How many spend time looking at the Ocean

Arwenmark

I was thinking yesterday, the main reason I cruise is to sit and look at the ocean I spend hours of every cruise day doing that, it is why I cruise instead of going to a resort.

Reading many posts here by people who are never in their room except to sleep, made me wonder, they are in lounges, dining, at the pool, and at most pools you really can't see the ocean that well from the pool area or sunbathing again, laying there not looking out to see.

So far that list is all the same as land based things.

True taking a cruise over land based does get you to different ports but How many of you cruise for the sake of the journey itself on the Sea, not just the what will I do when I get there part?

I think this might account for a lot of the differences we see between old time cruisers and the newer, want freestyle everything my way, mega ship people.

They are not looking for a Cruise experience, they are looking for a resort that happens to transport them to other resort areas.

opinions? Who cruises mainly to be at sea and spends time watching it?

We are the other ones. We spend a lot of time in our room/balcony. You can find us anytime, sitting in a lounge chair or regular chair on our balcony, looking at the ocean. If we're in an aft cabin, so much the better! Otherwise, we see the ocean from a side room! Neither of us are game watchers around the pool, etc and like the quiet solitude of our space!

I love to look at the sea. That is what makes the Great Outdoors on the Gem so nice. Also any kind of balcony room. We try to spend time just looking at the water every day. I particuklarly love watching the wake. It is mezmerizing.

we spend some time sitting, him reading and me watching the water.

the nice thing about baloncy rooms, i can leave the curtains open most of the time (except for when they are washing the balconies :eek:).

the views are just too awesome, even if there isn't land in sight

last cruise, my camera got a good work-out...storm over roatan, as we approached. great sunrises and sunsets...calm seas with stormy clouds. just amazing.

1559250398_amazingclouds.jpg.041a18dd223b7bb8778ae735ae625c8d.jpg

284999023_Greatphotoops.jpg.c5e75252188b664b2a41a17af9d482c1.jpg

1052931278_NewCamera.jpg.5e3f7c0f867e389acd9185ece937cd32.jpg

We too spend many hours on the balcony looking out, day and night. Our first cruise was Hawaii and so we would sail at night to get to the next port. I loved it but can't wait to have more daytime travel time on the ship. Don't get me wrong I loved seeing all the islands but want to have a less hectic port intensive experience next time. Our upcoming April cruise is on the sky so we still wont get much daytime sea travel. I have no excursion plans so will likely stay on the balcony alot. September will be our 1st cruise that has actual sea days...really excited about that. We are not interested in anything at the pool or any silly games...just want to relax and enjoy the balcony with our binoculars and occasional sip of something cool. Ahhh, a little bit of heaven...

Our first cruise -- on Carnival -- was all about the activities and ports -- GO,GO,GO. However, with each additional cruise (18+) it was more about relaxation and "water viewing" than anything else. Now, I can honestly say, we sometimes will stay on board during port days -- it's like having the whole ship to yourselves! Plus --- SEA DAYS -- YEA!!!!

How about the weird feeling you get staring at the dark water at night over the railing ?? Come on you know what I mean , It just calls to you :eek:

:D

I thought I was the only one who had that feeling!! It's the weirdest thing cause I'm not suicidal at all but it's almost like you could just jump in. Wonder if that's what happens to some of these people who go overboard? Sorry to sound so sick but I wonder and where else can I say this and remain fairly anonymous? lol

To answer the OP, we don't stay onboard when docking but I love just sitting and watching the ocean when we're at sea. Your worries just seem to melt into the ocean. It's like you're in another world and I guess you are! The best of both worlds.

We cruisers are the luckiest people!

We are 'aft' lovers, and spend several hours (at least) every day, just watching the wake... the ocean, birds, occasional fish..

Clouds, sunsets, sunrise.. :p

I like to leave the drapes open, so the sun awakens me in the AM, just to go out and see the ocean..:)

Sunsets and distant storms are my favorites..

And yes, we've been known to stay onboard in port, just to relax on our balcony...:D

How about the weird feeling you get staring at the dark water at night over the railing ?? Come on you know what I mean , It just calls to you :eek:

:D

Yes that is one reason you get a lot of suicides on ships.

