RCL whats up with the smoking

You're right, AQHAfan. I'm polite until someone gives me a darn good reason not to be.

On the flipside, I wouldn't cough or ask someone to go take a shower if their nasty perfume was making my eyes burn. I'd just get up and move away...

BTW, I've never blown smoke at someone, even if they were rude.

Celebration 9/13/03--NBA Bachelorette Cruise--AWESOME!!

Next cruise? NOT SOON ENOUGH!!

Um aquafan its really simple....dont go in smoking areas...WOW ...are people that dense. The only time considerate smokers become inconsiderate is when people go in our smoking areas and start complaining about well um smoke..The thing is if people have nothing to complain about they arent happy.
On the Radiance there was hardly any smoking areas on the ship. In the Colony Club AT the bar a lady was complaining about me lighting up(in the one few smoking areas) HOWEVER I informed her it was a smoking area and showed her where the non smoking area was then I moved about 10 feet away from her because I am considerate..but she still had that nasty look on her face. SO whose wrong in this situation? Me Im guessing huh?

Wow cruises are so great and something as little as smoking in designated smoking areas bothers you? I think the old ladies in the Hoverounds pose a much greater danger than all the smoke on the ship. There pain is immediate and bruising.

Enchantment Feb,2002; Monarch Nov,2002; Radiance Nov,2003; Golden Princess Feb 28,2004
[img]http://pstr-g01.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/00C/5C/90/C8/A1/E8jxdiZ9faFKEKEk7kLioMO+rbBbKHM20060.jpg[/img]

hisss ...meouwwww....ok...both sides are right...yes, i smoke...and my wife doesn't...i would never think of smoking in a nonsmoking area...and there are times that we sit in the nonsmoking areas...and when i need to smoke, i'll just move to the smoking area...hey...after dinner....wife goes for the pit stop, and i go for a smoke... but...as all smokers know...we're second class citizens...and sometimes non-smokers go into the smoking areas...possibly inadvertently...and all of a sudden, when i'm on vacation...just trying to relax...someone is lecturing me on the evils of smoking...i don't really need that...

Stretch...meet you in the smoking corner

Um.Your logic makes NO sense....To be considerate means not to irritate someone in this case...I don't consider you to be a considerate smoker if you are telling me you know it is bothering someone,and you continue to do it.

You are the one who said you practice this,so yeah if you do..then you are wrong..
Like someone said earlier..you cant stop breathing so,using your logic,it is impossible for non-s vs does,to not cross paths since you've made it you lifes goal to make sure your rights are not infringed on and you can smoke your cig in a 20sq ft area.And the only density I see is ohh,,,excuse me..can't see through the smoke..
Smoke in your house,please..But keep your windows up,Smoke in your car,,but keep your windows up..Smoke yourself happy in your cabin,don't open the balcony and don't go on the balcony.Smoke around your family,friends children and pets,not around mind.See thats the considertate thing.
Enjoy your freedom,smoking in public places will come to an end.

[img]http://heathersanimations.com/Animals1/uma01.gif[/img]

Obviously you dont get it. We know we are hurting ourselves and believe me Im sure most of us wish we could quit but we dont need your preaching - we are adults you know and as long as were smoking only in the areas we are suppose to be then leave us alone...We dont preach about it when people with other addictions bother us like those who eat too much and stuff the food down their throat and we have to look at them, or drinking or biting your nails. Those are all gross habits that affect me directly...if Im looking for it - but I dont because I dont nitpick people. Maybe in the great wordly metropolis of Texas they havent taught people about differences or tolerance. But then again......

Btw - Im in no way bashing nail biting alcoholic smokers...its all good - Have fun

Enchantment Feb,2002; Monarch Nov,2002; Radiance Nov,2003; Golden Princess Feb 28,2004
[img]http://pstr-g01.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/00C/5C/90/C8/A1/E8jxdiZ9faFKEKEk7kLioMO+rbBbKHM20060.jpg[/img]

Mariapd, it is you that does not get it. Your smoking affects people, could possible cause them to have an asthma attack, or an allergic reaction or in the extreme, cause them to die of cancer. There is no question about it, it's been scientifically proven that second hand smoke causes health problems. The smoke you breath out in your designated smoking area drifts over to the non-smoking area exposing people to risks. You are actually angry at people who object to having your bad habit/addict affect their health. Do you really think that is so unreasonable?

People who eat too much, drink too much, and bite their nails do not affect your health. You may not like their behavior, and that is perfectly OK to not want to look at someone who is drunk or biting their nails, but the affect on you stops there. Their bad habits don't hurt your health, or the health of your family and friends. An analogy would be that everytime you went to dinner an overweight person would force food down your throat even if you didn't want any. I don't think you would like that!

