Caribbean Western or Southern?

gettingmarried

We are planning on a February 2010 cruise (hoping the prices drop!) and we have already done the eastern a couple of times and wondering which out of western or southern is the better cruise?

Southern by far!

I vote Southern too. The ports are far more appealing (in my eyes, anyway) and from what I've heard/read, the seas calmer in that area than in the Western part. For me, that's a key consideration! That being said, I haven't done a Western itinerary so cannot comment from personal experience. I loved my Southern itinerary though, and am doing a second one in the fall.

We have done Eastern, Western, and Southern. I probably would not do Western again unless the price was so great that I couldn't resist and then I would only be taking it just to cruise. On the Western we went to Jamacia (hated it) Grande Cayman (Pretty but expensive) and Cozumel .Southern is my favorite. We went to Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, Tortola, and St Thomas. It was a little intense. I prefer one less island and one more sea day. I would do an Eastern anytime just to be on a cruise.

I have done all three options over 5 times each. The southern does offer the most port variety and some fantastic options at that however, if you are like me and prefer days at sea to days in a port the southern is not for you. In a typical one-week cruise you will only get one sea day! That's why I stopped doing southern Carribean sailings unless they are longer than a week.

I've done all three and when I think about which is my favorite cruise, I think the Southern. Do keep in mind that the flight will be more expensive and that it is very port intensive. My husband did not care for it because we seemed to be in port every day and he thought it was tiring rather than relaxing. If you are young and full of energy and money is not an issue, I would vote Southern.

We have done all. But, mostly 10 day itineraries. The Southern is very port intensive, so the extra sea days coming back were a chance to relax. I don't think I would like a port every day until disembarkation. I prefer a sea day for the last day. On most 10 day itineraries, you normally get two sea days coming back. It's a great way to wind down after all the port stops. But, if the port intensity is not a problem, then I would prefer Southern over Western.

I don't like the southern 7-day cruises because there is no sea time and there's the expense of getting to San Juan... only one day at sea isn't enough for us. But the 10-night ones from Florida are great and better than the Western IMHO>

::thinking being on the ship is just good enough so go west sometimes and just don't get off much!::

I will agree with the SOUTHERN!

The Ports are beautiful and I would always rather have the option to get off the ship and investigate a new culture than be trapped onboard during another "At Sea" day.

If you want to relax go ashore and have a taxi driver take you to a quiet beach or waterfront restaurant!

To make the flight to San Juan a better value. Flight in a day or two before your cruise and have a mini vacation before your cruise. Stay in the old city or if you have more time jump over to vieques or culebra "The Spanish Virgin Islands" for some really laid back beach time. http://www.gotopuertorico.com/puerto-rico-vieques-culebra.php

Southern definitely. The islands are very different than the Eastern and Western. Splurge and do the Southern. It is a little more expensive to get to San Juan and to stay there, but it is well worth it. The fact that the cruises are port intensive should not matter. My husband and I just did the southern and we chose to stay on the ship at certain ports (actually had to because I severely sprained my ankle and could not get around well but we would've stayed on the ship at certain ports anyway). I think one stop is always St. Maarten or St. Thomas and you will see those stops on Eastern cruises. If you've seen them before, make your own sea day and stay on the ship. It's your vacation. You can do as much or as little as you'd like.

I agree with Caroline re. $$$. Before you decide, check out what it's going to cost you for a flight and a hotel pre-cruise. We found that the cost approaches the cost of the cruise! If money is tight, that may affect your decision.

Otherwise, the southern caribbean cruise visits more interesting ports IMHO.

I've done each, several times. If pricing is equal, I'd vote for southern everytime. Imagine my surprise when I booked tickets from Detroit into San Juan for significantly cheaper than I could get into Florida this year :eek:.

I do agree that I prefer more sea days than a typical southern can offer, which is why I choose to stay on board at least one additional day. I treasure my 'in-port sea days', as I enjoy the ship much more minus the crowds.

Enjoy!

Cheryl

Southern definitely. The islands are very different than the Eastern and Western. Splurge and do the Southern. It is a little more expensive to get to San Juan and to stay there, but it is well worth it. The fact that the cruises are port intensive should not matter. My husband and I just did the southern and we chose to stay on the ship at certain ports (actually had to because I severely sprained my ankle and could not get around well but we would've stayed on the ship at certain ports anyway). I think one stop is always St. Maarten or St. Thomas and you will see those stops on Eastern cruises. If you've seen them before, make your own sea day and stay on the ship. It's your vacation. You can do as much or as little as you'd like.

I agree. We haven't sailed Southern route yet, but I don't see port intensity as a problem? You can make one of the ports a "sea day". It's even better as most of the people usually get off the ship in port and you have many chairs by the pool all for yourself. Plus many of spa treatments are cheaper on port days.

We like to return to ship earlier in ports we already visited just to enjoy "emptier" ship. :)

P.S. Sorry about your sprained ankle. :(

I agree with everyone else. We've done all 3, eastern, western and southern. We love the Caribbean!!!!!!!! We are going on another southern next month. I loved Eastern and I love Southern, but doubt I will do Western again. Just wasn't impressed.

If you loved Eastern, you will love the Southern cruise too.

Congrats on "getting married" as your user name implies!!! :D

What I like about Western itin is snorkeling/diving oportunities... Grand Cayman is a great place. Plus many Eastern itins have only 3 ports vs 4 on Westerns. But scenery is better on Eastern.

We have done all three as well and Southern was my favorite. Next time I do Southern it will be a 10 day out of Florida so that we can actually enjoy the sea days!. On the 7 day out of San Juan, our butts were dragging by the time we went to 5 ports in 5 days!

I don't like the southern 7-day cruises because there is no sea time and there's the expense of getting to San Juan... only one day at sea isn't enough for us. But the 10-night ones from Florida are great and better than the Western IMHO>

::thinking being on the ship is just good enough so go west sometimes and just don't get off much!::

My upcoming cruise, next month, is a 10-day southern cruise. We have two sea days out of FLL to Aruba, then one sea day from Princess Cay back to FLL.

We have done all three as well and Southern was my favorite. Next time I do Southern it will be a 10 day out of Florida so that we can actually enjoy the sea days!. On the 7 day out of San Juan, our butts were dragging by the time we went to 5 ports in 5 days!

Try 7 day Med cruise..

Barcelona - Marseilles - Monte Carlo - Florence (Livorno) - Rome (Civitavecchia) - Naples - Sea Day - Barcelona...

We had extensive tours in every city.. and by the time we arrived to Naples we wanted, but physically couldn't do any sightseeings.. so we just sailed to Capri..

Stopped in London on our flight back for 10 hours.

When we got back in US we really needed another vacation. :D

Archived