What's not to be missed on the QM2?

Chuck & Phyllis

no, a caribbean cruise. our waiter at Brittania told us that on the last two night for dinner - they kick it up a notch to leave the passengers with a memory of the last two meals. Chateaubriand and lobster tail for example. Baked alaska, etc.

• 2 months later...

I have to say it's all wonderful, But I vote for making sure you take the time to have cocktails in the Commodore Club while looking over the great expanse of open sea in front of you. It's womnderfully sedate and relaxing. During cocktails, there is a piano player on the port/non-smoking side. It seems that not many passengers seem to make their way up this this location. Those that did, became part of a regular set during our June 9 crossing.

It's also a great place to quietly enjoy a good book with a cappuccino or brandy in hand. If your server requests that he let you cerve the cappuccino in a glass instead of a cup, let him. Oddly enough it was better and he took such pride in his service.

Todd English was absolutely wonderful. Do NOT miss. We booked on the non-formal night in the middle of the crossing. Unbelievable food and service. Worth every penny of the $30 pp surcharge (and we are very loathe to spend money on specialty restaurants on a cruise ship). :)

Hi Elaine!

WOW, that is a long cruise.

My husband is already planning more than one night at Todd English on our next crossing (date unplanned as yet). I read in one posting that one should consider taking an inside stateroom and spending the extra money to eat at TE every night!!!! A little overboard I think as the dining room is great. TE has its own kitchen where the chef prepares the food just for that restaurant.

My input after sailing over 33 days in the last nearly 18 months on the QM2 is the Canyon Ranch Spa. I LOVE that spa and the services. I ended every day there at 6:00pm for a service on my various cruises/crossing.

A close 2nd is the Planetarium. I love listening to Harrison Ford's narration...

Finally, the Fish & CHips or the Bangers & Mash at The Golden Lion Pub at lunchtime.

Bon voyage

There were a lot of broken seats in the Planetarium in April/May which was quite mildly distressing as one had to check and couldn't always change seats before the start of the show. Didn't try the spa, but the Canyon Ranch toiletries were lovely (in the staterooms...although the QM2 tended to refer to them as 'CABINS!!!!' ugh ugh).

Can't wait to go back!!!!!!!

Gillian, we are doing west and east transatlantic and then splendours of the falls inbetween. I do not fly so this is my only opportunity to visit the states with husband and kids. They don't have a problem flying but prefer to cruise because it is just so relaxing. Both the kids have been to the US and Canada on several occasions. I have been to New York once when my daughter was 9 months old (going to be 22 in Oct) and when they were about 5 & 7 we went to club med in Florida. I last flew about 10 years ago now. I make myself so ill and everyone elses life a misery it just isn't worth the aggravation. And like I say there is no better way to relax IMHO than cruising the ocean blue!!

Thanks Cruisr for your advice re the spa. I can feel a back,neck and head massage looming!!!!

I was going to buy my own mouton brown toiletries but as Gillian says that the toiletries in the cabin are lovely I'll give them a try. Means more room in the suitcases for the shoes!!

Think we'll have to try the fish and chips and the bangers and mash. I believe it's quite difficult getting lunch in the golden lion most days. Any tips on the best time of day to go in there. On P & O at buffet lunch we always found it best to go just before they were getting ready to close down as the crowd had just about disappeared and we had no problems getting lunch or a table.

Elaine

Think we'll have to try the fish and chips and the bangers and mash. I believe it's quite difficult getting lunch in the golden lion most days. Any tips on the best time of day to go in there. Elaine

Elaine - I went down just before 12 as the quiz was finishing and before they started serving food - got a table then. The challenge is avoiding the smokers if you are a non-smoker....and I can highly recommend the steak & kidney pie too - on a par with Rules in Covent Garden.

Peter

ps I always thought it was Molton Brown? Any road up - the Canyon Ranch stuff in the cabin is jolly good.

Guernseyguy!

We will be at Rules on the 14th - the day before we sail. Hope it really lives up to the expectations. This holiday is about self-indulgence all the way. Only 6 weeks now till we board the big silver bird for the UK via Raffles in Singapore. I can't wait! Reading all these postings is making me both obsessive and very, very impatient. I send all my team mates at work an email everymorning which is just one number less than yesterday's. They are sooooo fed up already. (Not really, they love me to death.) Does anyone else get so obessive? Can it be cured, is all I ask myself.

PS - It's Moulton Brown :)

Guernseyguy!

We will be at Rules on the 14th - the day before we sail. Hope it really lives up to the expectations. This holiday is about self-indulgence all the way. Only 6 weeks now till we board the big silver bird for the UK via Raffles in Singapore. I can't wait! Reading all these postings is making me both obsessive and very, very impatient. I send all my team mates at work an email everymorning which is just one number less than yesterday's. They are sooooo fed up already. (Not really, they love me to death.) Does anyone else get so obessive? Can it be cured, is all I ask myself.

