How many men bring suits on on 7 nt.? (Pearl, specifically)

jan6182

Just wondering if it's worth packing a suit for my husband... he doesn't mind getting dressed up, but the consensus sounds like "dress up or not" night aren't so dressy.

Are there a lot of men wearing suits, OR, pants/shirt/tie? (or possibly less dressy?!?)

Thanks for your help!

We were just on the Pearl last week, I didn't see hardly if any any suits. There was a wide variety of clothing in the main dining room, from dress slacks and nice shirts to a few jeans and t-shirts, which they didn't turn away although it was stated that jeans were not allowed in the summer palace.

Remember there are "formal optional" nights, and if you're in a suit (dark or tuxedo) you will never be out of place.

If you like dressing to the nines, do it ... freestyle baby!

We wore suits and dress clothes for our entire working career, and settling back in a nice pair of slacks and a button-down shirt is what evening casual is all about.

(edited to add: when it came to footwear, it was leather sandals all evening long.)

Hubby never brings a suit, but brings a sports coat instead. I think it depends on whether YOU will be dressing to the nines - I rarely dress up and prefer pants with a nice top, so hubby would look strange next to me in a suit. Either way, you will fit in just fine. I enjoy the mix of styles on dress up or not night!

Robin

Just wondering if it's worth packing a suit for my husband... he doesn't mind getting dressed up, but the consensus sounds like "dress up or not" night aren't so dressy.

Are there a lot of men wearing suits, OR, pants/shirt/tie? (or possibly less dressy?!?)

Thanks for your help!

NEVER! Been wearing suits for 30 years , it's the last thing I want to bring on vacation plus my wife need the extra space for all her shoes.

NEVER! Been wearing suits for 30 years , it's the last thing I want to bring on vacation plus my wife need the extra space for all her shoes.

This is one of the main reasons I love NCL--no suit for me.

Big Green

Five of the seven young men (ages 16-47) going on our cruise on the Pearl will be wearing suits. There's a song that goes "every girl is crazy about a sharp-dressed man" and they are looking to get lucky :D Plus it makes mom (me) happy. And when Mom's happy, everyone is happy. (plus it great for once a year or so pictures)

We cruise NCL for the acceptance of casual attire. No way would we bring formal wear or suits. We just like to look clean and tidy and feel comfortable and happy.

The good thing is that NCL accomodates most styles of dress within their very broad guidelines for what is acceptable or not.

Jean

On our first NCL cruise, I took along a dress for me and a suit for hubby. He wouldn't wear the suit, so I didn't wear the dress. We dressed casually for all meals (casual slacks, nice top).

Second NCL cruise, we didn't take any dress clothes. Wore casual outfits again.

For some reason, hubby doesn't mind dressing up a little for cruises on the other line, but won't dress up on NCL :confused:.

Do what you and your hubby feel comfortable with - dressing up or dressing casually. You'll fit in either way because that's what others do.

Five of the seven young men (ages 16-47) going on our cruise on the Pearl will be wearing suits. There's a song that goes "every girl is crazy about a sharp-dressed man" and they are looking to get lucky :D Plus it makes mom (me) happy. And when Mom's happy, everyone is happy. (plus it great for once a year or so pictures)

RPB- Couldn't agree with you more... Whenever we cruise, I always bring my tux & it's another excuse for my wife gets to go shopping for a new dress :). Since our last cruise, we now have an 18 month old son so he'll be dressed up in his own tux on the optional formal night during our upcoming Alaska cruise. We get dressed-up for the pictures and dinner- then it's back to shorts and t-shirts... Gene

DH will bring his tux if I ask (for the dress up or not formal night) but for the last few cruises, we haven't bothered. He certainly looks like a hottie babe (even after 40 years) in his tux but we've had enough formal pix taken over the years we've been cruising that I won't forget how good we looked in formal wear:D.

The last time I took a suit on a cruise was my 1999 SS Norway cruise. If I'm going to be in cooler climates, I'll take a sport coat, but if I'm going to the tropics, it doesn't go with me. Save the precious luggage space for something else!

Has the phrase "looking to get lucky" changed since my day? I don't think my mom would have been happy about that.:)

DH and I just talked about this...he will wear a sports coat on the plane so he can take it along just in case! I will bring one dress. It is always nice to feel dressed up on a cruise. Enjoy everyone! Pearl in 8 days!

I always take a navy sports coat but rarely a tie. Wear slacks and an open collar shirt to "pay" restaraunts usually and the wife dress up a fair amount and we feel good. But as others say do what you want and dont worry about the others. We like the casual sport coat and a nice cocktail dress feel so that is the way we go. Just enjoy and have fun! The nice thing is that you will not feel out of place with any choice (unless you really get freaky!

Is a suit or sportcoat required for Cagneys?

-maryann

No. I actually saw a guy wearing a t-shirt with a saying on it. They will take your money, it doesn't matter what you are wearing.;) I just want to add that if you are taking the Pearl to Alaska, very few men wore suits, and I don't recall tuxes, but I am sure there were some.

Archived