Rome itinerary comments

Does anyone care to comment about my proposed plan? I have already been to the Vatican so I will save that to the end if there is time. I would rather see lots of things rather than a few things in depth. Andy, thank you for the suggestion about the Ostiense Station. I would have taken the train to the main terminal. I now plan to take the train to the Ostiense Station and take the blue line Metro to the Colosseum. Walk around and peek in. Then look at Constatine's arch. Then take the bus or walk up past the Roman Forum and the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, make a left on Via Plebscito and a right Corso del Rinascimento to look at the Piazza Navono and the Pantheon. Then walk back (or take a cab) and go to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Following this route I will end at the Spanish Steps Metro stop which can take us to the train back to the ship. If there is time after the Spanish Steps, we could take the Metro to St. Peters Square and then take the train to the ship.

Singlemom,

How many hours do you have? When does your ship dock and by when do you have to be back on board?

Here's a suggestion. Go to Google Maps +Rome and then you can go point to point by car, public transport, or even walking. I lined up some of the sites (couldn't access the link for public transport, but if you do this, you should be able to get a better idea of the logistics involved and print out a map.

Here is the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps

Here is another website that is interactive and fun to use.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-satellite-map.htm

You can look up the places where you think you want to go and look at pictures of the attractions. For example try the Pantheon: we had not heard much about it, but an Italian lady on our plane said we must go there. It is an amazing architectural structure.

Singlemom,

How many hours do you have? When does your ship dock and by when do you have to be back on board?

The ship will be in port from 7 am to 7 pm on April 20, but we must be back earlier than that due to other commitments. I am adding the gelato to the list of 'must do' items and will also get an iced coffee and cappucino at the Caffé Sant’ Eustachio nearthe Pantheon.

Since you potentially have up to 10 hours or so and are not planning to go in- to the Colosseum and Vatican on tours, I think this is more doable. I think we had to take the Metro from the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Steps (or vice versa) because of the distance (Barberini stop?). People helped to us about finding our way, but a map's also a good idea , so you have a general idea of which way to go and don't get lost.

Here is a suggested itinerary for one day (or more):

http://www.rome.info/itineraries

Maybe you can pick and choose your favorites and plot things out on Google maps. Add a slice of pizza to the list if possible.

Since you potentially have up to 10 hours or so and are not planning to go in- to the Colosseum and Vatican on tours, I think this is more doable. I think we had to take the Metro from the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Steps (or vice versa) because of the distance (Barberini stop?). People helped to us about finding our way, but a map's also a good idea , so you have a general idea of which way to go and don't get lost.

Maybe you can pick and choose your favorites and plot things out on Google maps. Add a slice of pizza to the list if possible.

:confused:

It is only a brief distance between Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps ....maybe a 5-7 minute walk (1 Metro stop).....

Cynthia,

Thank you! I thought the Trevi fountain and S Steps were close. I think the big walk is from the Coloseum to the Piaza Navona and then to the Trevi Fountain. I may take a bus to get over to the Piazza Navona. Since summer is right around the corner, I resurrected the gelato thread you started last year. In Rome I will try the gelato at either San Crispino or Giolitti.

BTW, Whenever I see one of your posts, I study it carefully. They have been quite helpful.

AndynApril...when you say that I can exit the Roma Ostiense station....isn't that coming from the airport? We are coming from Civitavecchia ...the Rome guide book I have has a small map showing Metro A and B, Fiumicino (what does this word mean?). If I was coming from the airport I see how that works better.

cruisemom...thanks for that thread...that was amazing! She was saying how she used a taxi..would that be because it is quicker?

No, we were coming from Civitavecchia also (from the ship). We bought the BIRG ticket - got off at Ostiense & followed the signs to the Blue line B Metro. You won't even need to leave the station. Then find out which direction you need to go on the blue line to get to Colosseo station. We were able to go right to it with no problem. I think Colosseo stop was only about two stops down.

Not sure what Fiumicino means! LOL.:D

Hi!! Everyone can do this and see everything (well, almost everything) This is what we did: We were, literally, the first that got out of the ship (7:00am) we took the shuttle out the port, walk to our right like 7-10 min to the train station were we bought our tickets for 9euros (round trip)p/p and take the train, you have to get out on the Piazza San Pietro, you get out and you'll inmidiately will see the cupula of the Vatican. You will follow the cupula (5mins) and you're there (we where there at 9:00am) we didn't do any lines, yeahh!!. We enter the Church, see it, climb up to see the view from the cupula,(5 euros) went to the Sistine Chappel (from the Vatican to the S.C. you have to walk a lot) we were there at 11 something. To go to the Sistine Chappel (14 e) you have to walk through the museums, we just walk, see a little and kept walking. Once we saw it we took a bus that cost (1e) to drop us in Piazza Spagna were the spanish Steps are, saw them, and kept walking to the Trevi Fountain, then to the Plazza Navona, then to the Panthenon (near it you can by a gellato for 1.5 e. kept walking to the Coliseum (11e), entered, saw it and just in front of if is the another train station and back to the ship at 6:30pm. I hope I've been able to help, if you look for other post not recent, like 2007 you will find better info, the info that I read to planned mine. You will love it!!

