lifeboat drill? what lifeboat drill?

johno95

If you don't show up at the scheduled lifeboat drill, the next day you will find yourself doing a "special" drill with the others who decided it was okay to skip the safety and evacuation instructions. Don't say you weren't warned!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We were on Holland America twice and both times saw the "rebels" being treated to a special muster drill on the second day. Apparently they were given letters in their cabin that they were to attend "at the captain's request".

We just returned 2 weeks ago, from the Norwegian Sun. They had a mandatory make up life boat drill for those that missed it on the first full day at sea. Oh, and if you make the other passenges wait, delay their fun at the Sail Away party, the consequences may not be too good.. ;)

Have a good cruise

It would seem that lifeboat drill must be staged within 24 hours of sailing. I recall some years ago however that the entire thing was posponed until the following day. Why? Super Bowl, [or some such thing]. As a Canadian I could have cared less, however I feel that any real football fan would not cruise on such a day.:confused: john taylor.

The cabin stewart takes your life jacket because he knows your not serious about being safe. That way if the ship sinks, the other passeners don't have to take you with them in the lifeboat. (Everyone knows your not allowed to use the lifeboat without a jacket)

Actually, I'm just kidding!!! I've been on ten cruises and always attend. It's my responsibility as well as the rest of the passengers to know what to do in an emergency.

Hay, I"m not knocking anyone who wants to skip the drill, but if it comes to it, it will be every person for themselves in an emergency, and those people with the most info will have the best chance for survival. An emergency is a longshot, but they said that about the Titanic!

What ever you do, go to them, don't go to them, just have a safe and fun cruise.

imo lifeboat drill is as important as the flight attendants talk on the airplane- i have flown over 1 million miles and i still stop what i am doing and listen to the drill like its the first time i heard it------------it could save my llife and its worth the 5 min on the plane and the 30-45 on the ship---attendance is mandatory for a reason and your not attending is just childish --- in the event of an emergency everyone is expected to carry their share of the load and you wont be able to and that means someone will put themselves at risk helping you because you thought it was cute to hide in a closet or something llike that

How do they know if you miss it? If you're not in your cabin at the time of the drill you just go directly to your deck, don't you? They didn't take roll or anything that I can remember.

DH and I tried to miss it on our Honeymoon. It was our first cruise and figured it was mandatory but didn't realize it was that mandatory. I don't remember if we were still asleep or taking an afternoon nap but we had no desire to get up and get dressed and stand in the Alaskan cold. The room steward knocked on our door long enough that we just knew she was going to come in and catch us in bed, so we eventually got dressed and went outside. It would have been interesting to see the look on her face though.

"Chance favors the prepared mind".

But then again, I was pretty intoxicated at one and just couldn't stop laughing. My hubby looked so funny standing there with his drink and goofy hat, I think it was our first cruise. It took forever because we had to wait for everyone to show. Norwegian. The next two were a breeze.

Just attend, it's like taking a CPR class, could save a life.

We have always attended. We do however wait for most of the crowd to get there first. We know that it takes some time for them to do the roll call so we like to get there near the end. After 40+ times we have found that not much has changed, but we go just in case.

They don't take roll call by name, they simply call out your cabin number and you indicate your presence to them. Any cabins unaccounted for have received the "see you on deck" letter from the captain. I don't know what happens if they don't appear for the second muster. Maybe then their flotation devices are removed from the room, I don't know. :D

I like to go to the muster drill in case anything happens - I really shouldn't worry, we've only sailed in the warm waters of the Caribbean or the Mediterranean, and fat floats,:) so I wouldn't have a problem - but my husband doesn't swim well, and I'd like to know where we have to go to be saved. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 1 month later...

My hubby has a neat term for what they should do with those passengers...it's called "chumming the water". :D

If you don't go to the lifeboat drill, what do you usually do at that time? ;) )

I guess it varies from line to line. I made it to the drill on the two Celebrity cruises that I did and no one called cabin numbers or anything (which is probably a good thing since I remember by geography, not number). I went on an RC last year and my mother and I were in our cabin waiting to hear the 'alarm', but we never did (I think we were too far away - last cabin on the hall). We finally grabbed our life jackets and headed out, but we were so late the staff that saw us just waved us back to our rooms.

Tracy

I have been on 9 Princess Cruises and have attended exactly one lifeboat drill. We've simply stayed in our room with no problems. On one cruise, when we had a suite, we did have someone bring our afternoon canapes in during the drill, but we were in the other room so he didn't see us. After nine times cruises on the same line, (4 on sun class and 5 on grand class ships) we have the layout down pat. We just make a note of where our muster station is and know that that's where we go with our lifevests (carried, not on) if we hear the alarm. It's not so complicated of a procedure that I have to have a refresher course every six months.

Last cruise (4 weeks ago) we noted the cabin steward had a checklist for cabins that had to be filled out during the drill. Apparently it's a check to see who attended and who not. I've gone to each one, but we had one cruise where my wife slept through the emergency signal and the drill, having been up since the early a.m. that day and late the night before, packing.

Worst lifeboat drill? HAL, on the Ryndam where they made everyone stand on the outside promenade deck by the lifeboat while they did the usual demonstration followed by a "women and children first" split of the group, then followed by a lengthy roll call. In 70 mph winds. The ship then set sail in 90 mph winds and no one was allowed on deck. Go figure.

Archived