Rome itinerary comments

Hi, we are going on a cruise that stops one day in Rome (Citvitavecchia). We are thinking about the following..let me know if this is too amibitious and any help you can offer.

Get off ship and take shuttle to port gate and walk to train. Buy BIRG ticket. Take train to the Termini (end of line). ?Take some form of transport to Palatine to get inclusive ticket for Palatine, Colosseum and Forum. See the 3. Walk or transport to Piazza Navona for lunch. Walk or transport to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Catch train back to Ottaviano station (? or closer) to see Vatican/St. Peter's. Train back to ship.

Can anyone help with whether I can walk or need to take transport at anywhere along the route?

I appreciate any help. Thanks. Barb

Hi, we are going on a cruise that stops one day in Rome (Citvitavecchia). We are thinking about the following..let me know if this is too amibitious and any help you can offer.

Get off ship and take shuttle to port gate and walk to train. Buy BIRG ticket. Take train to the Termini (end of line). ?Take some form of transport to Palatine to get inclusive ticket for Palatine, Colosseum and Forum. See the 3. Walk or transport to Piazza Navona for lunch. Walk or transport to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Catch train back to Ottaviano station (? or closer) to see Vatican/St. Peter's. Train back to ship.

Can anyone help with whether I can walk or need to take transport at anywhere along the route?

First make sure you are off the ship immediately as you they call for passengers to disembark. You have a big day ahead. I think it is a very aggressive plan.Going to Palantine Hill, Colosseum and the Forum and then Lunch in the Piazza is going to take a major part of your day and it will be rushing. If you want to stop by the vatican on your way to the ship, it will be a quick peek. Meaning you will not have time to go inside the Basicilia or the muesum. Pick one r the other. We spent one day at the Vatican and they tell you could spend 11 years and not see the entire place.

Get off ship and take shuttle to port gate and walk to train. Buy BIRG ticket. Take train to the Termini (end of line). ?Take some form of transport Walk to Termini Metro station which is right next to Termini RR station and use your BIRG ticket to ride the Metro free to Colosseo stop -- fastest way and you exit right in front of Colosseum to Palatine to get inclusive ticket for Palatine, Colosseum and Forum. Buy your ticket in advance online to save time if you need the website just ask and someone will post it. See the 3. If you really plan to see all 3 you're probably talking 3 hrs of time.

Walk or transport to Piazza Navona for lunch. It's a nice walk from the Forum area to Piazza Navona but will probably take about 30 mins at a good clip, plus time for lunch at Navona. I'd suggest you get a taxi at Piazza Venezia (next to the Forum) instead.

Walk or transport to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Walking from Piazza Navona to Spanish Steps you should also not miss the Pantheon which is directly on your route, then Trevi Fountain and finishing at the Steps -- takes about another 30 minutes plus any stops along the way.

Catch train back to Ottaviano station (? or closer) to see Vatican/St. Peter's. Take the Metro right at the Spanish steps (entrance is to the left as you are facing the steps) to Ottaviano, which is the closest stop to St Peters. I can't imagine you'd have time to do anything other than see the outside if you do all of the above first.

Train back to ship.

See my suggestions above. To do Rome in one day, I think you have to decide which is more important to you: Vatican or Ancient Rome. If it is the Vatican, then I'd not bother buying tickets for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill; just view them from the outside. If it is Ancient Rome, then the plan above (with my suggestions) will make for a FULL day but doable if you are fast sightseers.

I'll also offer my humble opinion that Piazza Navona is somewhat overrated. I find it very touristy (it's a little better at night) and except for the gorgeous fountains, not really worth it. You could just go straight to the Pantheon from the Forum area and have lunch in the piazza in front -- much nicer IMHO.

Also, the Spanish Steps are really nothing great. Unless you "have" to see them (and you won't have time to enjoy the luxury shopping on via Condotti at any rate...), you might consider finding the Barberini Metro station after viewing Trevi fountain and heading to the Vatican from there.

I remember my first trip to Rome. I was surprised to find that the Spanish Steps are just that--steps! Interesting to say that you've been there but not worth more than a short viewing--5-10 minutes if that. Trevi Fountain is amazing and beautiful, but you don't need to spend any amount of time there. Last time I was there it was VERY crowded and it's a great pickpocketing spot, so be aware. I've even seen You Tube videos of pickpockets in action. Worth seeing IMO but you can be in and out of there, so to speak, in 5-10 minutes.

