when to start packing....

we are leaving at 9am for the airport on saturday monring...my lovley and favorite wife is telling me to start packing...OK FELLOW CRUISE CRITIC GEEKSTERS OUT THERE...I'M GOING TO LET YOU TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD START PACKING FOR THE MARINER OF THE SEA'S...i pretty much know what i'm going to take it just hasn't come out of the closet or draws yet...my wife is totally packed and waiting down stairs for the cab...and yes this is our 17th cruise...13th with rccl...what's the rush...

oh ya i forgot to tell you this...in 5 minutes my wife and all of the other ladies in our group from minneapolis are heading off to get there toes and nails done...i think i'll stay home and have left overs tonight...clean out the refig. before leaving town...me and the dog and cat will chow down...and watch hockey...

we are leaving at 9am for the airport on saturday monring...my lovley and favorite wife is telling me to start packing...OK FELLOW CRUISE CRITIC GEEKSTERS OUT THERE...I'M GOING TO LET YOU TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD START PACKING FOR THE MARINER OF THE SEA'S...i pretty much know what i'm going to take it just hasn't come out of the closet or draws yet...my wife is totally packed and waiting down stairs for the cab...and yes this is our 17th cruise...13th with rccl...what's the rush...

Oh Mike.......your house sounds like our house. I'm the organized one.........packed and ready to leave 5 days before we leave. My husband is like you.........."what's the rush" type of guy. Makes me a nervous wreck.

Have a great cruise...............:D

You mean you were'nt packed two weeks ago:eek:!!!!

JK-I start making lists and pulling stuff out weeks before and lay it all out in the spare bedroom.

But if you dont start packing soon your wife might leave w/out you!!

We're leaving this Saturday on LOS and I started laying everything out on Sunday. Mainly just so I can do a little at a time and not have to be going crazy tonight (since we are leaving early in the morning for Miami). I was about 90% packed last night, just have to insert a few odds and ends and we're ready to go!

I do all the packing now. I left my DH do his own packing for a land based vacation one time. Guess what happened? He didn't pack any underwear. That did it. No more letting him pack. I start packing about 1 1/2 wks ahead.

Judi :)

Our cruise is in about 3 weeks. I started packing last night. There is 7 of us so we have a lot of packing to do. I like to start early that way if I'm missing something I still have time to go shopping and find it!

I probably would have had all my stuff packed weeks ago but I've been losing weight and I'm trying to wait as long as possible so I know what sizes to pack!

Last Oct we were on a 12 day Med cruise and we traveled for 4 days ahead of time. My DH (who does all his own) packed at 9pm the night before. He managed to get it all together. I had taken care of all the other details and packing of the odd little things you need. Somehow it all comes together or you buy what you forgot!!;)

Depending on the trip, I start gathering stuff a week or two before, and start making final cuts 3-4 days out.

DH is responsible for his own stuff. If he forgets underwear, that's his problem. That's how I was raised. No socks? Guess you won't wear any. Forgot a toothbrush? Use your finger. no joke.

Of course, as an adult with a good job, if we forget something, we can buy it while on the trip. I try to not obsess. But last thing I want to do on a cruise is have to find a bathing suit. I refuse to forget that!

For vacations, I start packing and getting everything at the house ready as far ahead of time as possible - 3-4 weeks before, if possible. The reason being that I don't want to be running around like a crazy person the day before we leave, and stressing out right before my vacation starts :eek:

For business trips, that's another matter... I am lucky if I am packed the night before! But that I have down to a science :D

For our last cruise I had some stuff packed a month before. We cruise in the fall so when I was putting all my summer clothes in boxes for the winter I just put the clothes I was taking on the cruise in my suitcase. I then finished my packing a day or two before. However, I did start a list of stuff to pack about 1-2 weeks before.

My DH is like you. But he also takes too much! He basically dumps everything in the suitcase! lol. I travel light and make sure I have everything. I start packing as soon as something is washed and I know I won't wear it again before the cruise. (Except a new dress that's hanging in the closet.) I say, start tonight... Just to make wifey happy. Never hurts to start out that way on vacation.:cool:

My husband drives me crazy with starting to analyze, count, pack a couple weeks before. He has actually starting the irritation now for our cruise next month. I will finally be able to enjoy the anticipation AFTER we are on the plane to FL

I on the other hand, make sure I take a couple things to the dry cleaners a few days before...and then pack the day before.

I like to start gathering things about a month before maybe even more than that, but I'm very ocd so that could be a reason :D My hubby on the other hand packs the NIGHT before and has yet to forget anything! He makes constant fun of me! Happy crusing :)

I hate packing and usually don't even start until the evening of. Sometimes the day I leave. Never ran into a problem or forgot anything. I make a check list about a week prior and as I think of items, I write it down. As I pack it, I cross it off. Works great! :D

My DH is like you. But he also takes too much! He basically dumps everything in the suitcase! lol.

Sounds just like my hubby.:rolleyes: He will start to pack about midnight (or later) before we leave. He has learned that if he chooses to pack this way be better not ask me "where is...." or "do we have any ....?". (I went ballistic on him once before a trip because I had asked him about a week before if he needed anything!!!) He has also forgotten stuff too and tends to bring more than he really wears/needs. As long as we are not cross-packing, I really don't care when he packs. Me, I'm ready about a week before (but have made lists and thought about it for at least a month before that!)

oh ya i forgot to tell you this...in 5 minutes my wife and all of the other ladies in our group from minneapolis are heading off to get there toes and nails done....

Absolutely necessary sir! Mine will be done tomorrow. You see no grody toes on the Mariner next week on this girl. I'm glad to to know all of the Minneapolis toes will be properly clad as well. See you Sunday at the pool bar or Monday at the M & M.

I have a permanent packing list on the computer, I just tweak the clothing choices for each trip. We pull the clothes/shoes/underwear/jewelry etc... out of the closet and drawers a few days in advance. We don't pack it into the suitcases until the last hour or two before we leave. If it's a real early morning we pack before going to bed.

We have a rolling rack and it's all either hung or folded underneath, with accessories hanging in pouches over the hanger.

The toiletry kit is packed all the time. You need the same stuff whether you go for a night or a month so I just have duplicates of everything needed. It saves so much time and stress over making a long list of little things.

I have learned that this is the best way for us, we don't take too much and don't leave anything crucial behind.

I am the same, almost word-for-word. I keep lists - and keep tweaking my lists for perfection. About a day before I assemble the suitcase - but my travel kit is always packed, not just toiletries but sundry items, hair goods, etc. one might need on any trip. Having lists keeps me from overpacking - something so easy to do for a cruise.

Pack tonight and double check that you have everything you need before going to bed on Friday.

Brother and SIL are going on their first cruise late May. BIL started packing last FALL.......No kidding. It was Halloween when I noticed the open suitcase with things in it. We had dinner together several weeks ago. He said other than personal items, he's ready. I am excited for them. I can't really help too much because they are crusing Carnival.

I start packing about 4 days prior. I make a list, check it twice, pack a little something naughty and nice :D

DH packs his own and does it about 2 days before.

Archived