I do not preach at people about their smoking, if it's bothering me I will leave...I would never be so rude as to ask a smoker to put out their cigarette in a smoking area. Though I might ask them to move their ashtray if the smoke is drifting towards me. But for you to judge someone's cough as real or not and to blow more smoke their way if you deem them "faking it" is about as rude as anything I have ever heard.

I hope that some day you are able to rid yourself of this habit/addiction, before it harms you or someone close to you. I know you feel powerless in this addiction, but you shouldn't be angry at people who suffer at your hands.

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=2413047577"]Join Our Legend Roll Call Here[/url]

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=9023035677&r=4303056677#4303056677"]Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here[/url]

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991
Carnival Elation 1999
NCL Sun 2002
Star Princess 2003
Legend of the Seas 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> if I want to smoke & am allowed to do so in an area specified for such, I will continue to do so until some Demo politician enacts a law that tells me I can't anymore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the dumbest statement I've read in a long time. Does that mean all Repu politicians are in favor of smoking??? Geez...

As far as the comments on epitomy of health...I have found this to be true...and I'm sure there are exceptions...but those people who smoke...usually are the same people who don't excercise or eat well...not all...but most...when I smoked...I couldn't excercise...I couldn't even get up a flight of stairs without coughing up a lung...so not to generalize, but nonsmokers...many of us choose not to smoke, because yes...not smoking is a good start at taking control of your health and your well-being. What you do to your body for the first half of your life...has definate effects on the last half. I'm not a skinny minnie...though I walk almost every darn day trying to get fit...ugh...but I'm not obese by any means.

PS: Rhode Island, my neighboring state, is finally going smoke-free in restaurants and bars very shortly...just heard it on the news yesterday........woooooppppppeeeee!!!! Finally I'll be able to go to Dave and Busters in Providence and not have to leave with red eyes, a soar throat, and a nasty migraine!!! Lovin it!!!

I have to agree...us nonsmokers are the worst...when it comes to having little patience for smokers...I think, in part, because we know quitting is doable...we did it...why can't you??? Cold turkey...it is the way to go...and never look back!

Wish everyone the very best...smokers and nonsmokers....happy cruisin!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Since you've made the comparison...there has been increasingly tighter environmental regulations worldwide that call for advanced emission controls and near-zero diesel emission levels in the years to come.

I don't care what type of pollution it is...I don't want to breath it.

I work in a hotel, and if everyone who says they are "allergic" to smoke really was, smoking would have been outlawed years ago. Don't dilute your argument with something that just isnt' true.

On the few occasions we're run out of non-smoking rooms (only 10% of our rooms are smoking), I have heard some doozies about why someone "had to have" a NS room. One lady even pulled out a paper from a doctor saying she had to have a NS room. Unfortunately , the paper didn't make another NS room appear...

"He saw himself as a crystal pool of clarity, and viewed his life as a troubled glass of misunderstood virtue."

That's just it, please don't be defensive, just know that all of us that make an issue of the smoke are 1) affraid for our health and 2) hate the immediate effects of being around it and 3) for some of us, it's an issue very close to our heart due to loved ones lost.

I love to dance, so it's inevitable that i'll have to be around smoking on the ship; as someone said earlier, drinking and smoking often go hand in hand. So it's not that easy to say, "stay in your area." the dance floor is "my" area just as much as it is a smoker's...

And for the record, I DO exercise regularly, eat well, have protected sex, use sunscreen, drive with my seat belt on, etc. etc. etc.

I do make every effort to be a healthy person. But if i chose to do NONE of these things, with the exception of the sex part (this is hypothetical because i am married) I WOULD ONLY BE HARMING MYSELF. NOT YOU.

So what is wrong exactly, with just kindly going outside to smoke? Seriously? Even if not every time, as many times as you can think of it, just to clear the air somewhat for those of us that like to partake of activities that happen to occur in designated smoking areas.

og...I want a non-smoking room at all times...just because I want one. I may not have any major health problems...but I don't want to spend one night in a room that smells like an ashtray!!! And I refuse to ever be made to feel like I need to come up with an excuse as to why I want one...I just do. Admitting that some hotels do a better job of "cleaning the air" than others...I always ask for non-smoking rooms. Last year while at a convension in Boston...I was exhausted for my early check-in...and because I was early, the only room that was available at the time was smoking...the fellow hygienists I was with were all a bit nervous about taking it...but to our surprise it didn't smell a bit...that is an exception to the rule. For those of us who don't smoke at all, aren't around smokers at all (family or friends)...if I just pass by a smoker...I can smell it...it is foul to me. A couple of the assistants at my office...will "sneak out" for a puff now and again during the day...when they come back...they smell like ashtrays. They try to douse themselves in body spray...who are they kidding!?!

