when to start packing....

I always pack the day before we leave for the cruise.

I have it all down to a science.

For several years I've kept a spreadsheet of what I need for a 14 night, 7 night, and 4 night cruise. When I buy new clothes I update it.

Very simple.

Packing probably takes me an hour or so. :):):)

Oh my gosh, my husband is making me crazy....We leave on the LOS on Saturday and our flight leaves at 5:45 am. I have been lectured the last several days that I needed to get packed because lights are out at 7:00 pm on Friday. I had to remind him that it is still light out at 7:00. He says we must get plenty of sleep before we get up at 2:00 am or we will be up 36 hours. He better be careful or he will be the next overboard..Just kidding :) Can't wait. I actually did pack tonight, whew 1 night earlier then normal.

What a cute thread!

I bought new clothes for my kids and immediately put them in the suitcase so they would not wear them and ruin them. So they have been packed for a few weeks now! :) If I didn't, the clothes would be lost somewhere in their rooms, never to be seen again.

For business trips, that's another matter... I am lucky if I am packed the night before! But that I have down to a science :D

Totally agree! The business packing is so easy. Black shoes, black belt, a couple of shirts and a slacks, some work out clothes and I'm off--usually to Dallas.

But, the cruise packing is always more complex. You need evening wear and day wear!

As I am writing this, my wife is sitting across from me sewing a strap on her dress and DD is scurrying around trying to throw everything in a suitcase before school tomorrow.

Me, I'm chilling. Got the morning to pack tomorrow. One tux, some bathing suits, a tommy bahama shirt or two, and I'm ready to go!

I have a permanent packing list on the computer, I just tweak the clothing choices for each trip. We pull the clothes/shoes/underwear/jewelry etc... out of the closet and drawers a few days in advance. We don't pack it into the suitcases until the last hour or two before we leave. If it's a real early morning we pack before going to bed.

We have a rolling rack and it's all either hung or folded underneath, with accessories hanging in pouches over the hanger.

The toiletry kit is packed all the time. You need the same stuff whether you go for a night or a month so I just have duplicates of everything needed. It saves so much time and stress over making a long list of little things.

I have learned that this is the best way for us, we don't take too much and don't leave anything crucial behind.

:D hee hee This IS a cute thread!

I have the same rolling rack! My DH thinks I am insane... but I can see what will mix and match. It isn't all crowded in with the other clothes. I set up a whole command center for packing. Of course our last few cruises have been long European trips. It takes a lot of planning. My poor husband... the last time we went I washed all his socks and made him wear these mismatched socks that were left in the drawer to the gym. All the others were packed and ready for morning.

I have the packing list on a pad. Have you seen these? They are the bomb and have EVERYTHING! They are great!

I gotta know... how many OCD packers are the MEN?? I've seen a few... there must be a few more out there?

I think I start packing early because it brings me closer to my vacation. Not because I am sick and twisted. (tell this to yourself... it helps!):D

Oh my gosh, my husband is making me crazy....We leave on the LOS on Saturday and our flight leaves at 5:45 am. I have been lectured the last several days that I needed to get packed because lights are out at 7:00 pm on Friday. I had to remind him that it is still light out at 7:00.

As my hubby once quoted to our son (as son complained about having to go to bed while it was still light out) "Close your eyes, it will be dark!" :)

Have a great trip!

i'm going to try to leave the office at 2ish today and head home to take the 10 or 15 minutes to pack...i have an idea of what i need and the suitcase is open an ready...the cat was protecting it last night...i think he knows that something is up...i'm not quite sure why my dear wife took the smaller of the 2 that i brought up from the baseement last weekend to use...and then she said that she thinks she brought toooo many tank tops...and yes ladies the toes and fingers look wonderful...and i even took time out from my hockey game last night to take our 20 yr old grocery shopping so there can be food in the house next week...i just pushed the cart as we went up and down the isles...and 82.00 later we went home...something tells me that these kids don't know that there is a store brand for every national brand and we could have spent 15 or 20 less then the 82.00 but whatever...the weather has warmed in mpls...16 ABOVE this morning and up to 35 today...see everyone sunday morning at the pier...we should be there around 11ish...

