What's not to be missed on the QM2?

Chuck & Phyllis

Thanks for all of the things not to miss on the QM2. I've been copying and pasting these onto a Word document, so that we can refer to them on our 12/8 cruise. We wanted to be on the portside, but we'll miss seeing the sunsets from our balcony. We'll be sure to go to the Commodore Club, especially since we'll be on the 11th deck. It will be a treat to have a balcony, since we were in the inside on our 9/03 crossing on the QE2.

We found the drinks to be reasonably priced on the QE2. Are they reasonably priced on the QM2?

Yes, they certainly are. We found cocktail and wine prices to be very reasonable compared to land-based resorts. Perhaps there is a duty free benefit in the pricing. Don't miss the specialty martini list in the Commodore Club.

Happy sailing!

Elaine:

I see you are a P&O person. Have you tried Princess out of the UK? My mother goes on Princess with us and P&O with my aunt and prefers Princess. My sister is currently on the Sea Princess for 14 days (Norway) and having a blast from her emails. She was on the Sea at the end of May too, on a 7 day Iberian trip.

Nothing, however, has matched the ambiance on the QM2 for us. It was so elegant, but then there were 1500 Europeans and only 500 Americans. We were obviously not full! Veteran Cunard cruisers still told us they prefer the QE2 ("the Mary is a cruise ship and the Lizzie the last of the great ocean liners" according to our fellow passengers on the QM2 in the Spring).However, any cruise is a great cruise and I feel fortunate to be able to cruise so often.

Gillian

Veteran Cunard cruisers still told us they prefer the QE2 ("the Mary is a cruise ship and the Lizzie the last of the great ocean liners" according to our fellow passengers on the QM2 in the Spring).

Gillian,

Best not to disabuse them of their delusion, but BOTH the Lizzie & the Mary were designed as dual purpose liner/cruise ships. The last Cunard 'liner' was the never built Q3 'scrapped' in ~1963 - the QE2 was the Q4 (and if they'd read Ron Warwick's book they'd know this). The QM2 has ably demonstrated this Trans Atlantic season that she is perfectly capable as a liner (job description - maintain timetable point to point whatever the circumstances) maintaining the timetable whatever the weather, diversions into Halifax, man overboard etc. They are entitled to prefer the QE2 (in my view they are so completely 'different' a rational comparison is almost pointless - but a personal 'preference' entirely reasonable) but don't be fobbed off with 'liner' hooey!

Peter

Elaine:

I see you are a P&O person. Have you tried Princess out of the UK?

Hi Gillian

Most of our cruises have been with P & O. I have not tried princess, but it is well worth a thought now that they go out of Southampton. A regular poster on cruise connections (P & O website) has just returned from doing an around britain type cruise on one of the really big princess ships and they thought it was wonderful.

I think there are a couple of other companies this year leaving from Southampton although I have been advised not to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise!! Still I think everyone has differing views so I would probably need to try it for myself.

With regards to the QE2 and I hope I don't offend anyone here, but like Canberra in her later years she really is past it!! My husband and I were last on her in 2002 (last minute trip). We were fortunate enough to have a princess grill cabin which was a nice size with a great walk in wardrobe and a huge bathroom. I found the staircases a bit of a maze at times. It was a lovely break don't get me wrong, I just felt she was showing her age.

Elaine

We were on the QM2 this March. Make sure you go exploring the first day so you know your way around for the rest of the voyage. The QM2 is a bit more complex when it comes to navigating than some other cruise ships because of deck 3L. The Rock at the Opera showtime was grand! Don't miss the great views from the observation deck on 11 forward. The panoramic lifts that span decks 7-13 are often overlooked but offer breathtaking vistas. Todd English dining is a grand affair! Happy Sailing!

Ciaobella:

I'm with you on the the 007. I also like the Blue Sapphire -- gin with a touch of Blue Curacao. Both the Chocolate (always great apres dinner...) and Blue Sapphire were the drink of the day at one point or another.

I was quite taken with the color of the Sapphire offering. Perhaps I thought the drink complemented the QM2 cufflinks my wife presented on board for our 20th. (I now use a photo of them for my signature.) If you look closely, they are custom made cloissone set in 18K; the one of the left shows the stern of the ship leaving New York at sunset while the one of the right shows the bow arriving Southampton in the morning. My nephew who is a master jeweller made them. I wore them proudly!

Best regards,

Dan

My husband loves cufflinks, and he's received some very nice ones over the years thanks to my travels with students! I've been able to surprise him several times. I kept the ones I bought him in Bologna for our 25th for almost a year until our anniversary rolled around. How special to have a family member make yours for this special occasion - that's a souvenir without equal!

Have you ever been to Capri? I'll check out the Blue Sapphire and let you know if the color is similar to the Blue Grotto on Capri.

Ciao!

Cheers to you and your Blue Sapphire! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

You know, it's too bad some of us weren't all on the same boat, so to speak. Pulling many of the folks from this board together would make a great group with terrific conversation!

