What to do on ship on port days

cruisinnow

We will be cruising on Ruby Princess and have decided to stay on the ship the day we are in port in Jamaica. We have already been there before and did not enjoy it as much as the other ports. My question is, if we stay on the ship that day will there be something to do. Or does the ship become a ghost town? Thanks for the help.

Ghost town pretty much describes it. We did a Sanctuary day while the Crown was in Grenada year before last. Very relaxing, but expensive. I'd say we expected better service, though. If we got hungry or wanted a drink, we had to go hunt it up.

Not sure what you are looking for... but it's fabulous! If you want to hang out by the pool, it's quiet and anything ordered from the grill or the pizza place is truly made for you! Spa treatments cost less and they have a lot of specials...I have never been bored and loved every minute of it! :D You truly feel catered to...

Have a fabulous day onboard in port!

VB1

On port days you seem to have the ship to yourself. They may have a trivia game some time during the day and a movie. It is one of the best times to enjoy the pools or treat yourself to a spa treatment as they always seem to have specials on port days. It's a nice relaxing day. I've been to the Caribbean so many times now that I don't spend much time off the ship unless I want something specific on shore.

Ditto all the above, although it might be less deserted onboard on a port day in Jamaica than some other islands -- you're not alone in your dislike of Jamaica; many cruisers don't care for it, either, so while the ship will still seem emptier, it probably won't be totally empty.

I agree, similar activities on Port Days as on Sea Days only less people. Sanctuary would be a waste on a Port Day to me as things are usually pretty quiet. We go ashore everywhere there is a beach but have spent time on board when at a Private Island we have been to before and enjoyed the quiet.

Yes, it becomes a ghost town but you'd be surprised how many people don't get off or get off later so you won't be alone. I love being on the ship at that time: I have my choice of loungers, plenty of waitstaff happy to bring me a drink, and the CD usually plans a few things for during the day. On my upcoming Mex Riviera cruise, I planned to stay on the ship all of the port days but have given in to my adventurous side and booked a couple of tours. But I would have absolutely no problem being on the ship any of the days while in port.

I might get my hair cut or colored (usually a bit cheaper). I might do a couple of loads of laundry, but that is the best time to take pictures inside the ship because you won't have as many people crossing right in front of your lens and you have the time to "compose" a picture.

We stayed on board during our Ruby cruise while in Jamaica.

We hung by the pool all day and had pretty good pool side bar service.

The ship wasn't a ghost town as quite a few people stayed on board that day, but there was a lot of elbow room. We loved it!

I may be going round the bend here, but I thought I read on this board a few months ago that Princess would no longer be stopping in Jamaica. Maybe I just dreamed it???

Karen

I also thought that Ocho Rios was a thing of the past--we had a bad experience there a couple of years ago and probably wouldn't get off the ship unless for some GREAT excursion--nope--probably stay on board !!

Nancy:D

I may be going round the bend here, but I thought I read on this board a few months ago that Princess would no longer be stopping in Jamaica. Maybe I just dreamed it???

Karen

New Itinerary with out Jamaica starts in the fall

I am so glad to finally be part of this web site , have heard and read great things and have already gained so much more info about cruising, am going on the grand princess to the caribbean mar 27 my husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary can't wait, this is our 5th cruise

I am so glad to finally be part of this web site ' date=' have heard and read great things and have already gained so much more info about cruising, am going on the grand princess to the caribbean mar 27 my husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary can't wait, this is our 5th cruise[/quote']

Welcome to cruise critic....in case you are not aware, here is the roll call link for your cruise where you can meet others sailing on the same voyage as you..... enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712180

First time poster. We plan a cruise with brother/SIL for their 60th wedding anniversary. Going Eastern Caribbean. Anyone else going?

Go to the Roll Call section for Princess--Look up your ship and next look up your cruise--join your roll call by just signing on--then meet your fellow CC's--you might enjoy reading the thread to see what's going on--maybe a meet and greet is already been planned

Enjoy your cruise

Nancy:D

On our last stop in Ocho Rios on our Panama Canal cruise last spring we also didn't want to venture into Ocho Rios because of a past bad experience. We spent most of the morning on Promenade deck looking out over the harbor, sipping on a drink and just relaxing. The ship won't be empty but it will be a lot quieter. Enjoy... :)

Archived