Coffee Card?

MOOKIE544

:confused: I am a first time cruiser and am sailing on the Star late June. What is this about a coffee card? I know there is a charge for soda, but is coffee complimentary with breakfasts and desserts at lunches and dinners. Please clue me in. Thanks!

:confused: I am a first time cruiser and am sailing on the Star late June. What is this about a coffee card? I know there is a charge for soda, but is coffee complimentary with breakfasts and desserts at lunches and dinners. Please clue me in. Thanks!

Cruise line coffee and tea are included in your cruise fare. Speciality coffees and actual brewed coffee are not. You can purchase a coffee card if you enjoy brewed coffee or speicality coffees.

The "free" coffee is made with a coffee syrup. I tried it, it was okay. Not good, not awful, definitely not something to indulge in!

I bought the coffee card. You got about 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee (in the International Cafe). For a week cruise, that's two specialty drinks a day, which was more than enough for me, especially since I could go down in the morning, get a brewed coffee to go, and head to the breakfast buffet.

If you drink a lot of coffee and really enjoy the specialty ones, I'd get it. I also liked getting to now the baristas in the Cafe - they were wonderful (on the Crown in October).

I purchased a coffee card on the Crown in February. I used it for some specialty coffees but mostly for brewed coffee. I also loved the iced decaf that the lovely young woman topped with whipped cream for me every afternoon.

I have a question on the coffee card.

When we were on the Dawn to Alaska in 2007, my husband bought a card. When I asked for a brewed coffee, they punched it.

Have they stopped doing that? Or is it by ship? Or was that a trial program (they did tell us we got a large coffee for our punch).

He may have a punch left on it - if so, and if (a big if) he can find it - can we use it up on our next cruise?

Ok, that was two questions.

Thanks,

abby

I have a question on the coffee card.

When we were on the Dawn to Alaska in 2007, my husband bought a card. When I asked for a brewed coffee, they punched it.

They weren't supposed to have done that

Have they stopped doing that? Or is it by ship? Or was that a trial program (they did tell us we got a large coffee for our punch).

Doesn't matter which size coffee you get. If it's not a specialty, the card doesn't get punched.

He may have a punch left on it - if so, and if (a big if) he can find it - can we use it up on our next cruise?

Absolutely. :D

Ok, that was two questions.

Thanks,

abby

Tell him to just show the card, not hand it over. There are still some servers (and they are most likely new) who don't understand there's a difference between plain coffee and fancy coffee.

When we were on the Sun in 2007, we were also told that brewed coffee was not included with the coffee card. They wanted to punch our card with each coffee. Instead, DH said he would just pay extra for it, and he did, every day. The only concession was that the baristas usually charged him for a small brewed coffee although they were filling his travel mug. Even then, one insisted on charging him for a large coffee, and, in that case, he let her punch the coffee card.

I think it was just a case of misinformation. We had no trouble on the Golden in 2008 or the Emerald in 2009, and received unlimited brewed coffee with the coffee card. But I think it's worth checking before you buy the coffee card, because I can imagine the "free unlimited brewed" coffee benefit being removed at some point in the future.

The Coffee Card:

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $3.00, espresso $2.50.

$25 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise.

Toto/Caribill,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you get about 15 punches on the coffee card for that price...yay/nay?

You are correct. And as long as one punch remains, you get unlimited brewed coffee.

Archived