Oh... and Happy Anniversary to you and yours!

Dan

I totally agree! We have met some very interesting and wonderful people on cruise ships. And, there are folks on these boards I would love to talk to about many things. Maybe someday we will actually all be on the same boat!

Our documents arrived today - whew! I have started packing, and my husband now thinks he needs an extra tux shirt! This is going to be SO MUCH FUN!

We'll have to keep in touch and find out where the anniversary celebrations will be next year!

Thank you!

Nancy

Last time we sailed on the QM2 the gift shop next to Samuels wine bar had bottles of liquor with the picture of the ship in a see thru bottle. The people we brought these back to as souveniers were delighted. Does anyone know if they still sell these?

In my opinion any presentation by Maureen Ryan is not to be missed. She began her career with Cunard on the Queen Mary, served on the QE2 for many years and now brings her special wit, talent and memories as Hostess on the QM2.

We lurked in the background as she hosted a meeting of those who had also sailed on the Queen Mary. (As an aside, one couple sailed to Europe on their honeymoon on the first Queen and were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on the new Queen. They brought their extensive scrapbook along to share with others. Following the honeymoon the husband was to start his first job as an attorney and the fare for a roundtrip transatlantic crossing in Cabin Class was one quarter of his first year's salary!)

Maureen's presentation on the Era of the Transatlantic Queens in the Royal Court Theatre was also memorable. She speaks with such affection about her fleet and the concluding slides and music are so moving that most people had a tear in their eye as they left.

Those esoteric transatlantic pastimes of Napkin Folding and Scarf Tying are made even more memorable by her anecdotes.

Tandemtourer,

Thanks for reminding me about the reunion of those who sailed on the original Queen Mary that is held on each sailing of the QM2. I was fortunate to sail on one of the last voyages of the original Queen Mary and have enjoyed two trips on the QM2. I attended the reunion meetings both times on the QM2.

The reunion is such an interesting meeting and is certainly not limited to original guests. I think anyone with an interest in ships would enjoy this glimpse into maritime history. On our first sailing there were guests who had sailed in first class, soldiers who had sailed during World War II and war brides from WW II who came to the USA on the Queen Mary. On our last sailing there were two crew members from the original Queen Mary who were guests on the QM2. They had fascinating stories to share. If you would enjoy this meeting look for it in the daily programme.

I have missed Maureen Ryan on all three sailings. And from what you report that is quite a shame!! Hopefully I will get to meet her on a future trip.

imacruizer:

I was fortunate to sail on one of the last voyages of the original Queen Mary and have enjoyed two trips on the QM2. I attended the reunion meetings both times on the QM2.

I would be interested to know who hosted the meetings when you were on board. Do they have reunion meetings on cruises as well as crossings?

The reunion is such an interesting meeting and is certainly not limited to original guests. I think anyone with an interest in ships would enjoy this glimpse into maritime history. On our first sailing there were guests who had sailed in first class, soldiers who had sailed during World War II and war brides from WW II who came to the USA on the Queen Mary. On our last sailing there were two crew members from the original Queen Mary who were guests on the QM2. They had fascinating stories to share. If you would enjoy this meeting look for it in the daily programme.

I think that it's an interesting way that Cunard has devised to instill a sense of tradition on the new Queen. Everyone who had sailed on the Queen Mary and found it memorable enough to attend the meeting must have a fascinating story to tell.

Tandemtourer,

You are really testing my memory!!! They do have reunions on both cruises and crossings. Both of my voyages on the QM2 have been Caribbean cruises. There were reunions on both of those.

I pulled out my Daily Programmes to see if the names of the Social Hostesses were listed. On the cruise in 2004, the program lists daily informal social gathering with Mari-Carmen. Her last name is not given and I cannot find any additional references to her. On the cruise in 2005, I cannot even find a first name.

I do know the Social Hostess in 2005 had been on Celebrity Ships for many years. She started as a dancer and then became a Social Hostess, I believe. There was a thread soon after our return mentioning that this person was now on the QM2 and many people had fond memories of her from Celebrity. She certainly was pleasant and fun.

I'm sure someone else with a better memory will be able to furnish the names.

Hi Elaine,

We have done a cruise which went around Britain and up to Iceland and back and it was a great cruise. My sister loved the Fjord cruise on the Sea (she just returned and is sick, however) and the Iberian cruise in May. I don't mind Royal Caribbean at all, but I do prefer Princess. It has the edge and I think the QM2 had the edge over Princess.

We leave on the Pacific Princess in August and today is the first real day of cutting down and shedding some pounds. AAGGHHH.

Gillian

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't miss ANYTHING!!! I had a list that I created from ideas/suggestion from fellow CC members, and I literally checked out each and every place, item etc....took me all of the 12 days on board but it was all so special....this, IMO, is the ultimate ship of my travels so far!!! LuAnn

• 1 month later...

Archived