Actually, I stick one bag out a couple months in advance and whenever I run upon something I want to take alone, especially something that is unusual or could be forgotten, I toss it in the bag. Actual packing takes place about a week or so in advance.

My clothes don't actually go into the suitcase until the night before.. that's part of my vacation ritual...pack the clothes then head out for dinner & an umbrella drink...I'm on vacation mode... I usually have everything laid out on the bed in the spare room starting about a month before my trip.. toiletry & 1st aid kits stay packed.. and in 32 years my Dh NEVER packed a bag.. made it much less stressful for me to just do it myself...:D

I'm afraid I pack for all 4 of us!

If I let my DD's pack, we would end up with a suitcase full of Barbies!

I always packed weeks ahead, but we leave next week and I haven't taken the suitcases down yet.

I do the rolling hanger rack as well. It's a great way to see everything.

I do know what to bring now, and maybe thats why, I'm not worried.

All I can say is hellllooo Mariner next week:D

4cruisecapmers see you next week...poolside sunday afternnon...2nd deck of the pool by the pool bar...let the tanning begin...2pm i'm heading home to begin the packing...off to the airport at 9am in the morning...starting me packing a little early this trip...must be the outside pressure...only kidding...about the pr4essure stuff...still have not yet packed...

Oh Mike.......your house sounds like our house. I'm the organized one.........packed and ready to leave 5 days before we leave. My husband is like you.........."what's the rush" type of guy. Makes me a nervous wreck.

Have a great cruise...............:D

i am like you!!! lol....dh, for the last 2 cruises we took together, waited till the morning we either flew out or drove to bayonne....then it is rush rush and he always forgets something and blames it on me!!! lol...i actually have my hanging clothes, hanging on my closet door right now for the mariner next month....will probably bring up the suitcases within the next 2 weeks and pack the none wrinkly items and wait till the night before for the hanging clothes....

I have stuff laying all over the spare bedroom and we don't leave for 3 weeks! I will start checking it off the list tomorrow and putting things in suitcases.

Best way not to have DH drive me nuts - we have been married for 27 years and HE DOES NOT PACK HIS SUITCASE - I DO!!! That way I can make sure he has everything I want him to have. Luckily for me, he has no desire to do his own packing-heck he pretty much lets me plan it all - we agree what ship and from there it is all mine to decide.

I know it would not work for a lot of people, but for us it does. He doesn't want to mess with planning or packing, so is thrilled that I am so organized and take care of everything for him. He just wants me to tell him where/when/what time and he is good!

2 hrs from now i'm leaving the office (it will be here when i get back on the 23rd) and i'm heading home to pack...my wife just called and said that the kids are heading to the lake and do i want her to start packing my stuff...nope...i'll take care ot it...i knoW what i want and need and it will only take 10 or 15 minutes max...she did print the board passes and is checking with northwest to see if they have any room up in first class and see if they will give it to us for 100.00 per person...if not i'm happy in the back...we do have a balcony cabin on the MARINER OF THE SEA'S

Ok I guess I am the worst here. I start packing the day I book my crusie. No really, I start with some really minor thing just to make it all real. Then I do a little something as the weeks move on. Keeps me going. Good thing we have a guest room. Also took the 4th bedroom in our new home and made it a closet with two professional clothing racks and a five tier shelving rack. Works great. The one thing I found was that I have way to many clothes!! Now that I am retired I will work on thining them out I guess. One always needs a project.

reporting back...i'm done packing and we tgetting picked up in 2 hrs to head for the airport and our pre-nite in san pedro...it took me apprx 20 minutes to get it done...and lot's of room left...

I thought I would be the one to start packing already. Nope, I have a list of what I need to pack, how many of an item and even have a column to check off when packed and another column to put if we used the item so we don't overpack for our September cruise that we have to fly to get to. My DH has surprised me and already has our bags out and all of his toiletries are packed and his clothes are picked out. Hasn't packed them yet because he is trying to avoid having everything wrinkled. Since we leave next Sunday, I should get on the ball. :p

Archived