I believe you can do everything on your itinerary, but grab a quick lunch and keep moving. You won't have time, as Cynthia said, to do more than see the Vatican from the outside--which is a shame. If it were me, I would do the Vatican more fully, then do a cruise by the other sites--there is a lot more to absorb at the Vatican; the others, if you are doing them without a guide, is just looking around and trying to imagine how it was back when. Palatine and the Forum are mostly just ruins, with a few walls and columns standing--if you don't have a guide giving you the historical context, it is not all that meaningful IMO only!

Good luck--and wear comfortable shoes!!

Cathy

I would also say that both ancient Rome and Vatican deserve at least a day each but you can manage to see part of both if you adjust your plan just a bit.

After having visited Palatine, Colosseum and Forum go by taxi or bus to the Trevi fountain. Walk from there to the Piazza Navonna with the Pantheon en route. Skip the Spanish steps and enjoy sandwiches (for example "tramezzini" with prosciutto and mozarella ...) or pizza, to be eaten right in a bar or somewhere outside at a fountain or on a nice square instead of a full meal.

From the Piazza Navonna take a bus or taxi (maybe 5 or 10 minutes depending on traffic) to St. Peter's Square. There should be enough time left to visit the basilica from the inside.

We are planning a similar itinerary for our 1-day (Easter Sunday) in Rome...

First off the ship (8:00am) & catch ealiest train in to Termini (BRIG pass)

Then in no particular order yet, St. Peter's basillica (go inside), Papel blessing at St. Peter's square at noon, Panthenon, Collesseum (go inside), Forum, Palentin Hill. We will get our combo pass for Coll/Forum/Palentine before we arrive. Light lunch anywhere along the way. Ship departs 8:00pm. Would like to get back though around 7:00.

Doable?

mwc0914, timewise it would be doable, but ...

- On Easter Sunday a grand papal mass is celebrated on St. Peter's square. To my knowledge it is not possible to visit the basilica during this time. You should plan this for the afternoon. Or you attend the mass which really is a worthwhile experience, visit the basilica as soon as it opens (maybe around 1pm) and see how much time is left afterwards for the ruins.

- I would plan on returning earlier. A 8pm departure implies a 7.30 all aboard and probably a last shuttle at 7pm. And you still have to walk to the port entrance. A train that leaves stazione S. Pietro around 5pm would allow some safety margin.

Palatine and the Forum are mostly just ruins, with a few walls and columns standing--if you don't have a guide giving you the historical context, it is not all that meaningful IMO only!

Cathy

You did NOT just say that!!! :D

I'm going to pretend I didn't see it...;)

LOL! I KNEW that was coming!!

I made the mistake of going there the first time having done no research and totally unprepared for what I was going to see--so if you are dumb like me and do it that way, you don't get a lot out of it!!! I would much rather pay for a guide there than in the Vatican Museums, for instance. I can look at the art and semi-appreciate it, but making sense all of the buildings and parts of buildings, and making them come alive, is something I need professional help for! That's the basis of my comment--of course, the ideal is to have weeks there and a knowledgable guide to be with you every step of the way--alas, not in the cards for most of us :(. I am desperately trying to figure out a way to get back in '09. . .go, economy, GO!

Cathy

LOL! I KNEW that was coming!!

I made the mistake of going there the first time having done no research and totally unprepared for what I was going to see--so if you are dumb like me and do it that way, you don't get a lot out of it!!! I would much rather pay for a guide there than in the Vatican Museums, for instance. I can look at the art and semi-appreciate it, but making sense all of the buildings and parts of buildings, and making them come alive, is something I need professional help for! That's the basis of my comment--of course, the ideal is to have weeks there and a knowledgable guide to be with you every step of the way--alas, not in the cards for most of us :(. I am desperately trying to figure out a way to get back in '09. . .go, economy, GO!

Cathy

That's okay.....after 4 visits to the Sistine chapel, I've decided it's just a nicely proportioned room with a good paint job. JUST KIDDING, of course!

I know it's all relative. When I look at the Forum (and other piles of rocks), I can somehow envision it as it was. The first time I got to the Forum as an adult, I remember just sitting on a bench and literally feeling like the wind had been knocked out of me. (Gobsmacked, I think the Brits say.....)

