no more onboard credit for diamond members???

Hi All, Just off of Liberty of the Seas, beautiful ship. We booked our next cruise for Oasis Feb. 20, 2010 onboard. We were doing the pricing and we had to make a choice between our Diamond discount and onboard credit. We did the Diamond for it was more. Unfortunately I priced this cruise a few weeks before boarding and it was $200 cheaper. I would have booked it then had I known. I guess there is no reason now for Diamond members to book onboard. I wrote to Royal Caribbean tis morning and am waiting their response, I was hoping that this was a mistake. Anyone else taken sby surprise by this?

Cina54

Anyone else taken sby surprise by this?

Cina54

No because we have been talking about it here for months. :(

You're right, I couldn't figure out a reason to book onboard either. And I told the LA on Indy that in person last month. Then I came back and booked online myself after I had a chance to find the cheaper prices.

Hi All, Just off of Liberty of the Seas, beautiful ship. We booked our next cruise for Oasis Feb. 20, 2010 onboard. We were doing the pricing and we had to make a choice between our Diamond discount and onboard credit. We did the Diamond for it was more. Unfortunately I priced this cruise a few weeks before boarding and it was $200 cheaper. I would have booked it then had I known. I guess there is no reason now for Diamond members to book onboard. I wrote to Royal Caribbean tis morning and am waiting their response, I was hoping that this was a mistake. Anyone else taken sby surprise by this?

Cina54

Not really. Apparently this went into effect Jan 1st (no more combining benefits, discounts, whatever you want to call them). This is my argument that there is no longer any incentive to book a NC or even an actual booking while on board (if you are platinum or diamond) unless you are in an inside or OV room. You also cannot use a C&A discount coupon should one apply to your sailing date. If you're a stockholder you do not qualify for the OBC either.

Curious as to how much future business RCI will lose (pre booking/planning) as well as what the additional cost in marketing to keep customers (might as well look to other lines if all other things are equal) will be.

I'll say it again:

C&A Coupon (Marketing tool available to anyone who is a C&A member after their first sailing used help bookings for certain sailing dates) = Benefit as a repeat customer

Platinum & Diamond Balcony Discount = Benefit of being a repeat customer (x number of sailing credits)

RCI Stock OBC = Benefit of being a stockholder

RCI Visa OBC or Reduced/Free Cruise = Benefit of being a BANK of AMERICA customer

Next Cruise/FCC OBC = Reward for booking a cruise while on board

Except for the C&A Coupon and Balcony Discount, all other ”perks” should be combinable with any/all of the other programs because each is a “perk” in their own right. Regarding the C&A Coupon and Balcony discount, if they don’t want to combine those then give the large amount as the discount and that’s that.

It sucks. But with the economy the way it is, and RC having trouble financing Oasis, I think it is a small price to pay for now. Rumor is that this is only a temporary change until the economy turns around. If this is what is necessary to keep RC alive, then I have no problem with it.

You can still cash in Visa points and use as an OBC or $$ off a cruise or free cruise because this is "your" money.

You can combine the Visa points with one benefit from RCI which is "their" money effective January 1, 2009.

Here is some new information regarding NextCruise Certificates purchased prior to December 31, 2008

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=936032&highlight=benefits+with+next+cruise

The only reason why I booked onboard is that they had cabins available that did not show on the internet. I will only cruise if I can get a hump cabin.

Just an FYI, if you don't see a cabin available on the internet, call. They only show a maximum of 5 cabins available per category online.

Depending upon the way you look at it: Unfortunately or fortunately we do not use credit cards just our debit cards. We have a mastercard for emergencies but have not used it even for that for over a year. Gotten out of the habit of credit so using Visa points is not an option for us.

If the price goes down yes they will credit us but it went up so we are screwed. Our travel agent gave us onboard credit which lowered the price a bit but we were planning on getting both from RCL and the travel agent. Oh well, live and learn.

Oasis does look amazing though, it will be a unique experience.

cina54

Archived