we have a connecting cabin which we don't need. Would you switch?

lschrage

Hi there-

We booked a grand suite on our AOS cruise that leaves in over a week. I just realized that it is a connecting cabin, and we don't have a need for a connecting cabin. My gut reaction is to have the cabin assignment switched, as I'm not to sure about how I feel about having a connecting cabin. (where do they put the doors anyway?) I looked on RCCL's site and they are showing three grand suites still available, none of which are connecting.

Has anybody had a grand suite on a voyager class ship? If so, did you have one even though you didn't need it? How was it?

What would you guys do?

Lynne

It is no problem! We have had two and never even knew they were there, don't worry about it. I always hope some gourgoues blond would walk through the adjoining door and come see me but never happened. Maybe she didn't know we had adjoining rooms? :rolleyes:

Ira

Granted, Sovereign of the Seas is an older ship I think, but we had an adjoining cabin and you could hear EVERYTHING through the door! It was a girls cruise and we had friends in the adjoining cabin so it wasn't a big deal, but we all commented on how silly it was to hear every sound and how we might have felt uncomfortable if we were travelling with significant others. I wouldn't risk it again if I could avoid it. I'd switch.

IMHO -

Lisa D

I would also switch if you aren't giving up much in terms of cabin position. My co-workers just came back from a sailing on the Navigator, and the adjoining cabin had heavy smokers. Elaine is highly allergic to smoke and they had to have the ship air out their room (which I understand they do a good job of) but they also had to come back again and seal the door to keep the smoke out. She was happy they had a balconey cabin because they were out there a lot the first night.

I have never had a connecting cabin but I do try to avoid them. There is no way that a door can provide the same barrier to sound and smoke that a solid wall does. Also that non usable wall space has to affect your cabin configuration in some way.

I would change if you still can. I had a connecting cabin on the Explorer and you can hear EVERYTHING through the door. Unlike hotel connecting rooms, there is only 1 door between the cabins. The first afternoon onboard, the guy in the next cabin must have been exploring his cabin and opened the door and said to his wife that they had a two bedroom suite. I then burst his bubble and told him that this cabin was mine, then called the steward and had him lock the door.

Thanks for all the advice! I switched the suite from 1560 to 1270. The new suite doesn'y have connecting doors, is located a few cabins more to the center, and is on the other side of the ship. So everything worked out fine.

Lynne

One other issue to consider if you find your self in a connecting cabin and do not need it is that there may be families that need the connecting cabins and can not get them.

That is the case with us on a future cruise where we want/need connecting cabins so that we can have our kids right next door and the last connecting cabin is gone to a group who does not have the other cabin beside it booked. Seems a waste to me to have done this.

One other issue to consider if you find your self in a connecting cabin and do not need it is that there may be families that need the connecting cabins and can not get them.

That is the case with us on a future cruise where we want/need connecting cabins so that we can have our kids right next door and the last connecting cabin is gone to a group who does not have the other cabin beside it booked. Seems a waste to me to have done this.

Actually, at the timed that we upgraded, RCCL only showed one Grand Suite left so we took it. Since then, I've noticed that a few more grand suites had become available, which is how I noticed that ours was a connecting cabin. Since there were other suites available, we changed.

Archived