Scrubs

Angie8264

I truly apologize in advance for sounding snarky, but if you want to be "comfortable" and wear scrubs, why are you bothering to go on a cruise? Why not stay home? I like to dress nicer on a cruise than I do in my everyday life. I wouldn't dream of bringing my "house" clothes on a cruise. And like everyone else said, my clothes are already comfortable.

I simply asked as this is my first cruise. Did not realize it would become such an issue. Ok first off they are not my "work" clothes, it is something that I am comfortable wearing, not to loose not to tight. I asked in advance because I wasnt sure. Its really not that big of a deal.

I am going on this cruise because I want to go. I want to see the ocean from my balcony room. As for dressing nicer on a cruise, thats fine too. Me personally I am a country girl I don't like getting all decked out all the time(no I don't dress sloppy, schlumpy or anything of the sort) but I do dress up when I want to. I've just never been the type to wear certain jewerly, shoes , and purses to match every outfit I own.(Sorry if that offends some)but thats just me, to each his own,right?

Now back to the original posting, its been answered and as I said its no big deal. I will wear capris, shorts etc.(No scrubs)

I plan on having a great time on my cruise! Didnt mean to start a debate or get trashed because I simply asked a question.

And I sincerly do appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my post, it is how we get answers to our questions.:)

I simply asked as this is my first cruise. Did not realize it would become such an issue.

Some things are just discussed more than others.;) I also think that everyone thought they were your workclothes because it just seems strange to wear scrubs when one has no connection to them. Like everyone has been saying, there are lots of clothes that are very comfy so why wear scrubs?

Me personally I am a country girl I don't like getting all decked out all the time(no I don't dress sloppy, schlumpy or anything of the sort) but I do dress up when I want to. I've just never been the type to wear certain jewerly, shoes , and purses to match every outfit I own.(Sorry if that offends some)but thats just me, to each his own,right?

:)

No one is advocating that you should be perfectly dressed at all times and it doesn't offend anyone if you don't. On a public forum, when a question is asked, you must be prepared for all sorts of responses and not take some of them personally.:)

I'm sure you will enjoy your first cruise, it's always soooo exciting.:cool:

Some things are just discussed more than others.;) I also think that everyone thought they were your workclothes because it just seems strange to wear scrubs when one has no connection to them. Like everyone has been saying, there are lots of clothes that are very comfy so why wear scrubs?

No one is advocating that you should be perfectly dressed at all times and it doesn't offend anyone if you don't. On a public forum, when a question is asked, you must be prepared for all sorts of responses and not take some of them personally.:)

I'm sure you will enjoy your first cruise, it's always soooo exciting.:cool:

Oh I'm not offened at all(hope I didnt sound like I was):)

I am sure I will love my first cruise:D, no doubt at all about it! Going to spend a day or two in FL first, go on the cruise, spend another day or two in FL then head home. This will be my first trip to FL as well as my first cruise.

Angie!

Enjoy your cruise!

And just be aware, all of the people on this Fashion Board here are all very well meaning and loving. They just want people to look the best they can for each person.

You also can't "hear" a lot of the "concerned friend" and "concerned mom" tones that are inherent in their writings.

But, be aware, on this Fashion Section of the Boards - these are the people who are the most put together and fashionable! It's important for them to look their best, no matter their lifestyle or budget - so their opinions will be likewise.

If you had posted this question on one of the main cruiseline portions of the board - there would have been a bunch of guys tell you "wear whatever you want, we don't care what you look like".

So, I'm glad to hear that you are not offended at all.

I think you'll be fine in capris and such.

Personally if you were wearing scrubs on the ship - I'd think that you worked there, and probably ask you medical questions or "Where's the infirmary located? Can you direct me there"?

At any rate, enjoy your cruise!

And I hope that you'll come back and give us a little report on how much fun you had!

Remember to take your Bonine as preventative medicine each day on the cruise! Better to be preventative than seasick!

(see scrub-talk;))

almost the same as "dress up or street clothes take up too much room"...roll up a set of scrubs..now roll up a cute comfy top and bottom...same space taken up, as "Old Archs' water in the fountain" JMTCW...We dont want you to be embarrassed or wish you had brought reg street, fun clothes, sted o Scrubbbbbs...Bon Voyage Dear.

I simply asked as this is my first cruise. Did not realize it would become such an issue. Ok first off they are not my "work" clothes, it is something that I am comfortable wearing, not to loose not to tight. I asked in advance because I wasnt sure. Its really not that big of a deal.

I am going on this cruise because I want to go. I want to see the ocean from my balcony room. As for dressing nicer on a cruise, thats fine too. Me personally I am a country girl I don't like getting all decked out all the time(no I don't dress sloppy, schlumpy or anything of the sort) but I do dress up when I want to. I've just never been the type to wear certain jewerly, shoes , and purses to match every outfit I own.(Sorry if that offends some)but thats just me, to each his own,right?

Now back to the original posting, its been answered and as I said its no big deal. I will wear capris, shorts etc.(No scrubs)

I plan on having a great time on my cruise! Didnt mean to start a debate or get trashed because I simply asked a question.

And I sincerly do appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my post, it is how we get answers to our questions.:)

We have all been flamed for no good reason, you have to expect someone to get bend out of shape over the littlest of things on these boards. They are out there, you got to not take it personal & ignore them.

