To those who have sailed out of Bayonne...

warmwinds

...and stayed in Manhattan for a couple of days beforehand - how did you get to Bayonne? Taxi? Do you remember how much it was (from let's say midtown) - I know taxis don't HAVE to go to New Jersey, so alternatively did you rent a car service?

Yes, I stayed at The Edison Hotel in Times Square, and when I started researching how to get to Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ, I ran into quite an obstacle.

Two taxi companies I checked, 1 wanted $200 each way. The other wanted to give me a tour of NYC with the ride for $450. I found a private service with a van for $98 to Bayonne and $110 from Bayonne back to JFK after the cruise. So got the round trip for $200. They were late picking us up at the hotel, so after the trip when I complained I got half of it back. Very professional company to do business with.

I was told that NYC cab drivers can charge you not only for the way over there, but because they are leaving NYC, they can charge you for the ride back even though the cab will be empty.

Go to the NYC Tourist Board website, that's where I found the co-op I used. I looked for the receipt, but couldn't find it for their name. It was something like New York City Transportation ???

Look a little further down the main board page, it's actually called "Home Ports", then "East Coast Departures". You'll find lots of info there. Have a great trip!

...and stayed in Manhattan for a couple of days beforehand - how did you get to Bayonne? Taxi? Do you remember how much it was (from let's say midtown) - I know taxis don't HAVE to go to New Jersey, so alternatively did you rent a car service?

I have noticed on cruises sailing out of Bayonne that buses from Hotels drop off people. Check into staying at a hotel that runs a bus to the cruise port. I also think the cruise line has a bus that stops at some hotels they recomend.

If you need tour NYC information ask.

Live in the area and know a nice walking day tour you can do on your own.

Very familiar with New York, thanks (one of my favorite place in the world), but now just concerned about getting to the pier. Last time we sailed to Bermuda we left from Manhattan (near the old Intrepid pier) so that was a piece of cake. Don't want to stay in NJ (love it, used to live there) but for a New York trip I want to be in Manhattan.

If you know NYC well, then you should know enough to book a car service to get to the bayonne pier. T

The thought of flagging down a random cab and expecting the driver to know how to get to the Bayonne terminal is almost funny. My recent experience with a NY City taxi driver went something like : Me: please take me to 255 East 83 Street......driver: what street is that on?

Enough humor....but seriously, please do yourself a favor and arrange for a cab service to take you to the pier. You'll know the fare ahead of time, the driver will at least have someone to radio to if he needs directions (unless you know the way to the Bayonne terminal), the car will be there when you want so you don't have to worry about finding a taxi.

I'm sure you know that there is no need to bring cash to the Bayonne terminal....there are no shops...it is an industrial wharf with a tent with a fancy name.....it makes the port in Roaton look fancy. It will not be the highlight of your trip.

Just beyond the entrance to the pier area - as you get ready to turn off the main road is a shopping center.

You could also try the PATH to the Hudson/Bergen light rail which leaves you off at the pier enternce area - then a short cab ride to the ship.

Thanks for the tip about the departures board--never went there before. It was quite helpful but not encouraging...

we will cruise out of Bayonne on Summit to Bermuda & live on Long island-- We discovered what a pain it is going to be to get there (no limos it seems) so we will be driving. Also seems that once you park & check in you are then bussed to the ship

Where do you wait before you can check in?

Is there any chance this may change by 2010 for X cruisers?

hi - actually cruising out of bayonne is very simple - there is a very secure parking lot a short walk from where you check in - you have to pay in advance - we were on a 5 day cruise to bermuda and i believe the cost was around $80 - before you get to the parking lot, you will drive right by the "terminal" where you will drop off your baggage and everyone but the driver - when you disembark, after you find your baggage, you can get a porter to roll your baggage all the way to your car, if you don't want to do it yourself - the bus to the ship that someone was referring to is after you check in and have your seapass cards - the bus goes from the terminal directly to the ship, about a 2 minute bus ride - after you disembark, you ride the same bus to the terminal and then you go find your luggage - it is lined up in a very organized way - have a great cruise

This is totally off topic I know but if anyone that knows Manhattan can help me I would appreciate it. We will be going to Manhattan on a Saturday to see a show at the Nederlander Theatre. We will come by train my NJ into Penn Station. Show is 2 PM. Thought we would come in AM, have lunch, see show and then head home. My husband doesn't walk well so I need to know where I am going. Any suggestions for a place for lunch between Penn Station and 41st Street? Nothing fancy. Maybe a typical NY place. Thanks, Judy

Archived