:DWow.....thanks....great info....I copy and pasted it into my word file of cities we're visiting

We're flying into Rome on 5/3 staying for 3 nts. then train to Florence..1 nt....then train to Venice....onto the OOs....at last...no more bag hauling...we'll be pooped out before the cruise starts!!:eek:

Here's a trip report from someone who did manage it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627680&highlight=mavismarie+rome

Hi!! Everyone can do this and see everything (well, almost everything) This is what we did: We were, literally, the first that got out of the ship (7:00am) we took the shuttle out the port, walk to our right like 7-10 min to the train station were we bought our tickets for 9euros (round trip)p/p and take the train, you have to get out on the Piazza San Pietro, you get out and you'll inmidiately will see the cupula of the Vatican. You will follow the cupula (5mins) and you're there (we where there at 9:00am) we didn't do any lines, yeahh!!. We enter the Church, see it, climb up to see the view from the cupula,(5 euros) went to the Sistine Chappel (from the Vatican to the S.C. you have to walk a lot) we were there at 11 something. To go to the Sistine Chappel (14 e) you have to walk through the museums, we just walk, see a little and kept walking. Once we saw it we took a bus that cost (1e) to drop us in Piazza Spagna were the spanish Steps are, saw them, and kept walking to the Trevi Fountain, then to the Plazza Navona, then to the Panthenon (near it you can by a gellato for 1.5 e. kept walking to the Coliseum (€11), entered, saw it and just in front of if is the another train station and back to the ship at 6:30pm. I hope I've been able to help, if you look for other post not recent, like 2007 you will find better info, the info that I read to planned mine. You will love it!!

(Psssst -The local busaes are INCLUDED in the €9 BIRG ticket, so you should not have had to pay the €1 for the bus!);)

We have done Rome with the same number of hours you have --- TWICE! Below is the plan we used for that very first time, and we made lots of little mistakes and had to backtrack a couple times because I forgot our GOOD map and left it on the ship! :eek: Somehow we still got everything in!!

We bought €9 BIRG tickets (include day use of trains, Metro and city buses) caught the train from Civitivecchia, then transfered to the Metro, Blue Line B, and got off at Coloseo exit. We came out right in front of the Colliseum. Since then read that we might have been able to shave off a few minutes travel time by exiting the train at Ostiense and connecting to the metro there (also line B) and going the few stops to the Colosseum (Coloseo). Bought our tickets at Palantine Hill, so no line, paid €5 or so extra once inside the Colliseum for an English guided tour. Great decision! Afterward roamed the forum area with a guide book I had brought before walking (got a little lost so lost some time here, but saw more of Rome!) to the Pantheon - the oldest continually used bulding on Earth. Exiting the Pantheon I noticed to our right a street sign pointing the way to Trevi Fountain. Longer walk than we thought at first, but so worth it. We both tossed coins over our shoulders and made wishes to return to Rome soon. We decided to just retrace our steps and before we got back to the Pantheon area we caught the #64 city bus to the Vatican (we looked for one with San Pietra displayed and heading in the correct direction). Toured the Vatican Museums and St. Peters. After exiting the Vatican area we caught the Metro not far from St. Peters to go see The Spanish Steps at the Spagna exit. Think it would have been better to have done the Spanish Steps right after Trevi Fountain and then catch the train back to Civitivecchia after finishing at St. Peter's! However, we only had the Termini train schedule with us, so caught the metro to Termini where we connected with our train back to Civitivecchia. Very ambitious day, but it was WONDERFUL!!! (No time to stop for lunch, just grabbed some gelato and pizza from vendors we passed! With the new ban on eating near the monuments be very careful as those eating or drinking near them are now fined!)

Can anyone give me a quick bit of advice? We have almost the opposite problem to this one of dashing about in a few hours trying to see as much as possible. We have from when we disembark and the rest of that day, then one extra day in Rome. Our problem is that my brother is disabled and has mobility problems. He can walk but we take everything at a very slow pace. So far all we have decided on is to take the 110 Trambus and get an overview. Any suggestions about the one or possibly two things we should see on each of the days? Is there anywhere at night that is special? Also help with places for lunch and dinner would be appreciated.

Can anyone give me a quick bit of advice? We have almost the opposite problem to this one of dashing about in a few hours trying to see as much as possible. We have from when we disembark and the rest of that day, then one extra day in Rome. Our problem is that my brother is disabled and has mobility problems. He can walk but we take everything at a very slow pace. So far all we have decided on is to take the 110 Trambus and get an overview. Any suggestions about the one or possibly two things we should see on each of the days? Is there anywhere at night that is special? Also help with places for lunch and dinner would be appreciated.

Much as I love Rome, it is not a very friendly city for the mobility impaired, I'm sorry to say. While researching something else, I came across this report on Slow Travel about doing Rome in a wheelchair. While that may not strictly be your case, it may give you some ideas or things to consider.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/index.htm

Archived