Aurora - mechanical problem slowing her down, itinerary altered

Goldryder

Aurora appears to have had a recurrence of her 2005 bearing failure. She is running at an average of 13 knots and will take 4 days to get to Auckland. P&O are sending engineers out to get the problem sorted, this will mean an extended stay in Auckland and the subsequent itinerary altered accordingly.

A couple of passengers have contacted Ross at Cruise Junkie...and he passed them onto me for my site, so thought I should post here too.

Just checked the weather forecasts and it is not looking too good in the Tasman.

Hope she makes it to Auckland OK with her reduced power.

Also checked the Port of Auckland schedule and it has been altered as follows

AURORA QUEENS WHARF

Arrive 6/3/2009 21:04 From SYDNEY

Depart 8/3/2009 7:04 To BAY OF ISLANDS

Thanks for the update on times into and out of Auckland, We are on the ship and yes the arrival is basically wat is being said around here. However departure is very much up in the air.

Has been all sorts of crazy senarios thrown about as I am sure you can all imagine.

Please update with any info you can find, as you will be aware the internet is slow and takes ages to find any info.

Thanks again

Regards

JimGib

Re the weather not to bad at the moment a small swell but sunny. We have been told the enginiers meeting us at Auckland are on the way out fom Germany. Who makes the engines? Siemens?

Regards

JimGib

Captain has just annouced cruise will not be cancelled, work will be done at auckland, no timescalle for work experts from Germany , Singapore and Australia are in Auckland waiting for us ETA is midnight 6th/7th.

Its the port shaft bearing we have the part on board but need speciaist equipment to install it. Pictures of the damaged parts have been sent to manufacurer so they are aware of the problem.

Regards

JimGib

Odd is it not that if this had been Ventura or Arcadia there would be howls of delight with I told you so and the ship should be sold.

But it is Aurora and not a peep.

She is a lovely ship.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Let's hope that Aurora can be repaired successfully in Auckland. Good job, also, that Aurora has a conventional propulsion system. If it had pods then it would be a drydock exercise for certain. Am I right in thinking that of the whole P&O fleet, only Arcadia has pods? I used to think that Ventura, being so new, must have pods but she doesn't - none of the Grand Princess class have pods.

Fantastic blog of aurora wish I was stuck on the ship !!!!

Jack

Yes it is alright for some people.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

The port schedule for Auckland has changed again.

Still has her arriving at 10 pm Friday 6 Mar,

but now down to leave at 8pm Saturday 7 Mar instead of the Sunday so it looks like repairs may not take as long as originally expected.

However she still has to arrive here yet:eek:

We are now approching bay of islands, captain still saying we will be docking just before midnite. However no news on departure he says we will get an updte at breakfast on saturday morning that will give the germans time to evaluate the repair time.

Regards

JimGib

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you are making good progress.

The weather here in Auckland is improving for you. Just had a weather bomb pass through,but it all came from the East so you are lucky that it did not effect you,and you missed all the rough seas that came with it.

Latest news is, it is worse than first thought we have been told monday evening is the earliest possible departure. Captain will give us all an Update at 8 am sunday.

We had a great day in Auckland took a Taxi all over city and suberbs its a real nice place, think we are going to Rotorura and Hamilton tomorrow the cab driver seems to know where we should go even if he is asking silly money.

Regards

JimGib

Archived