I felt that way in Delos--it seemed like I could feel the breeze as the ancient Greeks brushed past me on their way to the agora--it was creepy but fascinating at the same time. Such a strange day--Delos in the AM, hardly anyone on the whole island, and then in the afternoon we were on Super Paradise in Mykonos watching the nude volleyball--that was over a decade ago and I am still having a hard time with it! Talk about a contrast!

Cathy

Thanks to everyone! I will definitely adjust my itinerary...I knew I would be pushing it but am glad to hear various suggestions instead! I was saving the Vatican area for last as I had heard that afternoon, the lines can be shorter. What if I reversed the order and did a moderate pace around Vatican and then went quick pace thru Forum, Colosseum and Palatine...then to Pantheon and quick trip to Trevi and Spanish steps and then back to ship? Decisions...decisions....lol!

I think your time in port will be too short to fit everything in. In total, you'll likely end up with 6 to 6.5 hours in Rome. You'll be able to do a Vatican museum tour (pre-booked to save standing in line), and view the colosseum, forum and palatine hill from the outside, and maybe fit in a few minutes at the Pantheon, Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain.

The forum and palatine hill covers a large area, so a quick walk-through is hard to do. If you are going to see the colosseum quickly, you can just peek thru the many gates from the outside rather than going inside for just a few minutes. Going inside is better, but if you can't fit it in, looking in from the outside isn't a bad alternative.

Just finding your way around Rome to get to all of the places that you want to visit will be a challenge (a taxi might be a good option to get to some sites to save time.)

Enjoy your day in Rome ... it will be a rushed day, but an exciting one...and like many of us here, you'll be planning a return trip after your first visit there!:)

Planning will be the key. If your first stop is either the Colosseum or the Vatican there are closer stops than Termini & you won't be backtracking. Exit Roma Ostiense Station, then transfer to the Blue line B Metro to Colosseo stop & it will save you valuable time. We did the Colosseum first, then took a taxi to the Spanish Steps. Walked to the Pantheon & then the Trevi Fountain. Took a taxi to the Vatican to see the Sistine Chapel. You can get alot done, but planning is the key. Have fun!

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that you can take the train both ways, see Ancient Rome, the Vatican, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon walking from point to point and have a light lunch in 6 hours. I would suggest either going to the Vatican or the Ancient area and doing the other three, taking a Ho Ho tour and driving by everything, or hiring a guide who can take you from one sight to the next (spending a couple of hours each at Ancient Rome and the Vatican and working in as much as possible) and get you back to the ship on time.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that you can take the train both ways, see Ancient Rome, the Vatican, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon walking from point to point and have a light lunch in 6 hours. I would suggest either going to the Vatican or the Ancient area and doing the other three, taking a Ho Ho tour and driving by everything, or hiring a guide who can take you from one sight to the next (spending a couple of hours each at Ancient Rome and the Vatican and working in as much as possible) and get you back to the ship on time.

Here's a trip report from someone who did manage it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627680&highlight=mavismarie+rome

You two Rome experts have me feeling a lot better about my planned itin. We only have one evening, one full day, and one morning in Rome. THis is first trip to this city.

My plan is this (stop me if you think I'm making a mistake)

Rick Steves night walking tour - after we get in at 3pm

Full day: guided tours of the Collisseum, Forum, and Palentine Hill (actually, two group tours - using Through Eternity)

Morning - Borghese Gallery and Etruscan museum using a private tour with Through Eternity.

We will save the Vatican, et al for the next trip.

Kate, you are lucky to have more time. We spent six hours on guided tours of the Colosseum and the Forum as you probably will. Because the sights are spread out, it's hard to see everything in a short period of time. But Rome is so appealing that it makes you want to return, no matter what.

Does anyone care to comment about my proposed plan? I have already been to the Vatican so I will save that to the end if there is time. I would rather see lots of things rather than a few things in depth. Andy, thank you for the suggestion about the Ostiense Station. I would have taken the train to the main terminal. I now plan to take the train to the Ostiense Station and take the blue line Metro to the Colosseum. Walk around and peek in. Then look at Constatine's arch. Then take the bus or walk up past the Roman Forum and the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, make a left on Via Plebscito and a right Corso del Rinascimento to look at the Piazza Navono and the Pantheon. Then walk back (or take a cab) and go to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Following this route I will end at the Spanish Steps Metro stop which can take us to the train back to the ship. If there is time after the Spanish Steps, we could take the Metro to St. Peters Square and then take the train to the ship.

