Internet on Solstice

ngiva

the Celebrity site says:

Internet

Internet access is available in the Internet Café 24 hours a day until debarkation is completed. Internet minutes are available at 5 different rates:

• $0.65cents a minute with no package.

• $40 for 75 minutes

• $60 for 125 minutes

• $80 for 185 minutes

• $100 for 260 minutes.

There are discount coupons in the cabin for setting up an account on the first day, and others for Captains Club memters. On their M class ships there are hot spots around the ship where you can use your notebook, but they still require opening an account with them. We are on the Solstice 3/29 sailing, so plan to check if it is any different from the M class.

Anybody know what the discount on the first day for internet access is? The hubby and I are staying in a regular balcony stateroom. Not a suite, not AQ, not captain's club.. :(

You get 20% more minutes per package if you book the first day.

I think you have to log in to use the internet. Whether or not you log in on YOUR laptop or the internet cafe's computers, usage is usage.

That's right.

In terms of speed, it is not fast. It is more like a good dial-up connection than high speed but this is common to most ships at sea.

Hi,

We took advantage of one of the special packages for more minutes, then discovered we had to "cheat" to use it.

My partner & I have never experienced this on Celebrity before, so we were rather shocked. Our shipboard account is always charged to a single credit card which is in my name.

When we purchased our Internet minutes, my partner used his SeaPass card. The next day I went to use the Internet, scanned my SeaPass card, and was denied access. The Online@Celebrity attendant rather curtly and gruffly explained, "The minutes are in Marc's name, you can't use them." Needless to say I was livid!

Though immediately realizing that this likely occured because we don't share a surname, I suddenly felt discriminated against.

Please, my intent here is not to high-jack this thread, merely to share an experience in case other couples, married or otherwise, and not sharing a surname might run into the same thing.

AND, I went back later in the day and used Marc's SeaPass card to access the minutes. ;)

CM

I used it on Solstice in their "online" room which included the use of a laptop. The response time was actually very good and I was able to pull up my boarding pass and then my wife's boarding pass and print them both in under 1 minuite, so my total internet bill was 65 cents. There is free wifi at most ports. I used the one at Tortola and I was able to access it from the ship on our veranda but I'm sure it would work if you went out on deck 5 to the outside area and grabbed a chair and used it. Also, San Juan has free wifi but I could not reach it from the ship. In St. Martin I used a internet cafe that was about $3 for 20 minutes, plenty to gather my emails and respond to a few.

I think the ship's rates are unreasonable. At most it should be what airports charge, like $9.95/day.

On the day we needed to get boarding passes, many computers did not work & the internet help person was nowhere to be found!

Other than that it was basically the same as other ship but not as bad as Century which was really slow! The room is nice but maybe not enough stations for such a big ship..esp if many donot work well.,,,

• 2 weeks later...

When using the internet from your laptop in your stateroom, does it tell you how many minutes you have when you log on, and how many minutes you have remaining when you log off?

The reason I'm asking is when I used their computer several years ago it took me almost 20 minutes just to connect, and they counted that against my total on board minutes. If something similar occurs on Solstice, I would like the option to contact them add the minutes back onto my account.

When using the internet from your laptop in your stateroom, does it tell you how many minutes you have when you log on, and how many minutes you have remaining when you log off?

The reason I'm asking is when I used their computer several years ago it took me almost 20 minutes just to connect, and they counted that against my total on board minutes. If something similar occurs on Solstice, I would like the option to contact them add the minutes back onto my account.

Yes, it does give the balance. I didn't have any issues with using it in my room.

Hi,

We took advantage of one of the special packages for more minutes, then discovered we had to "cheat" to use it.

My partner & I have never experienced this on Celebrity before, so we were rather shocked. Our shipboard account is always charged to a single credit card which is in my name.

When we purchased our Internet minutes, my partner used his SeaPass card. The next day I went to use the Internet, scanned my SeaPass card, and was denied access. The Online@Celebrity attendant rather curtly and gruffly explained, "The minutes are in Marc's name, you can't use them." Needless to say I was livid!

Though immediately realizing that this likely occured because we don't share a surname, I suddenly felt discriminated against.

Please, my intent here is not to high-jack this thread, merely to share an experience in case other couples, married or otherwise, and not sharing a surname might run into the same thing.

AND, I went back later in the day and used Marc's SeaPass card to access the minutes. ;)

CM

We were on the Milli last year and our daughter was the first one to want to use the internet to e-mail some friends back home. We told her what package to purchase and sent her on her way. The same thing happened to us, as my husband found out when he went to log onto it to contact work the next day and it said he did not have any minutes purchased and the package she purchased was tied to her seapass card. He had to grab her card before running to check his work emails each morning. I believe that is true for whoever purchases it as we have the same last name.

I got the internet package the first day and I think I still paid $60.00 but couldn't tell you how many minutes I got. I ended up with a lot of time I didn't use and would rethink getting the package in the future. In reality, if you're using a lot of computer, you aren't spending that time doing stuff on the ship.

It did come in handy on the last day and I helped some other people using my minutes to get their boarding passes.

Internet service was very good and fast in the cabin we were in.

Archived