Flying from BWI-LAX-SYD - have questions?

ginger lea

Hi. Flying from Balt/Wash Int'l to LAX to Sydney on United. For anyone who has done this or a similar international flight, could you help answer the following:

1) Will my luggage be checked straight through, or will I need to get in in LA and recheck it?

2) What suggestions do you have in terms of keeping nourished, rested and comfortable for the 14 hr portion from LA to SYD?

Thank you for your thoughts/comments in advance. I have never flown over 6 hrs before and I am a nervous about getting migraine, nausea, and just plain worn out....

Hi. Flying from Balt/Wash Int'l to LAX to Sydney on United. For anyone who has done this or a similar international flight, could you help answer the following:

1) Will my luggage be checked straight through, or will I need to get in in LA and recheck it?

2) What suggestions do you have in terms of keeping nourished, rested and comfortable for the 14 hr portion from LA to SYD?

Thank you for your thoughts/comments in advance. I have never flown over 6 hrs before and I am a nervous about getting migraine, nausea, and just plain worn out....

1. Checked through

2. If you possibly can, buy-up to Economy Plus. If it's offered, it may be less expensive to purchase a year pass (you can bring a companion into the E+ seating with you), then to pay for these flights separately. The money paid is well worth it; I read some of your past posts and think you would find the larger seat size much more comfortable. Try and choose an aisle seat!

The flight will be exhausting, especially in coach. Wear comfortable clothing, keep hydrated, bring an eye mask, any needed medication, and plenty to do. Get up and walk around when you can. I don't do this, but many people find a prescription for sleeping pills helpful; ask your doctor.

Assuming this is one ticket (which it will be unless you did something strange and wondrous -- like buy the two flights at different times), your luggage will be checked straight through. You won't see it or need to think about it until you are at Sydney.

This is a just in case comment: I assume you are a U.S. citizen. Do not forget to obtain your visa for Australia. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is on-line: http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

The most important thing to do on a long flight is to keep hydrated. Good old plain water is the best way to do this. Alcohol and caffeinated drinks are the worst way to do this.

If you are awake, walking around now and then is also a Good Thing.

Beyond that, opinions vary considerably. My routine on long flights (and I have taken way to many of these <grin>) is:

a) As soon as we are wheels up, take a happy pill. I see no reason to be anything other than unconscious for as much as the flight as possible.

b) grab my iPod, put on my noise canceling headphones (the greatest invention since Trappist Ales) and select my "LFS" (long flight survival) playlist. Mine is Gregorian Chants and similar. This helps me to mellow out, relax and snooze.

c) I seldom eat anything on-board. I never eat a full meal. I feel better this way -- both during and after the flight. Many/most people think I am nuts. While that fact is obviously true, this works for me.

d) I seldom drink anything except water or perhaps some juice. I might have one drink, but that is rare.

e) I have yet to watch a movie on-board. See a) above. If I can not sleep, I can at least relax and snooze a bit.

f) I ask the flight attendant to not wake me for food, drink or anything else short of arrival or crash landing.. I also ask for extra water.

You will get other opinions and they are just as valid as mine.

Beyond that, opinions vary considerably. My routine on long flights (and I have taken way to many of these <grin>) is:

a) As soon as we are wheels up, take a happy pill. I see no reason to be anything other than unconscious for as much as the flight as possible.

b) grab my iPod, put on my noise canceling headphones (the greatest invention since Trappist Ales) and select my "LFS" (long flight survival) playlist. Mine is Gregorian Chants and similar. This helps me to mellow out, relax and snooze.

c) I seldom eat anything on-board. I never eat a full meal. I feel better this way -- both during and after the flight. Many/most people think I am nuts. While that fact is obviously true, this works for me.

d) I seldom drink anything except water or perhaps some juice. I might have one drink, but that is rare.

e) I have yet to watch a movie on-board. See a) above. If I can not sleep, I can at least relax and snooze a bit.

f) I ask the flight attendant to not wake me for food, drink or anything else short of arrival or crash landing.. I also ask for extra water.

I agree with everything Paul has suggested. I’m not into taking pills for most anything in life, but have changed my mind in regards to international long haul flights.

I talked to my doctor before taking my last long haul flight from LAX to AMS. I asked him what he thought about taking sleeping pills on that long flights and he gave me a strange look and said “I always take them when I fly to Europe, you should too” (he knows how I feel about drugs).

So after our first meal shortly after leaving LAX I took one and put my eye shades on and ear plugs in. Seems like 10 minutes later I have the flight attendant shaking my shoulder saying “sir, you need to bring your chair upright for our landing”. I look at my watch and this big smile comes across my face understanding I have just slept through the entire flight.

Good luck,

John

We are flying from YOW to SYD through LAX on United next month. I did buy the yearly E+ upgrade, which will allow me and the companion a little extra leg room in the E+ cabin.

However, United is the only airline flying to Aus that doesn't have the seat back videos. They also don't have any plug-ins for a lap top, so you can only watch your own DVDs or play on your computer for a short time unless you bring an extra battery.

So for me its going to be a thick book, a pill to make me sleep for at least 8 hours, ear plugs and blinds. Hopefully, arrive at 06:30 AM refreshed in Sydney.

Especially when you've got another person broadly agreeing with you.

I'm not quite as strict as you, but I don't eat the meals just for the sake of it. Although I'm sure I have watched movies on flights, I can't remember the last time I did that. I'd rather sleep, and with good earplugs, good eyeshades and a drowsy tablet, that comes very easily.

In fact, one of my big complaints is overnight flights that are just too short to get proper sleep on. Especially when I have to walk off the aircraft and go straight to work. I actually prefer 12-15 hour sectors because I can get proper sleep on them.

In fact, one of my big complaints is overnight flights that are just too short to get proper sleep on. Especially when I have to walk off the aircraft and go straight to work. I actually prefer 12-15 hour sectors because I can get proper sleep on them.

I thought I was the only weird one who thought this!

I'm not one for taking pills on longhauls. If everyone did this on longhauls and there was an emergency it'd be a recipe for serious trouble.

Additionally ask if there are any cheap upgrades to business class at either BWI or at the gate at LAX, it might only be $500 or $600 at the gate. It'll be a lot less than paying for it upfront and you'll get off the other end feeling a world better. I pretty much refuse to fly economy for more than 5hrs, I've done it a couple of times over the last five or six years but I find that with holidays, especially short ones, it screws me up and I've wasted a day or two at each end of my trip getting back to normal.

From what I read on Flyertalk, the upgrade from SYD to LAX is around $1100 AUD. So I should imagine LAX to SYD would be around $900.

Archived