I was thinking yesterday, the main reason I cruise is to sit and look at the ocean I spend hours of every cruise day doing that, it is why I cruise instead of going to a resort.

Reading many posts here by people who are never in their room except to sleep, made me wonder, they are in lounges, dining, at the pool, and at most pools you really can't see the ocean that well from the pool area or sunbathing again, laying there not looking out to see.

So far that list is all the same as land based things.

True taking a cruise over land based does get you to different ports but How many of you cruise for the sake of the journey itself on the Sea, not just the what will I do when I get there part?

I think this might account for a lot of the differences we see between old time cruisers and the newer, want freestyle everything my way, mega ship people.

They are not looking for a Cruise experience, they are looking for a resort that happens to transport them to other resort areas.

opinions? Who cruises mainly to be at sea and spends time watching it?

Me; I do! That is my favorite thing to do. I can sit there looking at the water for hours. That is why I must have a balcony.

I can't wait to get back.

I enjoy looking at the water so much, I go for months here at home without getting my hair cut. I save my money so I can go to the salon on board, just so I have the pleasure of having my hair done in a chair while looking out the windows at the oceans.:o Thanks for reminding me!:D

Me; I do! That is my favorite thing to do. I can sit there looking at the water for hours. That is why I must have a balcony.

I can't wait to get back.

Couldn't have said it better. 12 more days & I will be on my balcony looking at the water, breathing the fresh salt air, & just relaxing :D Whaa whoo

Past Cruises:

2003 RCL Serenade of the Seas – Canada

2004 RCL Voyager of the Seas – Western Caribbean

2005 RCL Jewel of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic

2006 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2006 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2007 RCL Radiance of the Seas – Hawaii Circle

2008 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean

2008 HAL Eurodam – NYC Introduction Cruise

Future Cruises:

2009 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean

2009 NCL Norwegian Jewel – New England & Canada

last cruise, my camera got a good work-out...storm over roatan, as we approached.

Roatan must be the place to see awesome skies. The morning we were arriving there it was raining briefly, when it stopped we were at the Great Outdoors and saw a beautiful rainbow.

We too love the sea and spending hours watching it. I love waking up during the night and sitting on the balcony. This last cruise was a real treat having the AFT balcony.

292586674_NCLPearl-RoatanHonduras2-10-09005.jpg.e67fe354f73a9e7fab1aece1cbee562a.jpg

121689125_NCLPearl-RoatanHonduras2-10-09006.jpg.91eaab72623c0305633c23ea4427ffb9.jpg

I think that is what I will do the most! I might be weird, but I plan on doing none of the shows. I can do that on land, right? ;)

I plan on looking at the water as much as possible. I will get up early if I need to to see the sun coming up, and be outside to see the sun go down as well. I'll probably be impatient at meals. Wanting to get UP and go see again LOL

One question. How close to the edge (railing)CAN you get? I know you would have to be up pretty high, or be doing something "stupid" to "fall" overboard, but how can I see the ship going through the water? Is there some place to do that? (first time cruiser) :o

We spend the majority of our time lounging on our balcony and sometimes don't even disembark every port. The sunrise and sunsets from our AFT suite are beyond words and DH and I love lying in our loungers at night, staring at the stars and enjoying the moon turning the wake to silver.....

The fact that the ship actually stops at ports is a bonus but we'd be equally happy just to cruise in circles....

Ahoy Arwenmark!!

We are with you! We love to sit on our balcony and watch the sun come up. It is fantastic to be able to watch as you get closer to port and see all the activities of docking. We are on the Gem 3/28 and it will be our 6th cruise 4 of them with balconies and two with ocean view (because there are no balconies on the Norway or only suites on the Magesty). We find the quiet time to be so soothing, time to read listen to classical music and just to be together for well deserved quality time. We live in Boston and on every Sunday in the summer we sit on Castle Island near the Black Falcon pier and watch the Magesty or this year it was the Dream sail by our lounging spot at 4:15 exactly. We always cheer the cruisers and once when we sailed on it we were cheered by family and friends. We love land vacations and have toured considerably in Europe, but that feeling of complete relaxation has it all.

13 days til our Gem of a vacation!!

Ann and Bernie

Archived