What should I expect from my travel agent?

Barb4513

I am a brand new to cruising and called my credit card company that offers "cruise" travel service. The travel agent eventually called me back (after admitting that she forgot about me). Found me what I think are the perfect rooms but I have had to ask for everything. Is this normal? I had to bring up airline tickets (go thru the cruise or on my own) she said we would check into it later. I asked her advice about the port excursions/what to see in the ports and she told me to look on the cruise web site to see what looked interesting to me, she couldn't help me. I have not put down the money yet (deposit due Fri.) as she just isn't giving me that warm fuzzy feeling. I'm ready to book, but . . . Is this what others experience? If not, is it too late to change travel agents cause I might lose my rooms? Thanks for any help!!

Doesn't sound as if you have the right Travel Agent!! And, yes you should expect more ... much more!

It's always best to use an agent who is very familiar with the cruise industry and cruising, and has been on lots of cruises too. First hand advice is very useful in helping you make your choice of cruise. You should also go to the Cruise Line's Website and check out deckplans and cabin locations etc.. as well as their pricing. And of course use message boards such as this one to seek the advice of other cruisers.

No, it's not too late to change. Nothing is guaranteed until you put down a deposit anyway, although your agent may have a 48hr courtesy hold on the accommodations you have been discussing. But if I were you, Barb, I would not use this agent! You need someone with real experience. By the way, many agents will give you a little "gift" on board for using their services, which is nice!

Good luck ... you'll love cruising!!

I met my TA while on board a cruise. I booked through her because she said she watches the cruise prices and requsts a refund if a lower price is posted. She negotiated us the lower price - AFTER we had already made our final payment - on our last cruise, saving us well over $200 per person. You can bet we're sticking with her!

I am a brand new to cruising and called my credit card company that offers "cruise" travel service. The travel agent eventually called me back (after admitting that she forgot about me).

Look for a new TA.

Try a local Travel agency and see if they can answer your questions if not keep looking.

If they cannot answer basic question about the cruise line or airfare they are not for you.

Lyn

Don't the agent and see another one or book direct. That agent is doing NOTHING for you and in fact will likely cause you problems down the road.

As to the questions, Book your own air separately not the cruise line air. That is almost NEVER a good idea. Same thing applies to your travel insurance, try insuremytrip.com to compare and buy policies.

When you say she found you the perfect "room"/ cabin, what cabin did she find on what ship at what price? People here can tell you if it is a good cabin and if it is a decent price etc.

I still say call and say forget it and rebook with someone else. Good agents provide perks and stay on top of your booking getting you any new discounts or upgrades [if you want them] that are available AFTER you book with them.

I agree with the other posters in that you are not working with a very good travel agent. Our travel agent is always happy to help us and never "forgets" about us. He is very involved, especially when it comes to negotiating rates and perks. I would recommend finding someone with more specific cruise experiience.

If you are looking at any kind of benefits or points with your credit card, there may be a way your new travel agent could use that and combine another offer. You never know what is out there unless you ask around.

A TA should be falling all over themselves trying to make your vacation the best ever! You shouldn't have to "remind" them of setting your dining time, or wondering which cabin you're getting...

That's why, if I use a TA, I go to a "brick and mortar" place in my town, where I can sit with the actual human and discuss my vacation plans! If I don't do that, I book my own arrangement directly with the cruiseline (or other vacation spot). The "online" things might advertise good "bargains"--but they aren't bargains if you can't contact them!

As a TA myself i say ditch this one, She is acting llike she could care less about your booking, sometimes the online agencys are just to disconnected to look after you... The right TA will bend over backwards for you, stay on top of your booking, negotiate lowest prices and perks and above all be your advocate in case of any problems, plus do great follow up.....

Find a local TA and enjoy your trip!

Pat

I agree that you should look at finding an agent who specializes in cruises. You should not have to do all your own work! A good TA can guide you based on the preferences you tell him/her.

As far as "What should I do in the ports?" I do agree with your current TA that you need to do some research on your own. There are so many different things to see and do that it would be impossible for a TA to tell you exactly what might be good for you. People who have used the same TA for years can usually go to their TA for advice on port activities, but only because their TA would have learned over time and would know them well. Once you do some reading and research (the ports of call forums here are an excellent source), you can talk to your (good) TA about the things that interest you. No TA can tell you what's "best" or "right" for you without knowing your personal preferences, physical activity/ability, and even some of your background.

Best of luck in your hunt for a good cruise agent!:)

beachchick

You're obviously looking for a TA that will walk you though all aspects of your cruise and this TA is not going to do that so pretty easy to say that you need to find another as this one is not going to give you what you consider good cutomer service.

While I like to choose my own cabins I'd never book with any TA just to assure getting specific cabins. Right now that TA has a hold on those cabins for you. IF that hold was only for you than those cabins will be available again when you don't make your deposit and it is possible you could get them in a few days through another TA or directly with the cruiseline when they go back into the pool of available cabins. IF those cabins were a block of cabins that the TA's agency had on hold then you would only be able to get those cabins through that agency as right now they belong to that agency to sell. Only the TA can tell you which they are.

I'd simply not book with that TA and look for another and hope than either those cabins will be in the available pool of cabins in a few days OR your new TA finds you cabins you're just as happy with or even happier !

I think you're right. I was looking for someone to walk me thru it, not necessarily "tell" me what excursions to take but the human touch. . . "Oh, I've been there you should look at this" or maybe "this port is great you, if you like shopping you would love. . ." Maybe this was just not realistic. I think I will see what I can find tomorrow - I haven't given up hope yet!! Plus there are so many nice people out here I'm sure I can find advice on what to see in the ports!

Thanks everyone!!!

I am a brand new to cruising and called my credit card company that offers "cruise" travel service. The travel agent eventually called me back (after admitting that she forgot about me). Found me what I think are the perfect rooms but I have had to ask for everything. Is this normal? I had to bring up airline tickets (go thru the cruise or on my own) she said we would check into it later. I asked her advice about the port excursions/what to see in the ports and she told me to look on the cruise web site to see what looked interesting to me, she couldn't help me. I have not put down the money yet (deposit due Fri.) as she just isn't giving me that warm fuzzy feeling. I'm ready to book, but . . . Is this what others experience? If not, is it too late to change travel agents cause I might lose my rooms? Thanks for any help!!

Barb - You mentioned the credit card company TA. I called my CC once to see about using points for airfare. Turned out there was a charge ($50. ?) for going through my credit card. What I ended up doing is getting my points in cash. I know this is not what you are looking for, but I'm throwing it out because there could be a charge for booking through your credit card TA.

Archived