Zipper25 - have a great time! I was there last week - the Steak & Kidney pie was excellent - but then again so too was the QM2's so you can always try something else!

Peter

PS In the UK, they call themselves Molton Brown: http://www.moltonbrown.co.uk/uk/index.html

Perhaps they change names mid-Atlantic?:)

ps I always thought it was Molton Brown? Any road up - the Canyon Ranch stuff in the cabin is jolly good.

Yes I think your right Peter. I have misspelled!! It is Molton Brown!! I especially like their heavenly gingerfly shower gel. You only need a little on one of those buffer sponges and there's enough to do you whole body!! So although it is really expensive it is also quite economical in that respect. I shall leave my own stuff at home though and just use what they have onboard QM2. A change is as good as a rest as my mother would say!!!!

Thanks

Elaine

Guernseyguy!

Does anyone else get so obessive? Can it be cured, is all I ask myself.

Zipper 25

I have mis spelt!! It is Molton Brown!!

Anyway, yes I am just as obsessive!!!! We are now booked up until Dec 2006 for all of my husbands holiday entitlement. After QM2 we are off on Oriana for Xmas. Then July 06 we are going to give the new Arcadia a try after our ships visit we were very impressed and hubby thought it great that it was an adult only ship. Then we are on Aurora for Xmas 06. As I am familiar though with P & O I really am more excited about my QM2 trip because this is going to be a whole new experience for us as a family. My husband and I have been on the QE2 a few times and my daughter went when she was about 11/12 months old. She will be 22 years old when we are on QM2.

Anyway, you enjoy your trip. Your journey over sounds interesting. And let us hear all about your time on QM2.

Elaine

Peter: you mentioned avoiding the smoke in one of the Kings Court restaurants. I was under the impression that all restaurants on the QM2 were smoke free?

Or, do we have to request a non smoking area in the Brittania? Smoke really bothers us. Non smoking areas in restaurants really are not that effective.

Grace

Peter: you mentioned avoiding the smoke in one of the Kings Court restaurants. I was under the impression that all restaurants on the QM2 were smoke free?,Or, do we have to request a non smoking area in the Brittania? Smoke really bothers us. Non smoking areas in restaurants really are not that effective. Grace

Grace, my reference was to the Golden Lion - sorry if that was not clear. You are quite correct - the other areas are smoke free.

Peter

Zipper, Your reference to Raffles in Singapore and Rules in London make me smile - 2 of our favorite places! we had a wonderful birthday lunch celebration at raffles in singapore during QE2's 2004 World Cruise. In the gift shop UPSTAIRS BY THE MUSEUM they had for sale reporduction vintage luggage tags...how I wish I had bought several packages. Raffles is really special. As for the oldest restaurant in the British Empire, we seem to order the same menu we ordered the first time, even though they are famous for their game, we love the dover sole for 2, chips, spinach and a delicious desert with rasberries, Enjoy!!!

Well, well, well

That'll teach me not to trust "google". You wouldn't believe the references to Moulton Brown toiletries that pop up. Thanks for the correction!

Does the QM2 have a trouser waistband-letting-out service? After all this S&K pie I think I am going to need such a service big time.

What on earth do people do post-cruise. There must be lot's of sad ex-queen passengers who descend into the blues! I am already planning my next four and I haven't been on the first yet. I might hate it!!!!

Wotec

Thanks for the nice words. I too adore Raffles though have only stayed there once before. Even the Long Bar, whose original location is lost in the mists of time, still has a special fascination for me - and afternoon tea is just to die for. I guess living so close to Singers is one of the few advantages of residing in the Colonies!

I guess living so close to Singers is one of the few advantages of residing in the Colonies!

Zipper25 - well at least you live on the right (or left!) side of Oz - which I once heard described as '19 million people on the wrong side of a desert!'

I too love Raffles - especially the wonderful mess you can make in the Long Bar with all those peanut husks - at first in 'superclean flog'em for littering Singapore' it takes a bit of getting used to....but once you get started......

You could do a comparison and rate Raffles Singapore Sling with the QM2's & let us know!;)

Peter

Zipper 25

I always get the post cruise blues. Especially as the ships have become our home for 20 odd nights. Also my favourite ship to date is Aurora and I always feel like I am going home the minute I step on board her. The familiar faces of the staff who always remember our names (how do they do that with all the faces they must see time and time again)???

I am even getting pre cruise blues because I just cannot wait any longer to sample the delights of the QM2 after reading all these wonderful reports. Reckon were in for something special (and that was the whole idea in the first place as it is a belated celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary that was back in February).

Elaine

Elaine61,

I can definitely relate to the pre-cruise blues. For our recent trip aboard QM2 last March I found myself often becoming exasperated that the days weren't dwindling at a fast enough pace.

I hope I have made an effort to subdue the post-cruise blues by booking a trip on QM2 for July of 2006. At any rate reading these wonderful reviews and convening with the fine folks here at Cruise Critics helps to while away the hours...If I only had a lifetime Cunard pass.

Cruiserking

Archived