To be perfectly blunt smoking is downright NASTY. Not only is it proven to be bad for your health and the health of others, it ages you long before your time and you smell like crap.

Please tell me what part of that is appealing???

I chose a balcony cabin for my cruise in December hoping to be able to get away from the smoke if indeed it's too much to handle in the common area's. It never once crossed my mind that I still may be subjected to smoke while sitting out on a balcony until I read a thread indicating that the balcony at times is the worst place to be exposed to it.

I really don't care if you want to smoke in the privacy of your own quarters that is your business however please just let us breathe the Carribean's clean air.

Thanks,

Buddy

Carnival Glory December 2004

These threads always get WAY out of hand. So I say this before this tread gets bumped.

I am sorry to say that I am a smoker. I know that smoke is harmful to my health and that secondhand smoke can be more than just an annoyance for certain types of people (such as those with asthma). I do consider myself a considerate smoker, although I don't agree with the interpretation above that a considerate smoker is one that only smokes in their own home or car with the windows rolled up. I smoke in designated areas only, and if a child comes up, or anyone asks if I would mind not smoking because the have a health problem, I kindly oblige. I have to say that as long as there are designated areas to smoke smokers should be allowed to smoke in them. Confining smokers to their rooms on a cruise is not the answer. Why? Because many smokers don't want to lock themselves and their non-smoking spouses or other family in a room with them while they smoke. Instead they may try to go to an area where their smoking will only HAVE to bother other smokers, (I say "have" because even though it may not be the ideal scanario for non-smokers) unless your a smoker you can get away from the smoke alltogether in many areas of such a large large ship. Plus, I have read several threads where people have became very upset about the smell from a cabin that has been chain smoked in.

I know what people will say in response to this message....well, DON'T SMOKE THEN. I can understand how a non-smoker may feel this way because you are lucky enough not to have had to deal with the addiction, and I can also understand how a previous smoker could feel, "hey, easy as pie, I did it cold turkey, everybody can do the same." Congrats to you for you achievement, but it is not that simple as we are all different. If it were, I would have quit along time ago.

Please do not think that I am trying to be rude because I do understand that some non-smokers want to ban smoking all together from the ship. If that is the case please take it up with the cruiseline since they make the rules. If enough people felt strongly about it and tried to do something about it, you might actually see results. I don't want to be chastised or threatned with physical harm, like I actually was by one man, for smoking in an area that has been designated smoking.

Everyone have a great day!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandhillwings:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> if I want to smoke & am allowed to do so in an area specified for such, I will continue to do so until some Demo politician enacts a law that tells me I can't anymore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the dumbest statement I've read in a long time. Does that mean all Repu politicians are in favor of smoking??? Geez...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO, I don't think all Rep politicians are in favor of smoking, how ridiculous is that?? But it's usually the Dems that think people can't think on their own and need laws to protect them from themselves.

Celebration 9/13/03--NBA Bachelorette Cruise--AWESOME!!

Next cruise? NOT SOON ENOUGH!!

kfarr...your comment was actually the first representing the "other side" that was well stated. I truly don't mean to come off as a hardhead.

I think that my main complaint...isn't that I want smoking to be completely banned...although that wouldn't be such a bad thing...but there should be a happy medium somewhere in this. I just hate WHERE the cruiselines decide to put these designated areas to smoke. I can raise the same complaint...nonsmokers pay a lot of money to cruise too. It seems that all the areas that they put the designated areas in...are places I'd like to go. Basically...as far as I know...the ONLY areas on the ship that are completely smoke free are the theatres that hold the nightly shows and the dining rooms...am I right? That really isn't much of an area...ratio-wise...for us non-smokers to get a break. Couldn't they have one or two bars on the ship where smokers could go...then hold bingo and so forth in the non-smoking areas...that way smokers could get up to have a smoke before, during, or after bingo. My kids wanted to go and play board games in the library...and that is where they have cigar smoking. Honestly folks...there has to be a better way...right now...I see it that the smokers desires are coming first. I don't see how they are being effected at all...the cruiseships are loaded with smoking areas...as a nonsmoker...I feel...I have no place to go and enjoy clean air...unless I'm in the DR, the shows or in my own cabin...the daily scheduled events are all in smoking environments. Anybody???

On our last cruise on the Radiance, they had made the Schooner non-smoking (I think our week was the second week). You had to go back to the Colony club to smoke. The Schooner Bar was DEAD. The bartenders were complaining that they had nothing to do after adoption of the new (experimental?) policy. We had been on the sister ship Serenade two months earlier and the Schooner Bar (smoking allowed) was one of the most popular places on the ship. That's probably why they don't do more smoking/non-smoking division of bars and lounges.