KC, thank you. I like to think you CAN teach an old dog new tricks...and our first trip to Italy taught me to SLOW DOWN. Three days in Venice was not enough. THere was magic around every corner, and wonderful Italians who want to tell you about their country. The first trip we did very little PLANNED sightseeing, and saw/felt more in our vaporetto aND side-street wanderings than I thought possible. THis time we are going for four days. I'm hoping to get to L'Accademia this trip - but if an unplanned stop at a wine bar precludes it...c'est la vie.

I've already decided this trip to Rome is just a first chapter (but one I want to be somewhat indepth for our time there)- our next trip will be 5 days in Rome, with an outlier trip (everyones description of Hadrian's Villa intrigues!), and then 5 days in Florence/Umbria. I had thought that I would do a Livorno stop on perhaps another Med cruise, but this board has really shown me that would be a waste.

One thing I am concerned about is the amount of reading I feel I should do prior to our Borghese Gallery experience. While I will rely on our guide, it is up to me to gain some measure of knowledge of baroque artists to gain context for what the guide can share.

Ciao!

Does anyone care to comment about my proposed plan? I have already been to the Vatican so I will save that to the end if there is time. I would rather see lots of things rather than a few things in depth. Andy, thank you for the suggestion about the Ostiense Station. I would have taken the train to the main terminal. I now plan to take the train to the Ostiense Station and take the blue line Metro to the Colosseum. Walk around and peek in. Then look at Constatine's arch. Then take the bus or walk up past the Roman Forum and the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, make a left on Via Plebscito and a right Corso del Rinascimento to look at the Piazza Navono and the Pantheon. Then walk back (or take a cab) and go to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Following this route I will end at the Spanish Steps Metro stop which can take us to the train back to the ship. If there is time after the Spanish Steps, we could take the Metro to St. Peters Square and then take the train to the ship.

That's doable. You forgot to add- have a gelato at Piazza Navona and people watch for a little while!

Our last trip to Italy was almost three years ago. We had flight delays and issues that totally stressed us out and by the time we got to Rome, we had about 4 hours total sleep in the previous 2 days. Our first day we managed Campo de Fiori and Piazza Navonna and the Pantheon and a walk down to the Forum and towards the Colosseum (Forum was free then), and back to our hotel with an hours nap somewhere in the middle of all this, then a nice dinner and finally a big crash. Leaving the Vatican to last and realizing that you may only see St. Peter's Square, I think you can do all of this. Just keep your train schedule in the back of your mind and be open to missing some of the things you want to see and you'll be fine. Since we'll be back in Rome not too long from now, we hope you have a wonderful time no matter what you work in.

AndynApril...when you say that I can exit the Roma Ostiense station....isn't that coming from the airport? We are coming from Civitavecchia ...the Rome guide book I have has a small map showing Metro A and B, Fiumicino (what does this word mean?). If I was coming from the airport I see how that works better.

cruisemom...thanks for that thread...that was amazing! She was saying how she used a taxi..would that be because it is quicker?

AndynApril...when you say that I can exit the Roma Ostiense station....isn't that coming from the airport? We are coming from Civitavecchia ...the Rome guide book I have has a small map showing Metro A and B, Fiumicino (what does this word mean?). If I was coming from the airport I see how that works better.

cruisemom...thanks for that thread...that was amazing! She was saying how she used a taxi..would that be because it is quicker?

Yes, it's a way to save some time......in MOST cases. Although Rome traffic is notoriously bad and you can sometimes get there faster on foot.

It's a trade-off; it's much more interesting to walk. If there was one area in particular I'd say is worth walking vs taxi, it's the stretch from the Pantheon to Trevi (and then to the Spanish Steps, if you choose to continue on...) Except for a major street or two, it's a very pedestrian-friendly walk through the old centro storico.

Ah, the taxi may not be faster, it depends on traffic. We beat all the traffic, taxis, buses, etc. from Ponte Sisto Bridge to S. Peter's Square by walking. Sometimes hoofing it is the fastest, you just have to look around to judge. If you are starting with metro or train, look for the closest stop to where your first destination is and go there first.

Archived