IMO I could care less what other people wear as long as their privates are covered. Bring the scrubs if you want, its your vacation & your body, wear what ever make you happy. People might look for a second but they will get over it & move on. Good luck & I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

I know this has been asked and answered - so I don't want the OP to think I'm picking on her - BUT - I would imagine some of these answers were so.... adamant .... for the same reason I say no to scrubs as well.

I work for a Nursing Home Distributor and an institutional pharmacy - in other words - no patients, no patient contact, no customer contact - it's like working for any other office - and there are several ladies here that wear scrubs to work. I hate it and I don't get it. If we worked in an insurance office would they wear scrubs? The purpose of scrubs is for those people with patient contact, or bodily fluids contact etc - to be able to easily take those off and put on another pair - to look uniform with the other people in the working environment so the patients know who they are. I don't let the people who work directly for me wear them - we're in the accounting office for heaven's sake - but unfortunately we have people in customer service, in medical records etc - that wear them and I don't have any control over them! I'm with Stacy London on the "comfort" excuse - there are plenty of cute, appropriate things to wear that are comfortable.

So I just get aggravated with the "anything goes as long as it's comfortable" excuse. And while I've seen some cute scrubs - my daughter and sister-in-law are nurses - they are still just that - scrubs.

Off my soap box now -and honestly - I'm not picking on you, OP and I don't want you to feel like I am - I'm just venting more then anything I guess!!

Please leave the scrubs at home. If you want to be comfortable in your cabin, go purchase something in a silky fabric. I always surprise my husband with at least one new stateroom "outfit" and he sure appreciates it. I'm sure your husband would love to be surprised with something other than scrubs.

Two weeks ago we had a mini suite, and the balcony was totally visible from above, so I bought a lounge set at JC Penney in the robe/nightgown section. It had silky long pants, and a silky tunic top with 3/4 sleeves. The colors were aqua/bluegreen. Solid color pants, print tunic. (reminded me of the Caribbean water.) It was perfect, so comfortable and slimming, weighed almost nothing, and never wrinkled, and it was under $40 on sale.

LOL I guess I should explain this a little better. I AM NOT talking about for a formal night. I was thinking more along the lines if I get burned they would come in handy. The ones I have fit so no I dont think I would look SCHLUMPY at all.(also the ones I have are colorful with designs, not white nurses uniforms!) Above all else I was thinking of not "weighting" down my suitcase. And it was a thought just wanted to get a few opinions on the subject(to me they are about the same as a jogging outfit)

Thank you all for your comments.:)

Honey, it doesn't matter how cute the print is, the style is still "scrubby". I have been cruising for 36 years, and I have never, ever seen a set of scrubs on any ship.

What you wear in your cabin is your business, so take them for jammies.

I wear lightweight knit capris and jersey, georgette blouses in the Caribbean, and they weigh practically nothing. The blouses that are in style now are made with such lightweight fabrics that you can pack 6 and they weight what 3 cotton blouses would weigh.

I hope the OP is having fun and is comfortable too, both physically, in her clothes and mentally at ease as well, since that's what a vacation is all about.

A couple yrs ago I worked with a surgeon, who, when we went on trips to seminars together, would wear his scrubs on the plane, as they were comfortable. It embarrassed the hell out of me; wondering how many people were looking for stains, etc. It was just tacky, tacky, tacky. (But he could really clean up nice when he wanted to)

I don't get the comfort thing with scrubs. I've had to wear them a few times for tests or when I was in the hospital. They're just a bunch of various size rectangles sewn together to resemble a top or pants. The fabric was cheapy stuff that didn't have a nice feel to it. I'm am not a large person but unless I had a very large size, they were hardly comfy. I looked scruffy and sloppy. I'll take my nice looking summer clothes anyday over scrubs.;)

I hope the OP is having fun and is comfortable too, both physically, in her clothes and mentally at ease as well, since that's what a vacation is all about.

A couple yrs ago I worked with a surgeon, who, when we went on trips to seminars together, would wear his scrubs on the plane, as they were comfortable. It embarrassed the hell out of me; wondering how many people were looking for stains, etc. It was just tacky, tacky, tacky. (But he could really clean up nice when he wanted to)

Agreed- that is so tacky! I hate wearing scrubs and the only chance you'll ever see me wearing them in public is if I have to put gas in my car on the way home. They are so uncomfortable, ill fitting, scratchy cheap fabric (it's not like the hospital wants to shell out $ for nice soft ones)...

There is a surgeon where I work that wears a navy blazer over scrubs to make rounds... I think he thinks he's "dressing up" but it looks incredibly ridiculous.

Srubs on a cruise ship...well...I would imagine that you would see the following types of people walking around a cruise ship in scrubs

1. doctors or nurses from she ship's medical center

2. folks who made it on the ship without their suitcases

3. some poor sailor picked up out of the ocean because his boat went down

4. someone who for lack of a better term is a little nutty

You know I was on Valor last year and there was this guy walking around the ship during the day and at night...he wore scrubs, white Carnival robe and shower slippers...he did look a little strange or nutty and nobody was willing to ask him why he was dressed like that...we were all afraid to ask him! LOL!:cool:

Archived