RCL whats up with the smoking

Actually the solution would be to come up with a cigarette that has no harmful ingredients, and

has no smell, and produces no smoke. THAT would be the ticket. icon_wink.gif

Started smoking at 15, quit at 26, then back on and off for years. Smoke free now for 5 years, and in fact I am now a runner - something I could not do as a smoker. I do hate smoke, but I totally understand the habit. I will never light up another because I know it would not be the last!

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Reading all these posts is like reliving all the arguments we had with my dad over the years regarding the evils of smoking. I know there is no changing smokers minds, but we took my dad on a cruise last summer because he was done chemo, radiation and was about to have an entire taken lung out. There is no argument that can be made to a smoker that they will believe until reality smacks them in the face. This summer would of been my parents 35 wedding anniversary, unfortunately we will be cruising with my mom and not my dad because the lung cancer finally won the battle. Reading all the defensive posts how fat people, sun tanners, perfume wearers, etc are the same as smokers, makes me realize that until you have to face daily radiation, chemo, have a lung and a kidney removed you certainly will not change your views.

I sincerly hope that the smokers enjoy your cruises, your smoking and don't succumb to cancer, because i can guarentee you that you will look back on every pro smoking argument you have ever uttered and realize how wrong you were.

My cruise history,

Serenade of the Seas, 08/2004

Voyager of the Seas, 07/2003

Nordic Empress, 11/1998

I've never had a balcony cabin...icon_frown.gif...so I can't join in that debate. But yay non-smokers...boo smokers. LOL just kidding folks. I have to agree with Stretch...we have remained quite civil on this thread...I did let my undies get a little bit bunched. But I feel much better now.

081401.gif

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

I am just off the Legend, and they have posted no smoking areas in almost all areas of the ship. The night club was no smoking throughout, and there were 2 blackjack tables and some slots that were designated no smoking. I think that's probably the direction most ships will be going in, as more and more evidence come out about 2nd hand smoke health hazards. The cruise lines will be sued by employees for putting them at risk.

Mel icon_cool.gif

usflagwithfireworks_e0.gifvcsun1_e0.gif

Fascination - July '95

Imagination - December '97

Sensation - December '98

Mercury - December '99

Rhapsody of the Seas - 3/'00

Victory - December '00

Summit -December '01

Millenium - October '02

Radiance of the Seas - 1/'03

Victory - July '03

Mariner of the Seas - 1/'04

Legend of the Seas - 4/'04

Jewel of the Seas - 12/'04

I posted before reading shary...well said. My deepest sympathies. I lost my Mom in 2000 to a long list of illnesses...one being emphysema. She smoked from age 17 to 70ish...finally during her time with Alzheimers...she literally forgot to have the craving...I'm sure it may sound funny...but I'm not kidding...she just didn't require a cigarette anymore. We'd get them for her knowing how addicted she was...and we'd give her the cigarette on her visits with us and she didn't know what to do with it....so we just stopped buying them. The only good thing that came out of the Alzheimers. Sad...when people bring up my Mom to talk about her...cigarettes always come up...that is how much a part of her they were...in all my pictures...she's got a but hanging from her mouth. Her last pink lighter still sits up in my junk drawer in my kitchen...it reminds me of her. I know...strange that an anti-smoker would keep such a thing to remember her Mom...but...like I said...cigarettes were such a part of her.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Even as a smoker, I have to say that no smoking in the dance club, especially ON the dance floor would not bother me. It has always been beyond me as to why some people think a lit cig while dancing in close proximity to other people, maybe isn't the brightest idea.

Dance floor conversation as follows:

Dancer #1 say to partner: "Hey baby, I love this song." (proceeds to gyrate and bounce around, unknowing of the disaster about to strike)

Dancer #2 waving his cig to and fro: "Everybody have fun tonight, everybody wang chung tonight"

Dancer #1 to partner: "I told you this was my song....I'm on fire" (more obnoxious gyrations)

Dancer #1's partner: "Your right, yo are on fire, or at least your polyester shirt is."

Dancer #1 is forced to retreat from the floor, causing him to loose his grrrrroooove.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS: SMOKERS, NO MATTER HOW BAD SOMEONE DANCES, YOU SHOULD NOT LITE THEM ON FIRE...EVEN IF THEIR PARTNER LOOKS LIKE THEY WOULD APPROVE.

Thanks KFarr, now I've got to clean out my keyboard. LOL

Isn't this great, all this discussion started with the simple question by the OP. Can we smoke in our cabin! Only in America, home of the free, and supersized fries!

Stretch

Sorry, but all bad habits have a cost to society, not just smoking. Obesity is going to start costing us all a fortune in the sky rocketing cost of health insurance and medical care. Alcoholism, drug addiction, STD's, elevated cholesteral, you name it, it WILL affect you. Yes, smoking is horrible, but lets not blow this all out of proportion! If it bothers you, stay out of the smoking sections. If you are truly so sensitive that you cannot even go into a bar with a smoking section (I'm sure it is a really small percentage of the people who actually claim to be this sensitive), than you probably have problems everywhere, not just on a cruise ship, and probably need to find a non smoking ship, or not cruise! To the people who claim that non smoking cruises are too expensive, than it is obviously not that important to you that you are willing to put your money where your mouth is!!

I personally think that we smokers should unite with the non-smokers and go after the "part-time" smokers. They are the ones causing all of the problems. They only smoke while they are drinking or on vacation. They clog up the bars on the ships bothering the non-smokers and yet when asked to defend the rights of the smokers, they conveniently state, well I don't really smoke. Let get 'em. I've got quite a few friends who are part-timers.

13 cruises I won't bore you with them all

Pending: Fantasy(5/4),Mariner(9/04),Splendour(2/05

http://community.webshots.com/user/bld24

bld24,

I love your sig!! Mine used to say "26 prior cruises-no one cares, so why list them all?" I just changed mine for something a little different, but will change it back soon.

After all, nobody really does care, do they? And it's annoying to have to scroll down forever when some folks list all their jillion cruises on a seperate line.

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

I'm not sticking up for smoking but how about all those folks who bath in perfume or cologne

before going for dinner?

Old Spice, Brute and Hi-Karate is alive and well on cruise ships!

Rusty

stikdog_e0.gif

CARRIBEAN PRINCESS JAN 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL'S LEGEND JAN 2003

CELEBRITY'S CENTURY DEC 2003

cflbird2dog_e0.gif

Archived