Golden 11/01
Monarch 12/02
Fantasy 6/03
Serenade 9/03
Radiance 11/03
Mariner 6/04
Enchantment 9/04
Legend 3/05

Thanks ug...the schooner is one of my favorite bars on the ship...they have sing alongs at the piano and trivia games...not to mention the great view outside the windows the line the sitting area...that I just couldn't participate in...I was trying to be a sport...my older son wanted to do one of the trivias...and I sat down long enough to sign up for it...and had to leave...I'm just really sensitive to the smoke. I guess it comes down to the fact that there are...according to the poll being held on this board...approximately 40% of people cruising...that still choose to smoke...out of that ratio...they probably are being accompanied by atleast one family member that doesn't smoke. So you pull all of the smokers out of the lounges...with their party members...and that leaves a few nonsmokers left. I guess there really isn't a happy medium. The ships can either go completely non-smoking, which would result in a possible decline in bookings...or continue to keep things as they are...which in my opinion favors the needs of smokers. Hey I'm still going to cruise...I just know that I'd enjoy my experience more if I could enjoy all areas of the ship without having to avoid smoking areas. OK...everyone just needs to quit!!! J/K folks...OK maybe not!

I think you are right that there is no happy medium. Only solution to the business/bookings part of it would be for ALL cruise lines to do it (at least all Carnival/RCI lines) on all ships. I believe most of the smokers would still cruise on a non-smoking ship if they didn't have a choice. That ain't going to happen, however, at least not for many years.

Golden 11/01

Monarch 12/02

Fantasy 6/03

Serenade 9/03

Radiance 11/03

Mariner 6/04

Enchantment 9/04

Legend 3/05

what they have done here in florida is set up designated outside areas for a lot of the restaurants & bars with food just for smokers. the weather is wonderful, nobody seems to have a complaint. that would be IMHO the ideal solution, a certain deck, with an outside area, & a bar, lots of tables & chairs etc. that would be designated for smokers. Perhaps at the back of the ship.

This little debate is comming along swimmingly and I think that all sides have shown a lot of restraint. Point being, if we can debate this, or any subject, for that matter, and do it considerately, why can't we all show the same restraint in our actions... Hmmm? I realize that I fueled some of the fire here and fully expected to see the knee-jerk reactions that seem to alway follow on topics like this. But for the most part it just didn't happen. Going on a cruise is a vacation that we all can enjoy if we all show a little restraint, be polite, no matter how difficult, and respect eachothers personal space. It's not an impossible thing to do. With that said, I think I'll take a smoke break, outside of course, I have a non-smoking office.

Cheers!

Stretch

I just have a question...i seem to be reading here that the smokers are smoking in designated areas that the non-smokers want to go into (ie, the lounges, bars, clubs)...and i read the non -smokers (well, the polite ones, anyway), suggesting that all they want is for the smokers to go outside to indulge in our addiction.... fair enough...but then we get the other non-smokers complaining that when we smoke on the balconies (which are outside, last time i checked), it infringes on their rights...or when we smoke in the designated outdoor sections of the pool deck, it infringes on their rights....so then the solution seems to be...ok, smoke in your cabin...but this isn't good enough either, because then other non-smokers complain that the rooms smell like cigaret smoke...

I guess the only happy medium would be for us smokers to quit...and only indulge in the vices that the non-smokers approve of. BTW...i happen to be allergic to cranberries...so should i be thinking of starting a campaign to eliminate cranberry juice from all the bars and restaurants on the cruise lines?

ok...time for another cigaret....anyone got a lite? icon_wink.gif

maddog,I suppose if others start shoving cranberries down your your throat,then you would have a legit.platform.

I am not oppossed to the occasional waif of smoke that passes my way,be it on my balcony,or passing on a deck.After all..have you ever smelled Houston??

What I don't understand is what is meant by "coming into a smoking area".

When I think of a smoking area,I think of the little fenced in caged area we had at our High school,you know the 30 ft fenced in area,facing the ag barn,no cover.Or maybe,out back in the alley at work where the dumpster is.Or yes,any well ventilated romm or deck,that was soley for smoking purposes.I don't consider the casino,or bars,or any other public room,"smoking Areas"

Yes,I understand that smoking is allowed.But thats why we have the problems we do.I am not saying(although hoping) for smoking to be eliminated,but when people make statements like

"I am considerate until someone starts coughing,then I blow smoke in their face" is ridiculous.I think the point someone was trying to make about the smoke in the car was,not because of the pollution to the air,but if smoking is so wonderful,and the smoke harmeless..why do you roll your windows down?

<RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

Archived