (beware of last night when luggage is gone!)

* the teak around the pool area was stained or treated at departure, but the pool was opened before the stuff had dried.... so your hands/feet/clothes got a little sticky.

* deck 12 (the upper pool deck) is carpeted... which is weird for an outdoor deck. it didn't rain on our cruise, but if it did rain it could be nasty

* entree dinner portions are pretty small, so if you're hungry don't hesitate to order two entrees (or order an extra entree to split with your tablemate). but if you're in the late seating you can also get a snack at the sushi bar after 5 pm. sushi was better than expected, but not "real sushi" by any means. be sure to get the miso & seaweed soup.

* dress for formal night was mostly compliant, but i didn't see anyone get turned away at the door. (if i went on a 5 night sailing again i would NOT bring a suit, just a dark dress shirt and tie). friends traveling with me did not know about formal night and rented a tux for $85 each and said the tux was itchy. also, the daily program said there was a second formal night on the first day at sea, but they later made an announcement correcting that (some people didn't get the message).

* the first day at sea had brunch in the MDR from 10 am to 1 pm instead of breakfast & lunch... they said it was something new they were trying. i liked it. the MDR is very pretty during the day with the big window in back. (2nd day at sea was traditional breakfast & lunch seating)

* on arrival day breakfast was served from 6-8 am in MDR and 6-8:30 am in buffet.... i found those hours surprisingly generous.

* the staff is a mixed bunch from all over the world, most of them are nice and helpful but i didn't get the "eager to please" feeling i got on HAL (other than the stateroom attendant, he was great).

Our shower worked perfectly and I have long curly hair that is always clogging up our home shower :p We did have a clogged shower drain on a previous cruise and called right away to get the issue resolved. Why have to bother with that when they will gladly correct the situation?

We heard an occasional noise when the seas got a little rough (normal sounds we have heard on other cruises) but never heard the bottles in the fridge or the empty hangers....our cabin was mid ship so less motion maybe????

Didn't sit by the pool on embarkation day but did sit on the teak seating that was around the deck on day 2 with no problems of staining/stickiness. It's normal for the ship to always be undergoing maintence.

We found entree portions in the MDR generous compared to our previous Royal Caribbean cruises. We enjoyed the sushi. Was it the same quality that we get at our favorite sushi restaurant...no. But for a cruise ship, very adequate.

Wish I had gone to the brunch but since it didn't start until 10:00, wanted to get to the pool instead. Just had breakfast at the Island Cafe instead.

Formal night guest dress was the same on our previous cruises. Some in tux/gown, some in dress coat/tie-cocktail dress, etc.....we didn't see anyone "inappropriately dressed" but if we did we wouldn't have cared. Doesn't change our cruise experience.

I think deck 12 was "carpeted" because it is the jogging track so if it gets wet, there is traction for those walking/jogging. I was on deck 12 and really didn't even notice the difference.

We thought the staff was exceptional. Walking down the hallway from our cabin to the elevator, we were always greeting by all the cabin attendants. We asked for a MDR table change and got it. We also requested other small things re: our cabin and was accomodated promptly.

We were Panorama Deck in cabin 8103 which is mid ship. No complaints:D

Who was your cabin attendant?:)

I will be about 6 cabins down from yours. Wonder if I will have

the same person:)

Who was your cabin attendant?:)

I will be about 6 cabins down from yours. Wonder if I will have

the same person:)

Our cabin attendant was Norma. What was your cabin #? We must have past each other. I have curly hair, hubby is bald and our daughter is Asian (Emily) w/ a bright pink leg cast......ring a bell????

Our cabin attendant was Norma. What was your cabin #? We must have past each other. I have curly hair, hubby is bald and our daughter is Asian (Emily) w/ a bright pink leg cast......ring a bell????

No,:) I meant I am sailing next month;):D so was just

wondering if I will have your attendant.

I will be in 8125..just down the hall from 8103.

I read another review where the poster didn't seem too

pleased with her.

Sounds like you were happy though:)

No,:) I meant I am sailing next month;):D so was just

wondering if I will have your attendant.

I will be in 8125..just down the hall from 8103.

I read another review where the poster didn't seem too

pleased with her.

Sounds like you were happy though:)

Actually the only time we saw Norma was on the first day. Our cabin was made up and clean promptly so we didn't care if we saw our cabin attendant alot.

When we did have an issue (wrong kids club age group program in our cabin for next day activities), we called guest relations and they had the correct one delivered right away.

We always had ice in the ice bucket (for dh's stowed away vodka) and cold water in the water canister. Not much more we could ask for.

If you have any ?'s re: cabin steward please post and I'll be happy to answer. If you don't see your cabin steward, you can always ask one close by and they will relay the message.

Partner and I were on the same cruise...and we both had a great time...ate in MDR from mon to thur...with Muranos on Friday since it was his 55 Bday. Last 2 cruises were on Royal...but I think I have been won back over to Celebrity again.

Archived